Author Topic: Potential Materialism: The "What I might buy" Thread  (Read 381105 times)

Offline Odin

• General Member
  • Resident Sociopath
Re: Potential Materialism: The "What I might buy" Thread
« Reply #7925 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 08:59:46 pm »
How big is your house to have a 65” screen? 😮
Minge Tingles

Online TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #7926 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 09:06:21 pm »
HTT, you do know the Switch is portable, yeah?

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7927 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 10:23:20 pm »
HTT, you do know the Switch is portable, yeah?

Nintendo? Aye, but can also be played on the telly. Bought both boys one each, learned it can be played by two people from the console itself. Don’t fancy the fighting over onwnership though or different games, 280 quid apiece just the console, didn’t want a bundle with fortnight too violent IMO for 5/6 year olds.

That’s their biggest present though in terms of expense, spent well under 500 quid each on both and they will have about 6 things to open each on Xmas day minus clothes. They don’t need much, some parents go crazy on spend and number of presents. My two, grantee will end the day with pens and paper or Lego.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Online TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #7928 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 10:33:41 pm »
Aye I just meant with you wanting (not sure if your boys come under that) to get away from being glued to your iPads. Easily done with a Switch as well with it being portable.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7929 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 10:47:34 pm »
Ah right and aye I want them away from their iPads too. I’ll be taking them to London for the new year to visit my sis after Xmas so I’m hoping it will kill some time for them and be a break from their iPads back there which I have to pre download things for them to watch or hook up an internet connection via my phone so they have a bit of control what they watch. Was gonna get some dvd headrest things for my car and looked at built in ones from the maker, but 1500 quid so some other brats can enjoy when I sell it, no thanks.

This is my first venture into game consoles for them which I’ve never played since the Mega Drive was all the rage when I was a kid, so I find it mad you can’t just stream or download games to a console or pay a subscription kind of access fee for games and still have to buy games. Got the 5 years old FIFA 19 40 quid plus and the 6 year old Mario Cart same price.

Wouldnt have a clue if it’s a disc, cartridge or sim. Definitely turning into an old man :lol:

The packaging though, a Pokemon game I picked up looked like one of those ripped DVDs.

Apparently the Switch has been out a while and I’m a bit behind the times and so are my kids whose friends probably got one last Xmas.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7930 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 11:23:53 pm »
How big is your house to have a 65” screen? 😮

It’s a flat and a canny size. Our living room is akin to a 5-a-side pitch and the ceilings are easily 4m plus in height from the living room. I say flat we do have an upstairs in terms of our bedroom, but it eats into the loft based on a mezzanine. It’s quite a unique place and from the outside you would never know.

When we bought our home the huge telly was included and it we’ve tried to replace it since, but anything smaller just looks daft and feels weird to watch which I know is because we are so used to this big daft telly, but as a centre-piece of the living room we need something as big to replace it with especially given how things are laid out.

I measured it earlier on and it is actually 70 inches and weighs a tonne, it’s an LG. It’s so slow and the kids’ 28 inch telly in their room has a better picture. It was hooked up to all kinds of speakers and stuff which I disconnected and ended up giving to a mate as the floors would vibrate. Back in its day I imagine it was top of the range and given it age and size, has lasted well.

Will look like a cinema screen in my brother’s house :D

Online Pata

• General Member
  • N-O FF Champ 2018
« Reply #7931 on: Tuesday 18 December 2018, 03:10:10 am »
Ah right and aye I want them away from their iPads too. I’ll be taking them to London for the new year to visit my sis after Xmas so I’m hoping it will kill some time for them and be a break from their iPads back there which I have to pre download things for them to watch or hook up an internet connection via my phone so they have a bit of control what they watch. Was gonna get some dvd headrest things for my car and looked at built in ones from the maker, but 1500 quid so some other brats can enjoy when I sell it, no thanks.

This is my first venture into game consoles for them which I’ve never played since the Mega Drive was all the rage when I was a kid, so I find it mad you can’t just stream or download games to a console or pay a subscription kind of access fee for games and still have to buy games. Got the 5 years old FIFA 19 40 quid plus and the 6 year old Mario Cart same price.

Wouldnt have a clue if it’s a disc, cartridge or sim. Definitely turning into an old man :lol:

The packaging though, a Pokemon game I picked up looked like one of those ripped DVDs.

Apparently the Switch has been out a while and I’m a bit behind the times and so are my kids whose friends probably got one last Xmas.

I assume you got this info from some other old man.  ;)

Offline Decky

• General Member
« Reply #7932 on: Tuesday 18 December 2018, 04:53:06 am »
Aye. :lol: You can download and stream games on the PS4.

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #7933 on: Tuesday 18 December 2018, 08:03:17 pm »
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #7934 on: Tuesday 18 December 2018, 10:05:24 pm »
Oi oiiiiii! I saw one on eBay the other day but it was over £100. :lol: You managed to find a cheaper one?

Also, beware that they can go a bit washed out in the wash.
Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know that we riddled some middle men who didn't do diddely.

{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #7935 on: Tuesday 18 December 2018, 10:58:55 pm »
Oi oiiiiii! I saw one on eBay the other day but it was over £100. :lol: You managed to find a cheaper one?

Also, beware that they can go a bit washed out in the wash.

It's on Ebay. The buy it now price is ridiculous but I offered the guy a much lower price and he's going to take it. Just need to wait until my birthday on Friday to get actual money in my bank account for it, now. :lol:
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Online BergenMagpie

• General Member
« Reply #7936 on: Friday 21 December 2018, 07:12:43 am »

Been wanting this watch since I saw Inception back in 2010, but spending the years after doing the army duty and then studying, I never managed to save up money for it at 2300 pounds.
I thought I was going to get a job I applied for last year and wanted to celebrate it being my first job after graduating, but out of 67 applicants I was the last to not get it. Then I spent a year working in Prague and went back to my alcohaulin party ways spending all my salaries there on the ridiculously good beer.

Now that Im back in Norway, relatively sober and has been very lucky to get a job I really wanted I might get it in January as I also got some advanced inheritance from my grandma. Still, at this price Im thinking I could do a lot, and Im already very satisfied with this $140 Massimo Dutti watch I got back in 2014, which also goes a bit better with my style so this has become a more difficult decision than I thought it would be.

However, it would be cool to "celebrate" adult life with a watch I could wear for ages. Therefore I am wondering if anyone has some experiences with Tag Heuer watches? I would want to be able to wear it at least every other day until I die so I want to make sure it will be running smoothly and not require a lot of service.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7937 on: Friday 21 December 2018, 02:09:27 pm »

Been wanting this watch since I saw Inception back in 2010, but spending the years after doing the army duty and then studying, I never managed to save up money for it at 2300 pounds.
I thought I was going to get a job I applied for last year and wanted to celebrate it being my first job after graduating, but out of 67 applicants I was the last to not get it. Then I spent a year working in Prague and went back to my alcohaulin party ways spending all my salaries there on the ridiculously good beer.

Now that Im back in Norway, relatively sober and has been very lucky to get a job I really wanted I might get it in January as I also got some advanced inheritance from my grandma. Still, at this price Im thinking I could do a lot, and Im already very satisfied with this $140 Massimo Dutti watch I got back in 2014, which also goes a bit better with my style so this has become a more difficult decision than I thought it would be.

However, it would be cool to "celebrate" adult life with a watch I could wear for ages. Therefore I am wondering if anyone has some experiences with Tag Heuer watches? I would want to be able to wear it at least every other day until I die so I want to make sure it will be running smoothly and not require a lot of service.

I had a Tag and I’m actually thinking of getting another, great watches, stylish and they hold their value quitewell. The one you’ve posted is very nice, if you can afford it get one, you only live once and I always find when you’ve lusted after something for such a long time it’s more rewarding from a personal sense when you finally get whatever it is you’ve lusted after be it a car, a watch, visiting a certain country or doing something you’ve always wanted.

A wise man who knows his stuff when it comes to watches once told me a good watch will last a lifetime and the better the make it can become a sound investment financially. My Rolex is worth more today than what I paid for it a few years back and the way I look at it is if I’m skint or needing money it’s better than an ATM or credit card. Plus god knows what it will be worth when I hand it down to my kids as an heirloom.

Love watches me, I would be like these celebs with trainers if I had the money, a huge collection of watfches. Sad thing is I never wear one as I’m always at work and I can’t wear them in the house as it just feels weird so my watches usually end up in my desk drawer.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #7938 on: Saturday 22 December 2018, 12:58:31 pm »
On the subject of TVs.
I have a 55" Panasonic, and an Apple TV 4K.
I got rid of Virgin Media's TV service which was costing an extra £50 a month, and now I subscribe to Netflix, iPlayer, Amazon Prime and Now TV (Also have ITV Hub and All4, but there's nothing on these channels that I'm interested in)
Works out about £30 cheaper per month.
I think our colonial friends have christened it, 'Cutting the Cable'.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • eŗ̼̱͉̮ͨaͨ̆ͨ͌̿̚҉̞̝̖̼͕s̜̦ͣͧͥ̒̾̌ͭeyou̿̓ŗ̼̱͉̮ͨmi͒nd
« Reply #7939 on: Saturday 22 December 2018, 02:37:34 pm »
Cord

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #7940 on: Sunday 23 December 2018, 11:59:46 am »

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • eŗ̼̱͉̮ͨaͨ̆ͨ͌̿̚҉̞̝̖̼͕s̜̦ͣͧͥ̒̾̌ͭeyou̿̓ŗ̼̱͉̮ͨmi͒nd
« Reply #7941 on: Sunday 23 December 2018, 12:23:10 pm »
Better

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7942 on: Sunday 23 December 2018, 09:44:00 pm »
Aye. :lol: You can download and stream games on the PS4.

So why the f*** do they still make games in physical format?

Waste of manufacturing and packgaging. Is it to maintain the used games/game swapping industry or something?

CDs and DVDs likewise, surely there is no need today to put music and films onto a disc? Makes no sense.

Unless it’s cheaper or more practical to do so than uploading, hosting and selling downloads and streams online for the gaming industry.

Regarding the TV I went to buy the one linked in here from Costco because I can claim the VAT back, but they only had it in 55 inches in store, online it wouldn’t arrive til after Xmas so I’m wondering if that same telly will end up cheaper in the sales after Xmas?

Looks like I’ve measured our current one wrong as well because the 70 inch ones on display in Costco look much smaller than our old one by a good few extra inches, I can’t wrap my arms around the length of our TV.

I’m sold on OLED though, of all those on display OLED TVs seemed to have the best picture and the LG telly has a remote you swipe/move to navigate rather than point and press buttons, seems more fluid and more interactive. Also seems like it’s pre built with amazon, Netflix etc.

There was a huge telly for sale for less than 1k, dunno make, but I was tempted because the picture is better than ours, but nowhere near as good as the OLED ones.

Costco mind, you can keep it, I think it’s a con trick claiming cheap prices. I spent my time there sampling their food and drink samples while the wife bought multi-packs of this and that we don’t need or can easily buy singular. Multi-pack bottles of coke? Washing up liquid? Beer no-one will drink in our household? Frozen s*** for the freezer which will stay frozen all year and random art stuff for the kids to graffiti the house with. Wouldn’t have minded so much, but it was my card she used at check out to pay for this s***.

Online Pata

• General Member
  • N-O FF Champ 2018
« Reply #7943 on: Sunday 23 December 2018, 09:51:05 pm »
Physical games are very often cheaper which makes no sense. People also like to trade in games they have completed or some people like to collect physical games. Some people are also worried about what happens with their digital games in 10-20 years.

Microsoft tried to go mostly digital with their newest console but had to backtrack after a massive backlash.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7944 on: Sunday 23 December 2018, 11:00:37 pm »
So gamers are seriously protective of their gaming traditions/culture? f***ing nerds.

Used games industry doesn’t benefit the manufacturers financally, only benefit I can see selling/swapping frees up money/shelves for new games.

Again doesn’t make sense.

Open a library of games one can subscribe to access, rent games to gamers they can rent over a period of time or download in full to own which expires after a set period. Create a swap library one can subscribe to access to upload games others can buy to play at a lower price based on length of time left before expirary which the gamers selling get the money from and the games companies get a percentage fee for.

Swaps being free but limited to set number which can be unlocked for a fee.

Licence consoles to tv makers and games to sky or bt or whatever to come built in with the tv itself or sky package. Create console apps for phones and tablets. No need for physical stand alone consoles or physical games. Sega earned more money from making games than consoles, although I imagine Sony make a s*** load from the PlayStation, but I’ve just paid 280 for the kids Switch and 40 quid for a CD game.

Online Pata

• General Member
  • N-O FF Champ 2018
« Reply #7945 on: Sunday 23 December 2018, 11:20:48 pm »
I could answer by writing an essay about cars but I doubt you would find it interesting as I know f*** all about them.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Midhat!
« Reply #7946 on: Tuesday 25 December 2018, 12:04:48 am »

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #7947 on: Tuesday 25 December 2018, 04:57:18 am »
Bearings Straight!

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Midhat!
« Reply #7948 on: Tuesday 25 December 2018, 05:07:33 am »

Looks a bit  uncomfortable mate.

A little Lucas Oil green grease and it does the job!

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7949 on: Tuesday 25 December 2018, 11:44:03 am »
Practically every new TV will have some smart features. Each brand will have different applications but Netflix is probably a given. Amazon might vary more.

Either way, you'd be better off buying a Roku or something for £30. I wouldn't let smart features affect your purchase at all.

Got the Roku thing for now, works a treat so cheers for the recommendation.

The telly I want linked on here is already under 1800 quid on John Lewis instead of 2k, glad I didn’t buy it the other day.