Author Topic: The Car Thread  (Read 268680 times)

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
Re: The Car Thread
« Reply #6250 on: Monday 13 May 2019, 01:21:33 pm »
With my new car I’ve got a much clearer set of checklists and instructions for what damage they would charge for, how to return it etc. Maybe because this is a Merc and the other one was just a Smart. Poor relation.

The people in the finance dept are surprisingly bad like, considering how valuable these accounts are.

Offline ED209

• insano
  • General Member
« Reply #6251 on: Wednesday 15 May 2019, 07:43:37 am »
With my new car I’ve got a much clearer set of checklists and instructions for what damage they would charge for, how to return it etc. Maybe because this is a Merc and the other one was just a Smart. Poor relation.

The people in the finance dept are surprisingly bad like, considering how valuable these accounts are.

VW finance are the same, they give you a booklet showing exactly what is acceptable and what will be charged for, even gives dimensions.
In the end what you remember are not the words of your enemies but the silence of your friends.

Online TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #6252 on: Wednesday 15 May 2019, 07:59:17 am »
I'm pretty sure it's industry standard.

Still, I think it's pretty harsh that they expect a car to be returned in near perfection. My last car got collected with a quarter of a tank left, the guy collecting it complained it wasn't enough for him to take the car to Edinburgh, so what :lol:   

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #6253 on: Wednesday 15 May 2019, 10:47:56 am »
This wasn’t damage TBF, it was missed service. Which weren’t actually missed but they destroyed the receipts.

The guy who actually picked up the car barely looked at it and he arrived in the dark :lol:

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #6254 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 01:35:08 pm »
My car's MOT has expired, and the engine management light is on my dash. If I take it for an MOT and it fails (it will) if the repair is a stupid amount of money that I don't want to pay, what are my options? I mean presumably its deemed unroadworthy or whatever and I can't drive it? what happens in this situation?
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #6255 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 01:55:26 pm »
Presumably you’re driving it illegally anyway if the MOT has expired, your insurance and/or tax won’t be valid. I think.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #6256 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 02:07:07 pm »
You can legally drive to a pre booked test, but its after the test I'm worried about. I haven't been driving it around out of MOT. I just don't want to be in a situation where they say oh yeah its gonna cost 1k to fix it and my car isn't even worth that.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #6257 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 02:09:33 pm »
Should have realised that myself :lol:

Good question, I guess you would be able to call other garages for prices once you know what the problem is. They might even collect it. But not sure about the law around driving it somewhere else.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #6258 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 02:12:03 pm »
Yeah that's what worries me, it could be anything and I really am not arsed to pay a load for a repair that is more than my car is worth. I don't want it stuck at the MOT centre.

Online TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #6259 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 02:14:01 pm »
I think you can still drive away (Only to get it fixed) as long as the fault isn't classed as 'dangerous'.

An engine management light being on doesn't necessarily mean it's something serious. Last time mine came on it was just a dodgy spark plug causing a misfire. Cost next to nothing to fix.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #6260 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 02:26:14 pm »
I think you can still drive away (Only to get it fixed) as long as the fault isn't classed as 'dangerous'.

An engine management light being on doesn't necessarily mean it's something serious. Last time mine came on it was just a dodgy spark plug causing a misfire. Cost next to nothing to fix.

I'm praying that's the issue like, its amber so that gives me some hope and the car seems to drive fine. I just don't want it stuck at the garage with spiraling repair costs would rather bin the car off.

Offline Hhtoon

• General Member
« Reply #6261 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 07:12:12 pm »

I'm praying that's the issue like, its amber so that gives me some hope and the car seems to drive fine. I just don't want it stuck at the garage with spiraling repair costs would rather bin the car off.

Are you in a rush to get it on the road? Might be able to get a cheap diagnostic code reader to find the issue beforehand

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #6262 on: Friday 17 May 2019, 12:12:12 am »
Aye I kind of need it on the road, if the issue is minor then that would be ideal, I just don't want to get to a garage and then be hit with a bill for 500 quid and its not worth paying.

Offline LFEE

• General Member
« Reply #6263 on: Friday 17 May 2019, 04:13:51 am »
Aye I kind of need it on the road, if the issue is minor then that would be ideal, I just don't want to get to a garage and then be hit with a bill for 500 quid and its not worth paying.

For a car to get through an MOT it only needs to pass some very basic tests. Doesn’t have to have everything working perfectly. Choose your MOT garage wisely as some will go overboard with repair recommendations.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #6264 on: Friday 17 May 2019, 08:00:11 pm »
£175 on 2 near front tyres.  :dave:

Rears need doing soon, £320.  :weep:

Offline Kevo

• General Member
« Reply #6265 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 08:13:29 am »
Some c*nt has reversed (I assume) into my back passenger door and scratched it all. Probably a few inches in size.

Why just leave? Pricks. Not even that bad as I will be able to touch it up but driving off without a note infuriates me. But I do live in London..

Offline John P

• General Member
« Reply #6266 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 12:05:49 pm »
Now we have a family, we're finally getting around to buying a better car and have been looking at estate options. Don't really want to be spending more than around £8-9,000 and seems we can get a 2015 Insignia / Astra / Golf / Focus with around 30,000 miles on the clock for this price. Anyone have any particular opinion or advice on any of these? Also seen a Hyundai i40 and Octavias for around £9,500-10,000 mark if people think these would be a better option? Mainly bothered about interior and boot space, safety, reliability and economy above everything else.

Online LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #6267 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 12:29:21 pm »
Now we have a family, we're finally getting around to buying a better car and have been looking at estate options. Don't really want to be spending more than around £8-9,000 and seems we can get a 2015 Insignia / Astra / Golf / Focus with around 30,000 miles on the clock for this price. Anyone have any particular opinion or advice on any of these? Also seen a Hyundai i40 and Octavias for around £9,500-10,000 mark if people think these would be a better option? Mainly bothered about interior and boot space, safety, reliability and economy above everything else.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/topten/top-10-large-estates-for-gbp20000/
https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/recommended/best-estate-cars
https://www.whatcar.com/news/best-estate-cars-2019-and-the-ones-to-avoid/n16998
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/best-cars/top-10-best-estate-cars

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/superb-estate-2010/
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/octavia-estate-2013/
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/vauxhall/astra-k-sports-tourer-2016/
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/vauxhall/insignia-sports-tourer-2008/
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/golf-vii-estate-2013/
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/focus-estate-2014/
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/hyundai/i40-tourer-2011/
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/avensis-touring-sports-2015/
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mazda/6-tourer-2012/
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Offline astraguy

• General Member
« Reply #6268 on: Tuesday 28 May 2019, 09:08:40 pm »
Has anyone ever brought a car that's been written off but repaired? It's a Category S vehicle so may be repaired and put back on the road but i've no idea if this affects insurance and you selling it later on

Online Greg

• General Member
« Reply #6269 on: Tuesday 28 May 2019, 09:43:39 pm »
Avoid Cat S, that's structural damage.

Offline nemtizz

• General Member
« Reply #6270 on: Monday 8 July 2019, 02:21:16 am »

Ridiculous thing.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #6271 on: Monday 5 August 2019, 04:27:47 pm »
Just picked up this old retro classic today, 3 owners, 61k on the clock, mint interior, drives superb, 2.0 flat 6 auto, 2k cash. Was listed for 3k, but I know the dealer very well.

CF15-D766-A1-FB-474-A-9017-7-B8-E6-F6-C181-E" border="0

I’ve been looking for a usable project type classic car for a while now and had arranged to go and test drive a superb 94 Mercedes S500 V8 coupe on Saturday, but the dealer sold it. Ideally I wanted a Merc, but I’m glad to be back in an oldskool BMW having had a 635 CSI a few years back.

It’s booked in with our mechanic tomorrow for a going over and a health check and if all is well, it’s going with me and my mate he comes on a road trip around Europe for a few days towards the end of the week. The front and rear driver’s side electric windows are a bit iffy but my mechanic says they just need put back on their rails or whatever it was he called it. He’s hoping he won’t have to order parts in as the electric switch seems to be working fine. That can wait if so.

It needs the air con regassed and there are a few minor chips and some surface area rust bubbles at the boot lid and on one of the wheel arches. Other than that it’s clean as anything and the interior has no rips, sagging or worn/cracked trim areas. All the electrics work. I’m well chuffed.

It’s a usable project car I can take the boys out in to car shows and blast around Europe in, use to keep the miles down on the Merc and I don’t think I’ll lose my money on it in terms of the cost to buy it.

Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline nemtizz

• General Member
« Reply #6272 on: Sunday 11 August 2019, 09:30:49 pm »
Lovely looking thing. How's the gearbox?

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #6273 on: Monday 12 August 2019, 04:07:50 am »

Couple of mods, it's covered in cheese and pepperoni :lol:
Bearings Straight!

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #6274 on: Monday 12 August 2019, 09:46:02 am »

It takes a bit getting used to as it only starts to get going higher up the revs and over 50, bit the whole car is silky smooth. I’m currently in Europe with it and other than a dead battery it’s been brilliant! Needs added cheese though!
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had