Author Topic: Woodstock 50 years ago  (Read 263 times)

Offline The Little Waster

• General Member
Woodstock 50 years ago
« on: Saturday 17 August 2019, 09:32:43 am »
Iconic festival or merely hippie mud bath ?
" We are on the brink of a new era , if only ... "

Offline Incognito

• General Member
  • Get your hands off me you freak
Re: Woodstock 50 years ago
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 August 2019, 09:52:07 am »
Bit of both I'd say.
RIP gejon/cajun/ Jon Lockwood.

Proud to have made your acquaintance Sir.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 August 2019, 10:39:34 am »
Big corporate event nowadays!
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline bigfella

• General Member
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 August 2019, 11:39:36 am »
Some great performances (Sly Stone, Santana, Joe Cocker), some average stuff from usually good acts ( Hendrix, The Who)  and some absolute dog turd (Country Joe, John Sebastian).
It's worth checking out the director's cut and the Woodstock Diaries DVDs, they've got some excellent footage from The Band, Tim Hardin and CSN that should have been in the original film.

Offline Incognito

• General Member
  • Get your hands off me you freak
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 August 2019, 12:02:08 pm »
Some great performances (Sly Stone, Santana, Joe Cocker), some average stuff from usually good acts ( Hendrix, The Who)  and some absolute dog turd (Country Joe, John Sebastian).
It's worth checking out the director's cut and the Woodstock Diaries DVDs, they've got some excellent footage from The Band, Tim Hardin and CSN that should have been in the original film.

It's a good job there's a film record of the event because had there not been, I'm sure John Sebastian wouldn't have known he was there  :lol:
RIP gejon/cajun/ Jon Lockwood.

Proud to have made your acquaintance Sir.

Offline The Little Waster

• General Member
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 August 2019, 12:28:51 pm »

You jest surely ?
Jimi does an incredible version of Voodoo Chile followed by an iconic reading of The Star Spangled Banner / Purple Haze and Villanova Junction ... that alone eclipses anyone else
" We are on the brink of a new era , if only ... "

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 August 2019, 02:03:41 pm »
Big corporate event nowadays!

Impressive for a one-off event in the sixties!

Offline Haz

• formerly known as Haswell
  • General Member
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 August 2019, 10:24:13 am »

You jest surely ?
Jimi does an incredible version of Voodoo Chile followed by an iconic reading of The Star Spangled Banner / Purple Haze and Villanova Junction ... that alone eclipses anyone else

Jimi Hendrix Live at Woodstock is the best Album by Hendrix ever. Its raw and superb.
Drinking alcohol never solves anything. But neither does drinking milk.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 August 2019, 10:27:06 am »

You jest surely ?

Agreed.

Offline bigfella

• General Member
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 August 2019, 11:09:25 am »
Just my opinion, but I find Band Of Gypsies era Jimi pretty hard work. Much preferred his earlier Experience days. Monterrey Hendrix over Woodstock every time.