Author Topic: The photo thread  (Read 568507 times)

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
Re: The photo thread
« Reply #10675 on: Monday 18 February 2019, 01:55:05 pm »
Always wondered how you (people in general) go about getting the shot like the 2 people walking under the bridge.  Like do you tell them? Ignore them and take their pic? Take it on the sly? :lol:

A bit of 2 and 3.  Usually I'll adopt a crouched Serious Photographer Fiddling With Settings pose and simply hold it after folk have passed, the implication being that it wasn't them I was after but something behind them.  Asking permission ruins a street shot, you don't want models. I've done it occasionally but I prefer people looking natural like that.

The people in the Cheviots had to be sneaked, though; tricks like that don't work when you're the only other person in five miles :)

Cheers Beren :)

Great pics OC.

To add to your reply, I did a street photography course in London a few year's back, where the photographer in charge gave us a few strategies for dealing with this particular question.

She recommended:
1. Smile and say something like, 'Oh, sorry, you were just so photogenic, I needed to get the shot' - Only really works for women taking the shot, sounds creepy when it's a man.
2. Your own method of framing the foreground and pretend to be setting up, and then wait for the person to walk into shot.
3. Printing little business cards in small runs, and hand them out should anyone complain. Say something like 'it'll be up on my website soon'. 'If you don't want it up, then send me an email. All the details are on the card.'

Mind you first time we did a street run down Brick Lane, I was taking pictures of the market traders, and one African woman got aggressive and asked me to delete the shots.
Apart from that, I've had a few scowly faces but nothing really bad.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10676 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 04:43:04 pm »

Aye, it's really about knowing how you'll deal with it if it becomes an issue.  Ultimately it's a legal thing to do and if you've got the confidence for it then there's nothing folk can do to stop you, as long as you and they are in a public place.  I've only been asked about it once, and not even by somebody who I was taking pictures of.  I just told her I was a photographer; that seemed to work OK.  Like Quakes says, if you look like you know what you're doing then people generally ignore you.

A sunrise, Blencathra today and a beach.  The woman is a random and passed as I was crouched down trying to get feet in the sand shots.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10677 on: Sunday 24 February 2019, 02:12:39 pm »

Fog

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
« Reply #10678 on: Friday 1 March 2019, 07:44:41 pm »
Where's decent to head out for photos that's within a reasonable bus/train journey from town?
« Last Edit: Friday 1 March 2019, 07:55:01 pm by Fugazi »
Consider winning

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
« Reply #10679 on: Friday 1 March 2019, 08:36:20 pm »

Consider winning

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10680 on: Saturday 2 March 2019, 04:55:29 pm »

Very nice :thup:  What sort of photos are you after heading out for?

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10681 on: Saturday 2 March 2019, 04:56:13 pm »

« Last Edit: Tuesday 5 March 2019, 03:43:04 pm by OpenC »

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10682 on: Tuesday 5 March 2019, 03:43:16 pm »

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #10683 on: Tuesday 5 March 2019, 04:11:15 pm »
"Now kiss."

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #10684 on: Saturday 9 March 2019, 01:01:01 pm »
Few new collage/photo montage pieces. Proper wanting to get these shared about to local musical artists or authors looking for book cover designs or album artwork. If you know anyone who they may be suitable or interesting for please do share. (site link in sig.)

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #10685 on: Sunday 10 March 2019, 12:50:35 pm »
Few new collage/photo montage pieces. Proper wanting to get these shared about to local musical artists or authors looking for book cover designs or album artwork. If you know anyone who they may be suitable or interesting for please do share. (site link in sig.)

Nice work.

• General Member
« Reply #10686 on: Sunday 10 March 2019, 01:38:52 pm »
Cheers :thup:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10687 on: Thursday 14 March 2019, 08:12:25 pm »
Picked up a cheap 10 stop ND filter for the FZ1000.  Assumed that the combination of small sensor and cheap filter would render it worthless, but was pleasantly surprised at my first attempt with it

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #10688 on: Friday 15 March 2019, 07:41:37 am »
Doesn't appear to have as much of a blue cast as some of the ones I've used either. Although you may have corrected for that?

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10689 on: Friday 15 March 2019, 09:05:56 am »

I always shoot raw so the white balance is (theoretically) controllable, but as you know that's an area which I'm never confident with.  I pushed the red/orange/yellow well into the positive for this, not sure how natural it ended up looking but it's much like I remember the scene looking.

If anybody's interested, it was a Pig Iron ND1000 which I paid £12 for the 62mm version of; I just bought a 52mm version for the bairn's Canon lenses and it was a tenner.  Well worth having one in your bag, if you've also got a tripod or a beanbag (and some way of calculating the exposure).

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10690 on: Sunday 17 March 2019, 01:19:45 pm »
Yeah, I really like this camera (original FZ1000).  Very versatile.  Not so very sharp at the long end but if you don't need to crop a huge amount then it's perfectly workable.  I think it has the distinction of being the camera that I've used for the longest continuous time since my first RX100.

« Last Edit: Sunday 17 March 2019, 04:55:24 pm by OpenC »

• General Member
« Reply #10691 on: Sunday 17 March 2019, 05:58:23 pm »
First one is real nice, OC :thup: ND filter? Did you ever use the in-built x100s one? Never tried it myself but I've watched people on youtube get some canny results out of it not too dissimilar to yours here.

Few new collage pieces from today.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10692 on: Sunday 17 March 2019, 06:04:18 pm »
Aye, I used to use it all the time on the Fuji just to keep the shutter speed down because I prefer shooting open. Was handy to have but only three stops which is standard for a built in but doesn't do a lot against midday sun; this one is ten stops which let me use a five or six second exposure in bright daylight even with a minimum possible aperture of f/8. Looking forward to using it on people in Newcastle :)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10693 on: Saturday 23 March 2019, 03:30:27 pm »

Northumberland :aww:

More coming, almost certainly

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10694 on: Saturday 23 March 2019, 06:19:11 pm »

• General Member
« Reply #10695 on: Sunday 24 March 2019, 12:29:42 am »
Superb, OC :thup: Goes without saying that the last one is incredible - I love the diagonal line of water nearish to the centre of frame, the whole composition is excellent. The light on the rocks to the left is lovely too.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10696 on: Sunday 24 March 2019, 08:00:48 am »
Thanks man, been trying on and off to find that waterfall for a couple of years now :) I could have spent hours there.

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10697 on: Sunday 24 March 2019, 09:05:16 am »
Loving the waterfall shots OC - you need to get yourself booked up for a trip to Iceland...the place is stuffed full of them.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #10698 on: Monday 25 March 2019, 01:51:41 pm »
First one is real nice, OC :thup: ND filter? Did you ever use the in-built x100s one? Never tried it myself but I've watched people on youtube get some canny results out of it not too dissimilar to yours here.

Few new collage pieces from today.

What are you using to create these - they're excellent by the way - Photoshop? Illustrator?

• General Member
« Reply #10699 on: Monday 25 March 2019, 06:25:52 pm »
What are you using to create these - they're excellent by the way - Photoshop? Illustrator?

Cheers! I use Photoshop and InDesign. Mainly Photoshop to handle each individual element and work with texture, cutting and opacity and then I sometimes compose them with InDesign if they require it as it's a much more precise program - used primarily for editorial design.

For example, a few pieces I've been working on today and a few days back...

In this one, the two lads were cut and colour corrected with levels, curves and blending on Photoshop. I then cut each of the shapes and textured them in Photoshop, followed by pulling each individual element into InDesign to compose them (you could do that last part on Photoshop too but it's sometimes a little harder to be super accurate).

Then these two images are from an album cover I'm still working on, the image itself is being built in Photoshop, and then I take it into InDesign to add typography, any shape elements & colours. The benefit to this is that when printing, elements created in software like Illustrator and InDesign are vectorised and maintain perfect sharpness whereas Photoshop is primarily pixel based.

Photoshop:

InDesign:

Again, you could do the InDesign part in Photoshop too, but might as well use the purpose built software when it comes to typography & composition.