Author Topic: Living Anywhere in the World.......  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
Living Anywhere in the World.......
« on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:32:27 pm »
So, you've got £100k sterling saved in the bank and, upon arrival in your country of choice, you earn the median salary of the country you move to.

Where do you move to and why?

Edit - if you'd stay where you currently live, say where it is, explain what you'd do with the £100k and why it's your destination of choice.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
Re: Living Anywhere in the World.......
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:34:24 pm »
At the risk of coming over all Astroblack, I quite like it here tbh :lol:

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:35:28 pm »
At the risk of coming over all Astroblack, I quite like it here tbh :lol:

:lol: That's fine.

Will add to the OP.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:40:07 pm »
Good question. One I’ve often thought of. Do you live rambunctiously somewhere in the developing world blitzing your savings / trying to make it go further through investment or just live somewhere passable and pleasant getting by slightly better than you are already?

Online Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:41:33 pm »
Do we have to observe visa requirements or is there free rein?

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:41:47 pm »
Good question. One I’ve often thought of. Do you live rambunctiously somewhere in the developing world blitzing your savings / trying to make it go further through investment or just live somewhere passable and pleasant getting by slightly better than you are already?

That's partly the reason for posting the question. You could barely last a year in the Cayman Islands living the dream but probably more than ten years in Thailand just plodding through 'normal' life.

Thought some of the responses would be interesting........

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:42:34 pm »
Do we have to observe visa requirements or is there free rein?

Presume you've had the visa approved for permanent residence.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:43:00 pm »
Would you need to spend the £100k on somewhere to live though? If you went somewhere with a very low salary that could be a big factor. Like Thailand or Sri Lanka etc...

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:44:03 pm »
Already did this a couple of years ago.  I'll stay where I am.

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:44:20 pm »
Would you need to spend the £100k on somewhere to live though? If you went somewhere with a very low salary that could be a big factor. Like Thailand or Sri Lanka etc...

Your choice. Your 'median' salary would cover the equivalent rent/mortgage on a normal 2.4 children style house in the relevant country or you can put the £100k and buy something a bit bigger but have no savings behind you.

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:44:52 pm »

Which is where and why would you stay? And what would you spend your new found £100k on.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:45:24 pm »

I assume you'd have to rent in most places if you couldn't buy outright.  Credit scores don't travel.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:46:59 pm »
Would most likely stay exactly where I am in North Northumberland; I'm close enough to natural and urban environments (with Scotland and Newcastle) that satisfy my desire to get out into the countryside, and to and commune with reasonably friendly fellow human beings.  I've travelled a fair bit in my time and while I enjoyed it all, I've always enjoyed coming home as well.  Never found a landscape that's the match of Scotland; and a city is a city to me, and newcastle is a perfectly good one, I don't wish it was bigger or newer or anything :) add to that the charms of northumberland itself - the history, the beautiful bucolic countryside, a genuinely world-class coastline studded with ancient castles - and I'm happy, like. It took me a while to appreciate how lucky I was to be born and brought up here, but I do now.

Would buy a house easily with that budget and wage, and blow the rest on guitars, cameras and videogames tbh, I don't need much from life to keep me happy :)

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:47:45 pm »

Which is where and why would you stay? And what would you spend your new found £100k on.

California - I'm not sure it needs further justification.  I'd be really interesting and pay off my car, and use the rest for a deposit on a house.

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:48:20 pm »
Would most likely stay exactly where I am in North Northumberland; I'm close enough to natural and urban environments (with Scotland and Newcastle) that satisfy my desire to get out into the countryside, and to and commune with reasonably friendly fellow human beings.  I've travelled a fair bit in my time and while I enjoyed it all, I've always enjoyed coming home as well.  Never found a landscape that's the match of Scotland; and a city is a city to me, and newcastle is a perfectly good one, I don't wish it was bigger or newer or anything :) add to that the charms of northumberland itself - the history, the beautiful bucolic countryside, a genuinely world-class coastline studded with ancient castles - and I'm happy, like. It took me a while to appreciate how lucky I was to be born and brought up here, but I do now.

Would buy a house easily with that budget and wage, and blow the rest on guitars, cameras and videogames tbh, I don't need much from life to keep me happy :)

:thup: Great post.

Do you have family that draws you to the area/keeps you there or not Open?

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:48:54 pm »

California - I'm not sure it needs further justification.  I'd be really interesting and pay off my car, and use the rest for a deposit on a house.

Quality. Whereabouts in California?

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:50:22 pm »
Yeah, still got family here but as they would attest, I don't see a right lot of them tbh :lol: that's not part of my decision making at all, I probably see them as often as I would if I lived 400 miles away :blush:

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:51:54 pm »
Sacramento.

Actually, I tell a lie, I'd stay in state but move to San Diego.  San Francisco would be nice too but unaffordable on a median salary.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:52:33 pm »
Would be tempted to go somewhere where a coastal house is £40k and the salary is 5 or whatever. Then you have 10 bonus years of salary in the bank and a nice place to live.

Not sure where in the world that is though, would have to be a very cheap country.

And extra £100k would go down well in London as well mind, I could live somewhere actually nice instead of just acceptable. But the average salary probably would cover the living costs.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:54:56 pm »

That's partly the reason for posting the question. You could barely last a year in the Cayman Islands living the dream but probably more than ten years in Thailand just plodding through 'normal' life.

Thought some of the responses would be interesting........

Aye you I’d almost need an answer for both alternatives. Push came to shove I think I’d probably move somewhere cheaper but still developed enough to not lose comfort and amenity.

Andalucia, Valencia or Lisbon area would be canny. Better weather, food, outdoor lifestyle with access to cities, countryside and beach. Still easy enough to get back to UK, if needed, but connected well to travel elsewhere as I enjoy doing already. Hefty deposit for a gaff with a pool would be the main use of cash. Chance to learn a foreign language would be a big pull too. Assuming health and education provision are decent admittedly.

Couldn’t deal with the weather in Asia as much as it appeals on the cheap/picturesque/noncing scale. Saying all that I’d also be tempted to stay put and f*** the £100k straight up the wall until it ran out travelling the world. Probably die though.
« Last Edit: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:16:17 pm by Disco »

Online Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:55:35 pm »
Going to go for Australia, ideally Sydney's northern beaches. Just absolutely love the place - great city on your doorstep, some of the best beaches in the world and a laid back lifestyle that suits me perfectly.

Give me the visa and the job and you can keep the 100k tbh, but if you absolutely insist I'm tempted to go for a top notch camper van to get out and explore the country.

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:56:38 pm »
Two great shouts there :thup:.

Offline David Edgar

• General Member
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:02:42 pm »
Am I actually working for this median salary?  In my current profession?

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:03:42 pm »
If I’m working on the Thai median salary I’m not doing much.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:04:47 pm »
Would unsurprisingly live in LA. That said I don't think I'd last too long on the median salary there though due to rent prices and car costs, so given the context of the question it's a bit harder. Honestly not sure.
That's what I do, I drink and I know things.