Poll

Would you rather:

Sell
52 (23.5%)
Keep
169 (76.5%)

Total Members Voted: 220

Author Topic: Jonjo Shelvey  (Read 384055 times)

Offline Astroblack

• mkdisciple
  • General Member
Re: Jonjo Shelvey
« Reply #6300 on: Thursday 2 May 2019, 07:47:11 pm »
Its not his fault if the player he passes to f***s up :lol:. You ditch Manquillo in that case, not Shelvey

Well that's a good point, too. Is there an example right now in world football of a player in a similar style to his that is doing well? Feel like smaller more mobile midfielders are in vogue and we're not seeing midfielders pinging diagonals as much anymore. You look at City's midfield - Silva, Fernandinho and De Bruyne. Silva's tricky, Fernandinho is tackle minded, De Bruyne is an athelete. Is his style out of date? I think so. We should sell.

Offline HawK

• General Member
« Reply #6301 on: Friday 3 May 2019, 12:06:46 pm »
The crux of this is since we've got Lejeune and Schar who are both more than capable of playing a quality long pass or long ball, Shelvey is surplus to requirements and a luxury player. He doesn't bring anything else to the table. Push him further forward and you take away the one thing he can do.

If our first choice central defence included players like Dummett and Lascelles then there's an argument for him to play, but they're not, so there isn't.

Offline xLiaaamx

• General Member
« Reply #6302 on: Friday 3 May 2019, 01:10:45 pm »
He's more than a long pass though. He's more likely to put a short through ball through than any other player we have aswell.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #6303 on: Friday 3 May 2019, 01:37:23 pm »
In a better NUFC I think he would definitely have a place, the problem is we seem to need 2 CMs who are pretty much dedicated to defending. Or at least disciplined and mobile enough to not get caught out.

If Shelvey had Longstaff's engine he would be playing.

Offline Wallsendmag

• General Member
« Reply #6304 on: Friday 3 May 2019, 02:15:51 pm »

At a bigger club than Newcastle.
Sunderland AFC - The club that knowingly played a paedophile

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #6305 on: Friday 3 May 2019, 02:16:57 pm »

At a bigger club than Newcastle.

Well yeah, quite possibly.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #6306 on: Saturday 4 May 2019, 03:11:02 am »
The crux of this is since we've got Lejeune and Schar who are both more than capable of playing a quality long pass or long ball, Shelvey is surplus to requirements and a luxury player. He doesn't bring anything else to the table. Push him further forward and you take away the one thing he can do.

If our first choice central defence included players like Dummett and Lascelles then there's an argument for him to play, but they're not, so there isn't.

Yup, as soon as Rafa switched to three at the back, Shevley became largely superfluous. I remember him spending a lot of the early season collecting the ball from the centre half's feet before hitting a long ball
Looking after Charles Freck's artifacts

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #6307 on: Sunday 12 May 2019, 07:29:51 pm »
Kids at the local pitches, practising Shelvey corners. My love of football is temporarily restored.

Online Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #6308 on: Sunday 12 May 2019, 08:17:09 pm »
Kids at the local pitches, practising Shelvey corners. My love of football is temporarily restored.

:aww:

That’s what it’s all about.