Author Topic: Cal Roberts  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
  • The Dirty Pitchers
Re: Official: Cal Roberts joins Colchester United on loan
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 31 January 2019, 06:16:03 pm »
Farewell sweet prince

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 31 January 2019, 06:35:05 pm »
Our academy is quite good at producing players for other clubs.

But ultimately s*** at producing s*** players for us which is kind of the whole point of having one, or should be.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 31 January 2019, 09:06:33 pm »

But ultimately s*** at producing s*** players for us which is kind of the whole point of having one, or should be.

It’s a step in the right direction though. I’d rather the Lower leagues be littered with our former youth players than seeing none at all. It’s canny to keep an eye out for them if nothing else.

Offline Sho'Time

• General Member
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 31 January 2019, 09:08:50 pm »

It’s a step in the right direction though. I’d rather the Lower leagues be littered with our former youth players than seeing none at all. It’s canny to keep an eye out for them if nothing else.

Sorry mate, looks like you've been Ashley'd.

Offline bowlingcrofty

• General Member
  • "Croft - steaming in once more"
Re: Cal Roberts
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 14 March 2019, 06:49:41 pm »
Released at end of the season
The View from the ShiteSeats: http://www.shiteseats.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/shiteseats
Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/shiteseats

It's where we were when we were s***...

Offline Newcastle Fan

• General Member
  • NUFC forever
« Reply #55 on: Friday 15 March 2019, 10:34:48 am »
Think he did alright in his one game with the firs team, and scored a good goal too, surely we can give him more time?

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #56 on: Friday 15 March 2019, 10:47:21 am »
How much longer? He's nearly 22 and done hardly anything

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 10:21:39 am »
Given our recent history of giving away our youngsters for f*** all and them turning out to be decent, I think I’d keep him s big longer and get him out on loan.

Offline morla84

• General Member
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 10:54:17 am »
Given our recent history of giving away our youngsters for f*** all and them turning out to be decent, I think I’d keep him s big longer and get him out on loan.
I'm being thick, I can't think of any other examples other than Mbabu?

Online Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 11:12:25 am »

Not many good examples are there? Forster was always a 50-50 choice with Krul.
?s=21

Offline LFEE

• General Member
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 01:59:40 pm »
Was speaking to his uncle and even he said he wasn’t good enough for the top level.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 02:01:16 pm »
Haven't seen him much at all but when he played in that cup game for us he looked completely lost to me, goal aside
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 02:14:28 pm »

I think Longstaff’s success presents the stronger argument for giving Roberts a shot. Beyond Mbabu, have any of our recent former youngsters amounted to much? Armstrong and Toney are playing in League One, Adam Campbell in League Two. Lubo Satka broke into the Slovak national team last year, I guess that counts for something.

Offline triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 02:16:15 pm »
Armstrong's in the championship
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline Pilko

• General Member
  • Bunsen burner
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 02:16:40 pm »
Tamas Kadar has gone on to have a half decent career.
"Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No, he turns up in a newer car. Perception." - David Brent

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 02:29:18 pm »
Armstrong's in the championship

Ah right, was looking at last year’s stats.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #66 on: Monday 18 March 2019, 07:55:16 pm »
I’m not saying they have to be premiership quality, but consider a decent championship player can cost £10m these days we probably let our youth go too soon.

Mbabu is the standout, but abeid, satka, Armstrong, kadar could have done a job filling in gaps or out on loan ready to sell at a good profit to buy a squad player later down the line. Gillihead and Tonry doing well at league one as well. Just takes half a good season out on loan in the championship and a player is worth a decent edge around that age.

Potential is the hardest thing to judge in football unless it’s glaringly obvious. Suppose we can’t keep them all.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #67 on: Monday 18 March 2019, 10:32:16 pm »
I’m not saying they have to be premiership quality, but consider a decent championship player can cost £10m these days we probably let our youth go too soon.

Mbabu is the standout, but abeid, satka, Armstrong, kadar could have done a job filling in gaps or out on loan ready to sell at a good profit to buy a squad player later down the line. Gillihead and Tonry doing well at league one as well. Just takes half a good season out on loan in the championship and a player is worth a decent edge around that age.

Potential is the hardest thing to judge in football unless it’s glaringly obvious. Suppose we can’t keep them all.

If they can get this loan manager appointment right, it will go a long way towards getting the most out of our academy players, and therefore getting a better sense of whether they are going to "make it" or not.

I'm curious whose idea the loan manager was. Can see it appealing to Ashley's greed, but I wouldn't have thought he'd be the origin of the idea - and if I believe it was Rafa's idea, then I might start thinking Rafa's staying, and I'm not ready for that kind of heartbreak, so it obviously wasn't Rafa's idea.
Steve Bruce: Ashley Enabler