Author Topic: Wedding s****  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
Re: Wedding s****
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 29 January 2019, 02:32:53 pm »
This might sound a bit mad, but I was at a wedding last year that had a magician going around the tables (think more Derren Brown than Paul Daniels) who was incredible and all the guests loved. I know it sounds proper naff, but he was honestly class and not at all cringey.

http://www.northeastmagician.co.uk/

To think I voted for you in Poster with Best Taste :(

Nah but srs, if you say he was good then I'll accept it. Don't think I could deal with it though. Ideally I want as few non-guests as possible really.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 29 January 2019, 09:02:33 pm »
We've booked a magician. :lol: £200 for 3 hours. He's funny and can make balloon animals and s*** for kids so well worth it.

October 11th Jim. :thup:

Online Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 5 February 2019, 09:52:09 pm »

Offline Dr Venkman

• General Member
  • Alreet pet?
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday 6 February 2019, 06:32:05 pm »
We're gonna try for Newcastle, got a venue booked in but we haven't actually seen it, and we're in talks with Karma Kitchen to do the food...but we've never eaten there :lol:. Up in Newcastle for this weekend with Saz so we'll see the venue and try the food out.

So food, venue and marquee are all but sorted. Guest list pretty much finalised, minus some inevitable politics. Need to send out invitations next week, thinking of making them to keep costs down, gonna try a few designs this week to see if we can do anything resembling decent, if not we'll just do a vistaprint type job. She's going to make her own dress, so that shouldn't cost much more than a hundred or two.

Haven't looked into flowers yet, or decorations. Are they costly?

We have a friend who is a DJ so he'll hopefully do a set, then we both love music so it will just be homemade playlists for the rest of the time. PA with the venue...I'd like to test it out though because the whole night is basically going to be music and food.

Haven't thought about a photographer yet, was thinking about just asking various friends who are good at photography to do it casually, maybe having a load of disposables available as well. No videographer :lol:

Actual ceremony we don't care about at all but we think we should probably give the guests something to look at so maybe we'll try and book the civic centre if it's free, nowt fancy. Few hundred quid.

Think it should be about 6-7k, if all goes to plan. Inevitably there will be hidden costs.

Why bother with the DJ bit? Just play music you actually like all night imo.

Offline Gallowgate Toon

• General Member
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday 6 February 2019, 07:46:50 pm »
Getting married in 2 months. We've managed to keep it pretty cheap :lol: That's involved having a friend make the cake, no entertainment (outside of a magician who owes a mate a favour & my fiancee's brother who's a singer), our own playlists, creating our own centrepieces, relying on a florist friend for the flowers, and having the ceremony itself at a registry office. We've also got less than 50 guests.

Basically, we're making sure we have booze & good food covered and are hoping the rest will take care of itself.

Offline bovineblue

• General Member
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 6 February 2019, 09:16:10 pm »
Getting married in 2 months. We've managed to keep it pretty cheap :lol: That's involved having a friend make the cake, no entertainment (outside of a magician who owes a mate a favour & my fiancee's brother who's a singer), our own playlists, creating our own centrepieces, relying on a florist friend for the flowers, and having the ceremony itself at a registry office. We've also got less than 50 guests.

Basically, we're making sure we have booze & good food covered and are hoping the rest will take care of itself.

It's the way to go. We had a back yard wedding (in Australia admittedly). We invited only the people we wanted, made the food ourselves (including 2 tiered mars bar cheesecake wedding cake), got some booze and played some music.

We had a great time and got the comment from a mate saying that he had more fun there than he had at the $50,000 wedding his wife made him have.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 6 February 2019, 09:27:01 pm »
It's a decent way to go, but I'd advise you get some random to be in charge of the music. You may have playlists etc, but interruptions to music are common. Volume changes etc. It's much easier if you don't have to deal with it yourself.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 6 February 2019, 09:31:01 pm »
The f*** is everyone getting a nonce magician for?

Offline Gallowgate Toon

• General Member
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 6 February 2019, 11:18:06 pm »
The f*** is everyone getting a nonce magician for?

In our case, this bloke had been at a friend's wedding and was pretty much a comedian first with a few tricks - he was really funny, like. I'd never have had a magician but when we were offered free entertainment, we took it.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 7 February 2019, 03:26:34 pm »
Definitely haven't thought about cake either :lol: wor lass loves cake too so that will be a few days of strife. Really starting to look forward to it though, when is yours, Frog?

Cake tasting was mint. Giant Eagle is a supermarket over here that does a good sheet cake that everyone likes, so we used that for the proles and got a really nice one for the top table. There were three tiers, and the pink champagne one was amazing.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
« Reply #85 on: Thursday 7 February 2019, 03:33:57 pm »
It's a decent way to go, but I'd advise you get some random to be in charge of the music. You may have playlists etc, but interruptions to music are common. Volume changes etc. It's much easier if you don't have to deal with it yourself.

Yeah - one of our key priorities was making sure we had to worry about as little as possible ourselves. The wife has a billion family members and friends in Akron and Cleveland, so we managed to get virtually everything done by people we knew. A mate of ours is a DJ, and it was well worth having him, particularly as they do that thing here of having the wedding party come in two at a time to music (Land of 1000 Dances for us). Sounds s****, but it was terrific :lol:.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline Gallowgate Toon

• General Member
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 10 April 2019, 09:27:55 am »
Had mine last week. What a day, man. In the end, the good booze and food method worked a treat for us. We did the playlist ourselves with my wife's brother (musician) keeping an eye on it.

All in all, we kept to budget, but my wife did a bloody incredible job on room and flowers with her sister. We pulled in a lot of favours - immensely grateful for that.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 15 May 2019, 06:20:29 am »
How you getting on now Jim? My woman had a bit of a breakdown last night as she never has any money left at payday. :lol: A lot of pressure now. Under 5 months for us. Basically everything is done except paying for it all.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 15 May 2019, 09:07:56 am »
Alright man :) We've just finished 2 months not even thinking about it, so now we're back to doing a bit of organisation. :lol: I don't think we're stressing at all yet.

We've got venue, food, music, guestlist, invites, seating plan, second feed and hotels sorted. Sorting out our actual legal wedding (the day before) now.

Haven't organised any drink, decorations, the ceremony (we're going to get her twin sister to do a humanist one for us) or our vows or anything like that. We're going to get our arty mates to bring their cameras and do the photography.

Money hasn't been an issue really, we've barely had to pay for anything yet :lol: That will come soon. Are you doing your own vows and stuff or going traditional?
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Online TK-421

• General Member
  • Not at my Post
« Reply #89 on: Friday 17 May 2019, 01:52:22 pm »
I got married last year. Wife and I had been together for 20 years (almost to the day) and never been bothered about doing ti before, but with it being 20 years, we felt it worth marking. We already had our son, who is 15. We had thought about getting married in New York ,with just the 3 of us there, but there's a lot of heading off to different places to sort paperwork and stuff, which would have impacted the time there, so we decided to do it here before going away on holiday to NY.

We just did it small... just had a registry office wedding (Neither of us is religious, and never wanted the big church wedding), then a small informal reception/function at Nancy's Bordello, with about 30-40 family and close friends. My son was my best man. I also know a school friend who makes cakes, so she made ours. We sorted decorations and stuff ourselves, but the staff at Nancy's dressed the room for us. I booked a nice S-Class Mercedes to pick the wife up beforehand and then take us down to the venue.

We had our wedding night at The Vermont, and then went on holiday (mini-moon to New York) a few days after the wedding (this was already booked, so not included in wedding costs).

We didn't spend a fortune on our wedding and had a great day, and we wouldn't have changed anything.  I think our wedding cost us around £1500 altogether, once everything (ceremony, reception/food/drinks, car, dress, suits, decorations, cake, etc) was taken account of.
Claim to fame.... Han Solo stole my uniform.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #90 on: Friday 17 May 2019, 05:07:54 pm »
For some reason, with the way you started that post I was expecting you to say that you'd split up or something. "20 years and the second we got married it all went to s***" or something to that effect.

Online chopey

• General Member
« Reply #91 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 07:41:33 pm »
After putting it off for 18 months I've got to start writing my best man's speech, anyone got any ideas? The weddings on Saturday.
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline newsted

• General Member
  • Everything Louder Than Everything Else. RIP Lemmy.
« Reply #92 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 11:41:22 pm »
There are books, as if anyone reads them these days. Thank the bride's parents for coming, and particularly the bride's father for coming x years ago. That went down a storm when I coached the bairn at his brother's, but the fam lapped up any old filth, no idea what your people are like. He had googly eye specs on and is a right show-off, but that was the one I thought landed best from my suggestions.

It's got to be suited to the person. when my mate got spliced his bro was best man and said they all called him The Olympic Flame because he never went out. That was funny because there was an element of truth. I've known him 47 years and I'll see him on Weds - he'll have 2 pints and f*** off home, that's fine. I'm just pleased he's reconnected after a hiatus of a few years, we just pick up where we left off, you guys know how that is.

I like my people.

Get a book.
:) As you were.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 31 August 2019, 09:07:48 am »
Big day today eh lads

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #94 on: Saturday 31 August 2019, 09:18:09 am »
All the best on your Princess Diana memorial event Jim la’.

Online Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #95 on: Saturday 31 August 2019, 11:50:07 am »
Big day today eh lads

Have a good one, Jim.

« Reply #96 on: Saturday 31 August 2019, 01:13:26 pm »
All the best Jimburst, lad. Hope you both have a great day. Go easy tonight, big lad.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Online Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #97 on: Saturday 31 August 2019, 04:37:32 pm »
All the best Jim!

Online Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #98 on: Saturday 31 August 2019, 04:47:53 pm »