Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

what's your favourite defunct North American club? For me it has to be Team Hawaii, who were founded in 1977, dissolved in 1977 and played their home games at the Aloha Stadium. They then left Hawaii and became the Tulsa Roughnecks, owner of perhaps the most devastatingly intimidating logo known to man.

http://soccerstats.us/static/images/team/tulsa-roughnecks.png

I really should do some work.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the significance or reason for the name "Rangers" in football clubs? I know the obvious meanings of Rangers, but just curious how it find its way into football clubs...

I feel like I know this answer but figured I'd ask....

When taking a corner do you need to knock it out of the quadrant?

Hypothetically, in what circumstances would you not want to? It's such a small area.

Check this out, thought it was fucking genius myself and then the cunt linesman flags to get it ruled out after letting play carry on a good ten seconds.

Doesn't need to leave the quadrant btw, becomes active as soon as touched after the whistle. Was interested to see if anyone else knew the rule as I wasn't sure initially.

Guest Slippery Sam

Hypothetically, in what circumstances would you not want to? It's such a small area.

Check this out, thought it was f***ing genius myself and then the c*** linesman flags to get it ruled out after letting play carry on a good ten seconds.

Doesn't need to leave the quadrant btw, becomes active as soon as touched after the whistle. Was interested to see if anyone else knew the rule as I wasn't sure initially.

Isn't there something in all free kicks etc where the ball has to travel the whole ball's diameter before it's 'in play' ?????

Check this out, thought it was f***ing genius myself and then the c*** linesman flags to get it ruled out after letting play carry on a good ten seconds.

Isn't there something in all free kicks etc where the ball has to travel the whole ball's diameter before it's 'in play' ?????

FIFA's current laws of the game simply state "the ball is in play when it is kicked and moves", but it did used to be as you suggest.

The ball is "technically" in play as soon as it is kicked and moves.

Alas, in this example, the intended deception of the defending team also included the AR who also didn't register that the player had intentionally played the ball, and ruled that the there was second touch by the dribbling player.

A team tried this during a game I was refereeing, and I allowed it (didn't result in anything). But I did give a IFK to the opposition at the next free kick to the "clever" team as the kicker repositioned the ball with their foot and I called it a double touch. They never tried that again.

I also guarantee that had the defending team in the video, swooped in and taken the ball up-field after the first slight kick, that the team taking the clever corner would have protested. Can't have it both ways.

Guest Slippery Sam

FIFA's current laws of the game simply state "the ball is in play when it is kicked and moves", but it did used to be as you suggest.

Thanks. I'm old and set in my ways. Linesman etc.

The ball is "technically" in play as soon as it is kicked and moves.

Alas, in this example, the intended deception of the defending team also included the AR who also didn't register that the player had intentionally played the ball, and ruled that the there was second touch by the dribbling player.

A team tried this during a game I was refereeing, and I allowed it (didn't result in anything). But I did give a IFK to the opposition at the next free kick to the "clever" team as the kicker repositioned the ball with their foot and I called it a double touch. They never tried that again.

I also guarantee that had the defending team in the video, swooped in and taken the ball up-field after the first slight kick, that the team taking the clever corner would have protested. Can't have it both ways.

It's difficult to pick up there but you could clearly hear Draper telling the assistant referee that he had taken it and there was no protest at all, he then tells Doran who pauses a while before carrying it towards the box.

The assistant didn't flag immediately after the second touch either like, waited until the goal was scored and Inverness were celebrating before signalling the referee. He'd even started jogging back to halfway...

Rooney and Giggs did the same trick against Chelsea. Disallowed by the ref too.

Edit: Their ball was outside the quadrant and the linesman raised his flag immediately. Not quite the same situation I guess.