Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Guest firetotheworks

Can someone give me a definition or an accurate description of "percentage football" please?

I've always thought of it as being playing for percentages. I.e do X, Y and Z enough times and you'll get a goal. From the Allardyce and Pulis school of thought. I think that's what it is, but I sometimes hear people say percentage football, when what I think they actually mean is possession football.

I could be wrong, though.

Can someone give me a definition or an accurate description of "percentage football" please?

I've always thought of it as being playing for percentages. I.e do X, Y and Z enough times and you'll get a goal. From the Allardyce and Pulis school of thought. I think that's what it is, but I sometimes hear people say percentage football, when what I think they actually mean is possession football.

This is pretty much what I thought. Lump it into danger area enough times and someone will get a head on it etc. Kind of just seems synonymous with hoofball/setpiece-orientated strategies but I wondered if anyone could give a more informed view given how it is mentioned so often. Thanks though.

This is pretty much what I thought. Lump it into danger area enough times and someone will get a head on it etc. Kind of just seems synonymous with hoofball/setpiece-orientated strategies but I wondered if anyone could give a more informed view given how it is mentioned so often. Thanks though.

Yeah , when I use it I mean low risk options, stuff that is more likely to succeed than not. Taking a pass to a nearby teammate rather than whacking it long. Which is kind of the opposite of what some people mean!

That list got me thinking, as I thought we might have been knocked out by Watford on pens in the late eighties.  We didn't though, what I was thinking was the 1988/89 season, when we played Watford 4 times, as drawn games kept going into replays. (looked this up) It was a 0 - 0 draw at home with them on the 7th Jan, then a 2 - 2 draw at Watford on the 10th Jan. It then came back up to us on the 16th Jan for yet another 0 - 0 draw, to then us being knocked out on the 18th of Jan 1 - 0 back down at Watford.  Christ, you can see why they scrapped that idea!

I remember trudging through those allotments at the old Vicarage Rd. away end on a miserable Tuesday night to witness our demise in that tie. What fun we continue to have supporting this club!

Yeah , when I use it I mean low risk options, stuff that is more likely to succeed than not. Taking a pass to a nearby teammate rather than whacking it long. Which is kind of the opposite of what some people mean!

Could well be this tbf

This is a pretty good article, which illustrates one point of view. I always thought of it as having a root in the Charles Reep quotes: “over 80 per cent of goals result from moves of three passes or less”; “60 per cent of all goalscoring moves begin 35 yards from an opponent’s goal" etc etc.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2502&Itemid=29

I tend to think it's more simple. If you're a winger/FB in an advanced position, rather than play a seemingly harmless short ball to a colleague - guaranteed to get to him - you might put a cross into the penalty area without having a specific target in mind, in the hope that someone makes the right run, or the defence panics. That's the percentage ball - as you say, risk versus reward.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any rule preventing a team from wearing their away kit instead of their home one all the time. Was wondering this during today's match, Cardiff could still play in blue.

Not sure about the Premier League but last week, Bayern used their away kit playing at the Allianz..so don't think it applies internationally. Up to each respective league I guess