Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Is a Transfer Request anything more than a formality? For example in the Suarez situation, everyone at Liverpool knows that he wants to go. He has said so multiple times, so isn't the idea that he might put in a 'Transfer Request' as a last resort kind of redundant? Or does it do more than just formally requesting a transfer?

The player loses out on any loyalty bonuses and transfer fee, so the selling club get to keep the lot. It's widely accepted 10% is the norm, so in Suarez's case he'd lose £4m off Liverpool to push through his transfer to Arsenal, Suarez will probably look for a bigger fee again off Arsenal to compensate. Like Carroll did with Liverpool.

Is a Transfer Request anything more than a formality? For example in the Suarez situation, everyone at Liverpool knows that he wants to go. He has said so multiple times, so isn't the idea that he might put in a 'Transfer Request' as a last resort kind of redundant? Or does it do more than just formally requesting a transfer?

The player loses out on any loyalty bonuses and transfer fee, so the selling club get to keep the lot.

:thup: That makes sense, thanks.

The player loses out on any loyalty bonuses and transfer fee, so the selling club get to keep the lot.

:thup: That makes sense, thanks.

more annoyingly though, they can agitate for a move like suarez is, like given did, but unless they actually put a request in they get the cash. disgusting, disgraceful and completely taking the piss.

We were discussing junior football at work yesterday.  When I was 10 or so I played in nets for a Saturday 7-a-side team.  One game, the other team sent their keeper up for a corner looking for an equaliser.  Muggins here gathered it, and with one of their players trying to block me from kicking it out my hands, I hurled it down the pitch David James-esque into the empty net.

Goal was disallowed because apparently the 'keeper can't throw it into the goal.  Obviously it's highly unlikely this would ever happen in a proper game due to the size of the pitch, but surely there would be no grounds to disallow it if it did?

We were discussing junior football at work yesterday.  When I was 10 or so I played in nets for a Saturday 7-a-side team.  One game, the other team sent their keeper up for a corner looking for an equaliser.  Muggins here gathered it, and with one of their players trying to block me from kicking it out my hands, I hurled it down the pitch David James-esque into the empty net.

Goal was disallowed because apparently the 'keeper can't throw it into the goal.  Obviously it's highly unlikely this would ever happen in a proper game due to the size of the pitch, but surely there would be no grounds to disallow it if it did?

That happened to me when refereeing a 5 a side game except there keeper was actually in goal, he launched ball up to his team mate who was on edge of other box and player went to flick it but missed the ball went straight in with keeper rooted to the spot! Not really knowing what the crack was I just give the goal and said the player got a nick, player confirmed he did, other team hurled abuse at me. I’m guessing it shouldn’t have been given but spur of the moment, calling the flick seemed easiest way out.

No idea about the rules (you need bimpy for that) but surely you can't score with your hands (hence gk goal disallowed, throw-in goals disallowed as Cajun mentioned)?

Guest neesy111

Did Enkelman actually touch that throw-in Mellberg took?  Thought it went right under his foot myself.

Referee must have thought he did, or it should had been disallowed.

Did Enkelman actually touch that throw-in Mellberg took?  Thought it went right under his foot myself.

Iirc the replays showed he didn't touch it, but as you say the ref thought he did. Should have been a corner I think. :dontknow:

Guest Roger Kint

Iirc the replays showed he didn't touch it, but as you say the ref thought he did. Should have been a corner I think. :dontknow:

Aye if no touch its a corner

What happened on New Years Day? And why has every set of supporters got a song about fighting with their rivals because of it?

always thought ours was more to do with 1985.  Beardsley's hat-trick, rather than fighting. :dontknow:

the line "the sunderland ran away" should be a clue.

anyhoo, there was a vogue for while of having derbies on new years day (to save fans having to travel the length of the country.....makes sense really, todays fixture lists compilers could learn a lot) so manmy clubs will have a song about chasing their local rivals on that day.

That makes sense.

Am I right in thinking that if you score directly from an indirect freekick it then becomes a freekick to the goalkeeper and not a retake of the original freekick?

Partly Correct, as long as the free kick was taken correctly then the ball is in play. The ball must, however, touch another player before a goal can be scored.

The restart would be a goal kick, as the ball left the field of play over the goal Lin last touched by an attacking player.

Am I right in thinking that if you score directly from an indirect freekick it then becomes a freekick to the goalkeeper and not a retake of the original freekick?

Partly Correct, as long as the free kick was taken correctly then the ball is in play. The ball must, however, touch another player before a goal can be scored.

The restart would be a goal kick, as the ball left the field of play over the goal Lin last touched by an attacking player.

:thup: It's great having a qualified ref on here for this stuff. :clap:

Smart GK will let the IFK go straight in to the goal rather than trying to save it. Slightest touch means its a goal.

When I coached youth teams I always told them to shoot directly on goal for an IFK because you knew that some one would panic and try and stop the shot.

So if someone cheekily had a shot from an IdFK, and the keeper parried it in, it's a goal? Even if it were in the box?

Yes. The law says the ball cannot go directly into the goal on an IFK. It doesn't say WHO has to have the second touch before a goal can be scored.