Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Has to be a goalkeeper. I'd say Jeroen Verhoeven of FC Utrecht, listed at 100 kg (227 lbs). The most visibly fat footballer I can think of.

http://www.animaatjes.nl/voetbal-plaatjes/voetbal-plaatjes/jeroen-verhoeven/animaatjes-jeroen-verhoeven-28828.jpg

ta everyone.

i was just wondering about the physics involved when footballers collide---how heavy do you need to be to be virtually 'unknockable' off the ball?  it seems that some really fit rugby/nfl mesomorph types would be very difficult to go shoulder-to-shoulder with.

Have we had any youth players rated as highly by the national media like say Dean Bowditch or Freddie Sears and fall so far down the leagues at a young age?

Probably a lot of players I am not thinking of but the worst I can really think is Chopra and even he made a decent career for himself, Huntington was never really rated outside Newcastle as far as I know and even Ramage could be playing in the prem again next season :lol:

ta everyone.

i was just wondering about the physics involved when footballers collide---how heavy do you need to be to be virtually 'unknockable' off the ball?  it seems that some really fit rugby/nfl mesomorph types would be very difficult to go shoulder-to-shoulder with.

Heavier than any healthy human. If I run into you full speed and you are standing still, my momentum will smash you to the ground. I don't care who we are talking about. It is about mass times velocity rather than just mass.

Guest ItalianMagpie

Since when there's a seeding system in the League Cup first round draw? Why was it introduced? Does it extend to other stages of the tournament?

• 3 weeks later...

Mathematically, what is the maximum number of points a team could need to ensure they were not relegated. Essentially, I am asking what is the the threshold of "absolute safety". I was searching for the answer in my head, but the permutations are too much for me. I believe 42 is the highest that has ever been needed in the Premiership (West Ham's previous relegation), but there must be potential for the number to be substantially higher.

Guest Open_C

I've thought about this before.. I came to the conclusion that since it would be dependent on other factors (specifically the results of all the other teams that weren't relegated), I'm not sure you can work it out in a static way and it'll always be dependent on what else is happening in the league.  I'd be intrigued to find out if there was a way to do it, though :)

I'm guessing 58?

I'd imagine the minimum that all 20 teams could get over a season is 57 (win one and lose one of the two meetings against each other).

Man, I'll be thinking about this all day now :anguish:

I'm thinking it this way:

1. Table has to be as close as possible when it comes to points.

2. Consider 2 teams already doomed to oblivion i.e. 0 points. We are considering the teams in 17th and 18th with as many points they can get without ensuring survival.

3. As a result of #2, we have to consider 4 wins (over the 2 bottom teams) each for the rest of the 18 teams plus a balance of 1 win/ 1 loss .

That would mean a safety mark of around 63 pts (4 wins over bottom 2, 17 losses, 17 wins).

Am I making sense? :lol: Synapses dulled by afternoon stupor so forgive me if I create more confusion. :lol:

Edit: Revised.

• 3 weeks later...