Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

A post the other day mentioned that we have always been a complete basket case of a club.

Was just wondering how many times since the second World War have we actually appointed a decent manager?

If you can hang on two ticks, HTT'll be along shortly to sort this one out for you. :thup:

All the best,

BottledDog

A post the other day mentioned that we have always been a complete basket case of a club.

Was just wondering how many times since the second World War have we actually appointed a decent manager?

If you can hang on two ticks, HTT'll be along shortly to sort this one out for you. :thup:

All the best,

BottledDog

:thup:

And you think it'd be a straightforward answer as well. All that needs to be supplied is a single number.

:nope:

At least 8 paragraphs.

Does the 6 second goalkeeper rule still apply?

Sure someone mentioned its no longer in force, the keepers just hold onto it for as long as they like now? I know it was hardly ever used (apart from Jussi at SJP)

Nah, it was scrapped ages ago. Now the same rules apply as for example throw ins or free kicks, ie no set time limit.

Incorrect - The 6 second rule still exists in the LOTG.

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

- Controls the ball with his hands for more than six seconds before releasing it from his possession

Rarely, if ever called, because of the fact that it results in an IFK from within the penalty area....and referee's don't want to call those.

If the laws state that a red card has to be given for a deliberate handball and a handball has to be deliberate to be given, why isn't a red card given for every handball?

You're confusing the offense of "handling" with Denying an Obvious Goal Scoring Oppportunity by Handling. 

A simple occurence of Handling the ball is only a direct free kick.  Does not have to be a Yellow card, unless there is some other reason to give a misconduct. Usually the yellow would be given for Unsporting Behaviour but there is no requirement to give a yellow card for handling.

The more serious offense is Denying an Obvious Goal Scoring Oppportunity by Handling (DOGSO-H in the referee vernacular) and this states that the player must be dismissed if they deny a goal or an obvious goal scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball. Here the referee must be very sure that the opposing player would have scored if they player had not handled the ball. If they believe that, then the player must be dismissed.

Do keepers not have to take their goal kick from the side it went out (like with corners)? I was always taught to take it from the side it wen't out on when i played in goal when i was a lot younger, pretty sure i got made to take a few again, if taken from the wrong side.

Corners must be taken from the side that the ball went out on, but Goal Kicks can be taken from either side. The rule states that they can be taken from anywhere in the goal area - the requirement to take it from the side that it went out on is a myth.

If you get fouled in the box and it's an obvious penalty, but a team mate instantly cracks it into the net, would the ref play the advantage or always give the pen? Can't think of any examples where I've seen an advantage given instead of the pen so just wondering if it's a done thing?

It's happened a few times over the years... All depends how quick the ref blows the whistle... As he can't give goal if he has blew for penalty...

A referee would love to play the right advantage here and let the goal be scored. All depends on the "whistle to mouth" time.  As LFEE says, once the referee blows to stop play, he cannot play advantage anymore.

Does the 6 second goalkeeper rule still apply?

Sure someone mentioned its no longer in force, the keepers just hold onto it for as long as they like now? I know it was hardly ever used (apart from Jussi at SJP)

Nah, it was scrapped ages ago. Now the same rules apply as for example throw ins or free kicks, ie no set time limit.

Incorrect - The 6 second rule still exists in the LOTG.

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

- Controls the ball with his hands for more than six seconds before releasing it from his possession

Rarely, if ever called, because of the fact that it results in an IFK from within the penalty area....and referee's don't want to call those.

Happened in a match between Zambia and Norway a few months ago actually, confused as fuck why the ref blew at first until I remembered that rule actually still exists.

Big controversy in the U.S.-Canada women's semi-final at the Olympics last summer when that call was made against Canada.

Yep - huge controversy.  TV had to go back and see the referee warning the GK on several occasions before they put away the pitchforks and torches.

Hence why referees will be very lenient on this one. Must be extremely blatent and be occuring frequently before it would get called.

Why are Watford called the Hornets yet their badge has a fucking moose on or something?

I realise this could apply to us not being called the Seahorses, btw.

from wiki

Watford's initial nickname was The Brewers, in reference to the Benskins Brewery, which owned the freehold of Vicarage Road.[60] This nickname did not prove particularly popular, and upon the adoption of a blue-and-white colour scheme in the 1920s, the club became predominantly known as The Blues. When Watford changed kit colours in 1959, supporters chose The Hornets as the team's new nickname, and the club later introduced a crest depicting a hornet.[6] In 1974 the design was changed to depict Harry the Hornet, the club's mascot.[6][61] The club's nickname remains, but in 1978 the hornet crest was replaced by a depiction of a hart – a male red deer – on a yellow and black background. A hart represents the town's location in the county of Hertfordshire. Until Barnet[c] joined the Football League, Watford were Hertfordshire's only league club.[64] Other nicknames have since been adopted, including The Golden Boys,[65] Yellow Army[66] and The 'Orns.[67]

Guest palnese

We played a game yesterday, and a strange situation occured. One of our lads came through on goal, and the keeper rushed out and obstructed him, just like any other defender. He was nowhere near the ball. The ref gave an indirect free-kick in the box, and didn't even book the gk.

You don't see things like that very often. Did the ref make the right decision, or should it have been a pen?

It's a foul surely? Denying a goalscoring opportunity, pen and sending off by the letter of the law?

Anyway, my question has probably been answered but how does relegation to the Conference south/north work? What if all 4 teams relegated from the Premier are southern? What happens if it happens for a 2nd season? Do the midland teams just fluctuate between the two?

We played a game yesterday, and a strange situation occured. One of our lads came through on goal, and the keeper rushed out and obstructed him, just like any other defender. He was nowhere near the ball. The ref gave an indirect free-kick in the box, and didn't even book the gk.

You don't see things like that very often. Did the ref make the right decision, or should it have been a pen?

Obstruction (or technically impeding) means that there is no foul because there is not physical contact. The lack of physical contact makes this a technical infringement which is an IFK. Had there been physical contact then it would have been a DFK and that in that location it would have been a penalty.

Obstruction (or technically impeding) means that there is no foul because there is not physical contact. The lack of physical contact makes this a technical infringement which is an IFK. Had there been physical contact then it would have been a DFK and that in that location it would have been a penalty.

I must be missing something. How can you be obstructed if there is no physical contact? If I'm going somewhere and you want to stop me, you're going to have to do it physically. I'm assuming of course that you would not stoop so low as to threaten to sully my reputation, thereby causing me to lose control of the ball, for that would be frowned upon even in the colonies, egad.

On a similar note, I can remember Lovelyhands getting a penalty in that belting 6-1 Barnsley game, after the goalkeeper hadn't touched him. He didn't dive or anything even though there was no contact, but was still impeded, and thus a penalty was given. Strange one.