Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

• 2 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

I think this has been asked before, but apart from the obvious stuff (camera, eyes, an open heart) what would people that have done the SJP stadium tour recommend that I take with me?

• 3 weeks later...

What happened on New Years Day? And why has every set of supporters got a song about fighting with their rivals because of it?

Anything to do about the Gremlins on the North Shields ferry landing?  ???

No idea.

Sure this was discussed a while back, wasn't there something about how you used to play local rivals at new year because it was less distance to travel? No idea on any specific matches though.

Guest Slippery Sam

What happened on New Years Day? And why has every set of supporters got a song about fighting with their rivals because of it?

The mists of time frustrate me.  Someone can put the meat on these bones.  NUFC beat Sunlun 3-1 iirc on new year's day in, er, '83 (can't be arsed to check it)?  No fighting as such as sunlun always 'ran away' - the words just come from that era of 'boot boy' etc.

EDIT: It's our song, btw.

always thought ours was more to do with 1985.  Beardsley's hat-trick, rather than fighting. :dontknow:

the line "the sunderland ran away" should be a clue.

anyhoo, there was a vogue for while of having derbies on new years day (to save fans having to travel the length of the country.....makes sense really, todays fixture lists compilers could learn a lot) so manmy clubs will have a song about chasing their local rivals on that day.

Can anyone recommend some good books about NUFC (history, player autobiographies, etc.)?

paul joannou's books on the club are normally decent. i also have a soft spot for the newcastle united fc story by john gibson (mainly details the fairs cup run)

always thought ours was more to do with 1985.  Beardsley's hat-trick, rather than fighting. :dontknow:

Im fairly sure it was sung before '85. I thought it was about the derbies in late 70s, or the 3-1 home win nyd in '80.

Im fairly sure it was sung before '85. I thought it was about the derbies in late 70s, or the 3-1 home win nyd in '80.

aye, pretty sure it refers to the 1980 derby in our case.

aye, pretty sure it refers to the 1980 derby in our case.

such a gutter that season- didnt we go top with that win on nyd- hardly won another game- Sunderland went on a run and beat us to promotion. :(

Can anyone recommend some good books about NUFC (history, player autobiographies, etc.)?

paul joannou's books on the club are normally decent. i also have a soft spot for the newcastle united fc story by john gibson (mainly details the fairs cup run)

:thup:

How does Viagogo work? Can I, a season ticket holder who can't attend the match, sell my seat on there?

Yes but generally unless it's very high demand no-one will buy it as you have the lowest you can sell for is face value (+ their ridiculous fees).

Would make more sense if you could flog it for less given that nobody is losing out that way.

How does Viagogo work? Can I, a season ticket holder who can't attend the match, sell my seat on there?

Yes but generally unless it's very high demand no-one will buy it as you have the lowest you can sell for is face value (+ their ridiculous fees).

Would make more sense if you could flog it for less given that nobody is losing out that way.

Can't go to the derby (live in London) so might shift it. Just seen people selling theirs on there for 100 quid and upwards. I couldn't charge that much like, it's shocking. I usually just share it out between my mates and my dad for free.

Hmm - because I haven't renewed my season ticket for next season (due to moving away) it won't let me register my current and valid ST to Viagogo because despite being ST holder this season, my status logging into nufc.co.uk now is back to General Sale instead of Season Ticket Holder.

Anybody know anything about this/way around this?

Do teams like Gateshead have many proper supporters rather than just NUFC or SAFC supporters who fancy a match going along?

Would've thought they've a hardcore of a few hundred (may be more/less) who'd consider themselves Heed fans primarily/only.