Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Were/are there not nets at various parks already set up over there?

There were enough people who played when I was younger, but now my friends and I can get 12-22 people together a week in the summer. There's five places in my incredibly tiny hometown with nets set up, one even for 5 and 6-a-side. Most of them have been set up by my very ambitious high school coach, but even other neighboring towns have that many options.

There were enough people who played when I was younger, but now my friends and I can get 12-22 people together a week in the summer. There's five places in my incredibly tiny hometown with nets set up, one even for 5 and 6-a-side. Most of them have been set up by my very ambitious high school coach, but even other neighboring towns have that many options.

The posts are there, but the nets almost never are. There might be several reasons: People steal them; there are less public pitches now than there used to be; there is simply less space in the UK than in the US; there are more teams in the UK, and so more uses of pitches, therefore more damage to nets, therefore more expensive to replace; it's an easy cut for UK councils to make; we are still subject to post-war rationing of football nets; we no longer have a fossil fuel industry to make the plastics for the twine. Take your pick. I have actually commented on this before driving round my town, as in the UK, Sunday teams would have to bring their own nets for every home game. Here, they seem to be in place. Are they simply less used in the US? Are they only found in more community-minded towns? Are Americans simply more community-minded? Does God protect the nets in the US? Who actually pays for them and puts them up here?

I feel that I have over-thought this.

God delegates net-protection to Jesus iirc.

My school district growing-up had 3-4 good quality fields with the posts there year-round. Public district, public fields. Never difficult to find space. Also, no competition really.

:lol: It's probably God.

In all seriousness, I just don't think there's a very large demand for nets in America, so people just don't steal them. I've definitely played and practiced with my fair share of posts without nets, in the 90's almost every net was years old and had holes in it. I can answer some questions in terms of my city, because I know my old coach has paid/used funding to get our goals, he probably has six around the city. In fact, one practice we spent the entire time fitting new nets onto our goals, he loved new shit. I'm just happy that we have goals in so many different parks, nets or not.

Used to love playing football in the hockey goals on the school field, they were the perfect size.

Or in the 11 a side goals when they'd have the nets up for the pub league and would leave them up for a while afterwards.

My favourite was when I used to 'help' my Grandad at our local ground (Dunston UTS :huff: The Fed :smug: ) when he put the lines on the pitch, drive round on the tractor cutting the grass etc....always used to get him to put the nets up so me and my kid could play, felt like the mutts nuts :D

The posts are there, but the nets almost never are. There might be several reasons: People steal them; there are less public pitches now than there used to be; there is simply less space in the UK than in the US; there are more teams in the UK, and so more uses of pitches, therefore more damage to nets, therefore more expensive to replace; it's an easy cut for UK councils to make; we are still subject to post-war rationing of football nets; we no longer have a fossil fuel industry to make the plastics for the twine. Take your pick. I have actually commented on this before driving round my town, as in the UK, Sunday teams would have to bring their own nets for every home game. Here, they seem to be in place. Are they simply less used in the US? Are they only found in more community-minded towns? Are Americans simply more community-minded? Does God protect the nets in the US? Who actually pays for them and puts them up here?

Never any nets on basketball courts over here either and neebody plays that.

Guest Brazilianbob

Used to watch Steve Carney playing for a pub team and as a defender he took no prisoners in fact I used to physically flinch when he took out opposing players.  He them signed for Newcastle and looked like a powder puff when he came up against 2nd division strikers.

Never any nets on basketball courts over here either and neebody plays that.

But we'd still steal it for other uses, I imagine if you tied the bottom and strapped it to a large stick it would make a decent net for catching ducks for example. If I saw a baskeball net out in the open I certainly couldn't resist.

If the Premier League/Football League agreed that managers couldn't be sacked (on the basis of poor performance) any less than three years after being appointed, would it make much/any difference to things as they are now?

It would have good and bad effects, lots of good managers would feel the benefit of not being knee jerk sacked, but on the other hand clubs wouldn't risk appointing some managers at all, so you'd probably end up with a lot more 'safe hands' managers keeping things ticking over but maybe a trend towards conservative safe managers ranter than hot heads like Mourinho, and slightly bonkers ones liek AVB

On current form, I'd say Forster in goal like.

Oh aye, my bad. Finding it quite hard to think of them from outside us.  :undecided:

Aye, it's very hard - I was going to post a team but then realised I couldn't really think of anyone apart from the obvious ones.