Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

How come Carrick slipped from your grasp? I seem to remember he was quite rated as a schoolboy when he still lived in the NE.

Keegan released him and others because our pitch was falling apart.

I get the impression that our youth recruitment has made the classic mistake of focusing on players that stand out early on because they're either bigger or faster than the others at an early age. Doesn't surprise me that our one real success is a massive brute.

Would like us to produce more players through the academy and have more local lads make it at the club.

Where we buy players from I can't say it bothers me as much/at all, I personally don't see much difference in buying some cockney kid from Crystal Palace or some Frenchie from Lens. We're still buying them in, they're not local and they are in no way a reflection of the strength of the club really. It annoys me that our scope is so limited way more, if they really are determined with this policy of buy, develop, sell then they need to go the whole hog with a global scouting/recruitment system. That means not just in France but domestically, all over Europe, in South America etc.

I get the impression that our youth recruitment has made the classic mistake of focusing on players that stand out early on because they're either bigger or faster than the others at an early age. Doesn't surprise me that our one real success is a massive brute.

You're not the only ones. I'm seeing this creeping up a lot in Spanish youth football as of late. The prestige and media hype of youth competitions have increased tenfold in Spain in the past years; this has provoked that clubs go for the win with bigger/faster players instead of building for the future.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DYr1sRx_JIg/UNzdmKl3KNI/AAAAAAAAqq0/8psJEZOwqYg/s1600/pro_photo1356643076.jpg

Would like us to produce more players through the academy and have more local lads make it at the club.

Where we buy players from I can't say it bothers me as much/at all, I personally don't see much difference in buying some cockney kid from Crystal Palace or some Frenchie from Lens. We're still buying them in, they're not local and they are in now way a reflection of the strength of the club really. It annoys me that our scope is so limited way more, if they really are determined with this policy of buy, develop, sell then they need to go the whole hog with a global scouting/recruitment system. That means not just in France but domestically, all over Europe, in South America etc.

south america's difficult for any english side to get many really young players because of the work permit thing, unless they qualify for an eu passport they won't get one. And they do have a look around europe (tiote anita-holland cisse-germany) its just players in the french league are more likely to adapt quicker and french clubs (except for PSG and Monaco) finances are looking grim in the near future if they bring in this 75% tax thing

Yeah we do buy from Holland and Germany too infrequently but I mean anybody on here could do that scouting to an extent. You just need a subscription to ESPN/watch dodgy internet streams.

We have a wisely old scout who does have a keen eye for a player, but that seems to be about it in terms of our network. They're mostly established, well known full internationals. When we get somebody else from outside of that (Curtis Good) it happens because an agent has came to us and practically forced him on us for a trial.

I do wonder how many of the deals have been initiated/led by agents, bet Santon was.

Yeah we do buy from Holland and Germany too infrequently but I mean anybody on here could do that scouting to an extent. You just need a subscription to ESPN/watch dodgy internet streams.

We have a wisely old scout who does have a keen eye for a player, but that seems to be about it in terms of our network. They're mostly established, well known full internationals. When we get somebody else from outside of that (Curtis Good) it happens because an agent has came to us and practically forced him on us for a trial.

I do wonder how many of the deals have been initiated/led by agents, bet Santon was.

you could say that about a great many clubs, every manager gets inundated with calls from agents touting this prospect or that hidden gem in the windows its about sifting through the BS to find the actual good ones. Santon was a strange one by himself though given the tendency for Italian players to stay in Italy and just how highly rated he had been by Inter to let him go so cheap was baffling

Graham Carr's record of unearthing "gems" is certainly overplayed. Only Tiote was really obscure (even then he'd played in a World Cup) and we know that he was being looked at before Carr arrived because KK sent Hughton to watch him.

Not that I'm saying Carr's not doing a good job but the real star of deals like Cabaye and Ben Arfa has simply been the price rather than "unearthing" two full French internationals.

Guest chicken little

the real star of deals like Cabaye and Ben Arfa has simply been the price rather than "unearthing" two full French internationals.

guess who..

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2008/12/28/1230487059052/mike-ashley-001.jpg

I believe this to be a daft question, this is why I am here.

I heard the phrase “recycling the ball” at work today, please somebody explain what this could mean?

Cheers.

not immediately playing the ball forward if there isn't much on but playing it sideways/backward and starting the attack again.

Used to see a lot of away fans floating around in players (not so much that I would say an 'away bar') .... same as Rosies actually, quite a few seem to pop in there some match days.

So much choice around the stadium tbh so they're everywhere :lol:

Used to see a lot of away fans floating around in players (not so much that I would say an 'away bar') .... same as Rosies actually, quite a few seem to pop in there some match days.

So much choice around the stadium tbh so they're everywhere :lol:

Aye, pisses me off how a lot of clubs don't have anywhere for away fans to drink around the ground (Man City, for one).

The coach I go down on just stops at a pub in some random town outside of where we're playing.