Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

If we go down that arsehole will have relegated probably be the most talented group of players to be relegated from the Premier League.

Seeing this and similar in the Pardew thread. Who would generally be perceived as the most 'talented' team to get relegated from the PL? West Ham in 02/03?

Going by media/reputation probably them/us.

:thup: Was only 12/13 and interested in our goings on to know just how good that lot could've been. Or if there were any particularly big shock relegations from the 90s.

West Ham had a lot of young players destined for better things, we had lots of name players on a final pay day. Blackburn (98/99) & Boro when they reached the cup finals would maybe be others too.

That Portsmouth team that went down in administration really had some decent players, but there was just too much chaos for anything to work.

If we sign Yanga-Mbiwa and keep everything else status quo, our XI will not have one English player. Have there been any teams in the Premier League built that way?

That Portsmouth team that went down in administration really had some decent players, but there was just too much chaos for anything to work.

If we sign Yanga-Mbiwa and keep everything else status quo, our XI will not have one English player. Have there been any teams in the Premier League built that way?

Chelsea were like that for a bit. Arsenal occasionally too.

Good shout on Portsmouth, Baba.

Crazy to think that we could be next for an all-foreign XI when you look back to just 2 seasons ago.

I've questioned it in a couple of threads, it's a sad indictment on the club IMO. If it happens I'll start a thread as it's a bit little Englander & I'm loath to come across that way as I'm as faux foreign as you get.

Crazy to think that we could be next for an all-foreign XI when you look back to just 2 seasons ago.

I've questioned it in a couple of threads, it's a sad indictment on the club IMO. If it happens I'll start a thread as it's a bit little Englander & I'm loath to come across that way as I'm as faux foreign as you get.

when you see the stupid prices that english players are going for its hard to disagree with the buy foreign policy

I don't know how I'd feel about it tbh. I think my main issue is being one of 'those' teams to rival fans where I'll start hearing self-righteous shit. And it's normally the one I rant about, but I wouldn't be able to handle another thing my Arsenal supporting mate could get on his high horse about now they finally have a few English players.

I don't know how I'd feel about it tbh. I think my main issue is being one of 'those' teams to rival fans where I'll start hearing self-righteous shit. And it's normally the one I rant about, but I wouldn't be able to handle another thing my Arsenal supporting mate could get on his high horse about now they finally have a few English players.

and are doing worse with them than with the team full of non english players, go figure

when you see the stupid prices that english players are going for its hard to disagree with the buy foreign policy

They're not all stupid prices and we should be looking, ideally, to develop our own.

They're not all stupid prices and we should be looking, ideally, to develop our own.

I do honestly think thats what they want as well but it does take time for any changes in youth structure which have been made to have any meaningful effects in whats coming through

How many successful players have you produced in the 2000s? Taylor?

And yeah, it takes time. When we first revamped our youth system in the Cruyff years, most of the players that came through in the following seasons were pretty s***. It took about 10 years until we  developed players that could do a job in the first XI.

Suppose it depends how you're defining successful. Aaron Hughes? The Caldwell brothers are still just about going. Forster? Carroll?

Shola? :lol:

"Successful" = starters for NUFC (or sold up to richer teams)

I suppose Forster would have been one if it weren't for Krul. Carroll...

Without doubt the position that requires the most technical ability is central midfield and we've not produced one able to play Premier League football (possibly even league football?) since Lee Clark.

Not anywhere near 100% sure but I want to say he was just more impressed by the West Ham set up (who wouldn't at that time?). Anyone with actual knowledge is more than welcome to come and set me wrong.

How come Carrick slipped from your grasp? I seem to remember he was quite rated as a schoolboy when he still lived in the NE.

to say Shepherd neglected the youth system would be an understatement plus combine that with Keegan removing the reserve side at a time he would be looking around at who to join and its not hard to see why he went to West Ham who have a good record of bringing through players