Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Was the league cup sponsored by Capital One last season? Showing the Liverpool result here seems to suggest it was: http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/CapitalOneCup

Didn't realise it had changed.

It was called the Coca Cola Cup by Pardew last season :lol:

i still call it the league cup. everyone knows what you're talking about unlike keeping up with the latest sponsor which can be mistaken for one of those comps only for the lower leagues.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

This might have been asked before, but has a situation ever arisen where one team has finished ahead of another alphabetically?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know when that clapping rhythm started? You know which one I mean on matchdays, can remember it since I was a bairn, just wondering if anyone knows anything else about it, the history of the clap, etc?

You say that like it's completely normal :lol:

Well he's not wearing the Spiderman mask because his mother was killed by the Green Goblin and it reminds him of his eternal quest for vengeance  :lol:

:lol:

Why is the manager actually called gaffer? Isn't that the guy doing the lighting on film and theater?

Gets used across all sorts of lines of work to describe a boss or gov.

In colloquial British English gaffer means a foreman, and is used as a synonym for "boss". In the UK, the term is also commonly used to refer to sports coaches (football, rugby, etc.).

The term is also sometimes used colloquially to refer to an old man, an elderly rustic. The word is probably a shortening of "godfather", with "ga" from association with "grandfather". The female equivalent was "gammer", which came to colloquially refer to an old lady or gossip.[2]

In 16th century English a "gaffer" was a man who was the head of any organized group of labourers.

Does anyone know when that clapping rhythm started? You know which one I mean on matchdays, can remember it since I was a bairn, just wondering if anyone knows anything else about it, the history of the clap, etc?

Clapclap clapclap clapclapclapclapclap? Only noticed that in the last few years actually, would quite like to know this as well.

Anyone else know when some of the other chants started as well? The likes of 'Toon, Toon, black & white army' and the Geordie boot boys one in particular.

Clapclap clapclap clapclapclapclapclap? Only noticed that in the last few years actually, would quite like to know this as well.

Anyone else know when some of the other chants started as well? The likes of 'Toon, Toon, black & white army' and the Geordie boot boys one in particular.

Stole it off Celtic a few years ago iirc.

Always thought it started for Luque :lol:

Do goalkeepers have to choose one side r the other for goal kicks? Ive seen keepers take them from the centre of the 6 yard box and thought they were just being naughty and that the ref wouldnt notice

Always thought it started for Luque :lol:

Do goalkeepers have to choose one side r the other for goal kicks? Ive seen keepers take them from the centre of the 6 yard box and thought they were just being naughty and that the ref wouldnt notice

They can take it from wherever they want inside the 6 yard box.

Guest Realist

Could an outfield player choose #1 if it wasn't taken or wanted by the keeper/s?

Interesting.  I can't imagine the convention being broken up but in Great Britain yes, in Spain no, if all three keeper positions are used on a roster. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squad_number_%28association_football%29#In_club_football

In the Spanish La Liga players in the A-squad (maximum 25 players, including a maximum of three goalkeepers) must wear a number between 1–25. Goalkeepers must wear either 1, 13 or 25.

I looked this up not too long ago, and can remember reading somewhere that Argentina used to number their players alphabetically, meaning Ardilles was number 1.

Ardilles wore number 1 in the 1982 world cup...