Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Does anyone else think it's a bit off that Welsh teams like Cardiff or Swansea can play in the English Football League and ultimately qualify for promotion to the EPL and thereon Europe (theoretically speaking anyway) whilst Celtic and Rangers etc are left stuck in the SPL? ???

I don't know. I wonder if the Welsh teams in the league initially didn't have their own independent infrastructure so were made part of the "English" leagues, or if Scottish teams at any point had the offer/option to be part of "English" leagues.

Maybe onto something there... possibly one for our in-house football historians to explain. It just seems a bit odd how it's evolved like that.

Does anyone else think it's a bit off that Welsh teams like Cardiff or Swansea can play in the English Football League and ultimately qualify for promotion to the EPL and thereon Europe (theoretically speaking anyway) whilst Celtic and Rangers etc are left stuck in the SPL? ???

Kind of, Cardiff and Swansea did start off in the Welsh leagues years ago but joined the English leagues.

Their was some uproar a few years ago when Cardiff qualified for Europe by being FA Cup runners up, the English FA said it was up to the Welsh FA to place them in Europe and the Welsh FA said it was nothing to do with them. In the end they went into Europe as an English club.

The Celtic and Rangers jointing the EPL or even the Championship has been a long debate for a long time.

I don't know. I wonder if the Welsh teams in the league initially didn't have their own independent infrastructure so were made part of the "English" leagues, or if Scottish teams at any point had the offer/option to be part of "English" leagues.

Maybe onto something there... possibly one for our in-house football historians to explain. It just seems a bit odd how it's evolved like that.

at one time queens park competed in the fa cup. think it was just that the truculent jocks were adamant to have their own system and the welsh thought "well we only really have four or five teams don't we, while the rest of the stupid buggers chase an egg so we may aswell lump in with the english as thay are really our overlords" (sounds better if you say it all in a cardiff accent.

Kind of, Cardiff and Swansea did start off in the Welsh leagues years ago but joined the English leagues.

Their was some uproar a few years ago when Cardiff qualified for Europe by being FA Cup runners up, the English FA said it was up to the Welsh FA to place them in Europe and the Welsh FA said it was nothing to do with them. In the end they went into Europe as an English club.

The Celtic and Rangers jointing the EPL or even the Championship has been a long debate for a long time.

The Welsh FA responding as if they're being started on :lol:

No. It's their own fault for starting their own league.

Think Im gunna move to the strawberry corner next season. Should be alright considering the bargain hunters dropping out?

Debating whether to move closer to the corner myself. People I sit round currently are alreet though so don't wanna get stuck next to some bellends.

Anyone know the number for 'Phoenix' who do away to travel to the Newcastle away games?

Going down to Wigan but can't be bothered with getting BackPage at 9:30am in town for a 3pm kick off, £26 as well. Saw the ad for it in The Mag and they do pick ups in Blyth and other areas in Northumberland before heading to town. If anyone has a copy of this months Mag it might be in there? :aww:

01670 540 222

Pick Ups / Drop Offs

Morpeth Bus Station, Ashington Bus Station, Blyth Bus Station, Cramlington (Bus Stops behind Manor Walk, Shopping Centre), Newcastle Central Station, Low Fell, Washington Services, Durham.

what constitutes a successful nutmeg?    is it just playing the ball through the the legs of your opponent, or does the ball need to be touched again by either the 'megger' or his teammate? 

The latter, I would say.

01670 540 222

Pick Ups / Drop Offs

Morpeth Bus Station, Ashington Bus Station, Blyth Bus Station, Cramlington (Bus Stops behind Manor Walk, Shopping Centre), Newcastle Central Station, Low Fell, Washington Services, Durham.

Can you drink alcohol on Phoenix?

what constitutes a successful nutmeg?    is it just playing the ball through the the legs of your opponent, or does the ball need to be touched again by either the 'megger' or his teammate? 

The latter, I would say.

Not sure about that. What if you prod a shot towards goal through the legs of a keeper, but it hits the post or bobbles just wide or is hilariously put in his own net by David Vaughan. Still a 'meg.

The latter, I would say.

Not sure about that. What if you prod a shot towards goal through the legs of a keeper, but it hits the post or bobbles just wide or is hilariously put in his own net by David Vaughan. Still a 'meg.

I think a shot on goal is different, but I don't know if you can really claim the meg if you're in the middle of the park.

Ok, what about if you meg someone in the middle of the park on the half way line, and you sprint to get to get it for about 20 yards and it's really, really close but a different defender (Perchinho) just gets to it before you - while the opponent you meg'd is still in a confounded flat-footed stupor?

• 3 weeks later...

Last English manger to take a team to a European Final?

Excluding Woy

McLaren?

Shout

Before that?

Is it Fagan or am i missing a gaping hole in European football?