Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Would imagine the answer to yours is "Yes", madras. 

Then again that's because I doubt they'd take more notice of intent than the end result, whereas you'd think they'd do exactly that in my scenario if they had any common sense.  No idea really, it's a minefield.

There was quite a cool article about Opta in the Metro the other day as it happens:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/newsfocus/886337-spectators-who-are-on-the-ball-a-look-inside-the-world-of-sports-stats

Would imagine the answer to yours is "Yes", madras. 

Then again that's because I doubt they'd take more notice of intent than the end result, whereas you'd think they'd do exactly that in my scenario if they had any common sense.  No idea really, it's a minefield.

There was quite a cool article about Opta in the Metro the other day as it happens:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/newsfocus/886337-spectators-who-are-on-the-ball-a-look-inside-the-world-of-sports-stats

it;s a thing thats always puzzled me when discussing games. some may say player x had a great game as he created both goals, yet others would say if the forward missed the chances then player x actually had a poor game as he done nothing else.....even though in both instances player x had exactly the same game.

works expecially for forwards who can mis hit the ball three times to a hat trick and almost certainly be man of the match whereas as the bramble-esque centre half can play 99% of the game well but slip up and cost the game and be given a 3 in the paper.

You know those Opta stats, etc.  Well...

When a player kicks the ball out of play because someone's down injured does that count as a misplaced pass, a completed pass, or is it not counted at all?

Similarly, what happens when the ball's back in play and they give the ball back to the opposition?

better still, is it classed as an assist when someone shoots, screws it horribly, going towards the corner flag type wide, but in to the path of a team mate who puts it in ?

why would it not be? assists dont have to be intentional

When a player kicks the ball out of play because someone's down injured does that count as a misplaced pass, a completed pass, or is it not counted at all?

Similarly, what happens when the ball's back in play and they give the ball back to the opposition?

better still, is it classed as an assist when someone shoots, screws it horribly, going towards the corner flag type wide, but in to the path of a team mate who puts it in ?

thats my whole point, those stats don't give true reflection on how good a player is. at very best a secondary  guide to reinforce actually watching the player.

thats my whole point, those stats don't give true reflection on how good a player is. at very best a secondary  guide to reinforce actually watching the player.

They do admit as much in the article I've linked to, mind.  Say it's no substitute for scouting but it can certainly help in some ways.

They do admit as much in the article I've linked to, mind.  Say it's no substitute for scouting but it can certainly help in some ways.

over the long term it can help back up proper scouting, too many take it as gospel though. how many times do you read on here " he's had 5 assists in the last 12 games" type of thing?

i see, didnt realise it was rhetorical

i see, didnt realise it was rhetorical

was it ?

How many homegrown/English players needed in the squad according to FA guidelines? More specifically will we have enough to scrape through?

FA: We have strict limits on....

:tiote:

"We're not fussed really."

:wat:

"He doesn't count."

:tiote:

"OK he counts."

Guest bimpy474

How many homegrown/English players needed in the squad according to FA guidelines? More specifically will we have enough to scrape through?

Were fine mate, Krul is regarded as homegrown, 2 Taylors, Best, Shola, Simmo, Gosling, Elliot, thats the 8 you need, then you have Harper, Guthrie, Williamson.

As long as we have 8 we are fine.

Were fine mate, Krul is regarded as homegrown, 2 Taylors, Best, Shola, Simmo, Gosling, Elliot, thats the 8 you need, then you have Harper, Guthrie, Williamson.

As long as we have 8 we are fine.

:thup:

Right. I've got a couple of weeks off in March. Surprise sur-fucking-prise, not a single home match during my time off (the derby is my final day of fucking work!! :dave:). Arsenal away and West Brom away I'm free for. I'm registered to buy tickets on .cock but have never actually purchased any. I assume there'll be some kind of loyalty level you have to be at to purchase away tickets? And how easy is it to buy tickets at the Emirates and Hawthorns? I'll settle for home section as I know it'll be tough going to grab away tickets. It's just the Arsenal website looks like it's saying I need to sign up as an Arsenal fanclub member or something to be able to buy any tickets at all. :undecided:

Guest Roger Kint

Aye? So I just need to wait for it to get to general sale on away tickets and jump on the website like I would if it was at St James'?

Does Crimpy still sort out trips? Could be able to get you tickets for any that you may miss out on

Guest Roger Kint

My mate is an Arsenal fan wormy and he said you have to be a "red member" to even gets tickets at all. Not sure what the rule is for away fans though I'll try and find out!

Away fans have nothing at all to do with it though. NUFC will set loyalty points somewhere above 25 then drop it accordingly.

Guest Roger Kint

Cheers for the help though guys! Will pray I can sort something out in the coming couple of months.

You checked out the tickets & travel section. Usually where the useful members of the forum hide

Aye? So I just need to wait for it to get to general sale on away tickets and jump on the website like I would if it was at St James'?

Away tickets dont go to general sale anymore. Have to be a member/season ticket holder to purchase away tickets now.