Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle United - 25/11/19 - post match from p18

Disco

Judge me for saying this but

I'd start Gayle / Carroll next game

Did you watch the last 20 minutes at all?

What is there to lose by now, Joelinton is a dud. Almiron is bambi on ice in the final third and believe me, I rate his contributions to the goals we score and work-rate.

Both need some time on the bench, perhaps City is the game for that.

We've got no subtlety to our play whatsoever. Grealish ran the show, we don't have anyone anywhere near his quality.

Both points absolutely true. Particularly the first.

lestalkabowfax

(regarding the second point, I think we have players on his level in terms of intelligence & quality, but sadly not in his position)

We've got no subtlety to our play whatsoever. Grealish ran the show, we don't have anyone anywhere near his quality.

I think we do though. He’s just criminally misused and out of form.

Almiron does everything at 100mph, just like the rest of the team. It's all incredibly frantic. Grealish knows when to change the tempo

Yeah, I think Almiron and maybe Saint-Maximin (though I don't feel like I've seen enough of the latter) have it in them to be approaching Grealish's level. Maybe not bang on, but at least with the potential to be as effective, if not so silky.

The set-up is just totally incoherent, though. I've said it a thousand times but Almiron was signed because there was an Almiron-shaped hole in our front three. He was exactly what Rondon and Perez needed and visa versa. If we'd kept them (and Rafa, obviously) and improved the wing-backs - I think Miggy would fluorish. He'd still be wasteful, I'm sure, but nowhere near as hopeless as he is this season.

At the moment there is three players up there whose attributes don't compliment one another, whilst the entire system is just thrown together. And there's no one at the training ground to either iron out the creases or build on the promise. It's a nightmare. Totally, totally ineffective and totally, totally hopeless. We'll never see anyone truly thrive under this manager. Pardew all over again.

Almiron does everything at 100mph, just like the rest of the team. It's all incredibly frantic. Grealish knows when to change the tempo

Yep, coached better and more experience in the country.

I'm not sure it's coaching and experience. I think they've very different in their approach to the game. Even if both on form, I don't think they'd be all that comparable. Almiron relies on athleticism and desire to get and create changes, whereas Grealish is much more calculated, drawing players in and playing intricate passes. He's very good. As is Almiron, just not at present unfortunately.

I'm not sure it's coaching and experience. I think they've very different in their approach to the game. Even if both on form, I don't think they'd be all that comparable. Almiron relies on athleticism and desire to get and create changes, whereas Grealish is much more calculated, drawing players in and playing intricate passes. He's very good. As is Almiron, just not at present unfortunately.

Yeah I wouldn’t compare them like for like, but I just don’t agree that we haven’t got the quality to hurt teams like villa hurt us tonight.

Yeah I wouldn’t compare them like for like, but I just don’t agree that we haven’t got the quality to hurt teams like villa hurt us tonight.

:thup: