Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

There's absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be goal-line technology. Infact, it's almost farcical that there isn't.

Quick look at a camera, buzzer in the ball, hawkeye. Anything, makes no difference, once it's in place there can be no argument and confusion.

It wouldn't ruin the flow of the game AT ALL. Infact, because there would be no arguing the decision it would prevent the ensuing melee that always follows one of these incidents.

Didn't they recently test a few possible solutions and none of them were 100% reliable? If you are going to have technology it has to be 100% relaible (otherwise what's the point and could lead to manufacturers getting sued etc) and you need to know where to draw the line - is it goals only? Incidents in the penalty box? Would you still have post match trial by TV? Why should the decision for a penalty be any more important than a free kick on the edge of the box or a corner (hell even a throw in if you are Stoke)?

I'm personally against it - daft decisions are part of football, if you want a sterile clinical result go and put the playstation on.

Why isn't there goal-line technology? Serious question here, what actually are the fundamental arguments against it, in the eyes of the footy bosses?

I think the big reasons are:

- The want to keep the game flowing

- The cost

- The inability to implement it across all levels of football

The second argument is a load of bull too.  If players can get six figures a week, I'm sure clubs can afford a tiny sliver of that for goal line technology.  The second argument could also solve the third one if FIFA dipped into their brown envelopes...

Why isn't there goal-line technology? Serious question here, what actually are the fundamental arguments against it, in the eyes of the footy bosses?

Blatter wants parity and consistency. So if cameras are going to to be put into the posts of Premier League games then they need to go into every goalpost in every game in every league in every country. It's a romantic philosophy that each game of football is unique and cherished and the rules are consistent regardless of ability.

Kids in the park use the same set of rules as the pros in the Premier League. It's a nice idea but he's out of touch.

It's also a very convenient excuse.

I wouldn't have it like, I like the idea that refs get stuff wrong, its part of football, it gives us something to debate.

There's absolute no way Hawkeye wouldn't be very close to accurate. It is fine in other sports.

As for the 'bad decisions are good for football' argument. Nah, that's bollocks to be honest. Things like tackles and diving are up for interpretation but balls bouncing over the line is black and white, absolutely no reason why they can't have something in place for that.

The idea that it should be the same at every level is stupid too.

do Birmingham have the shittest music to run out to?

There is not one single likable thing about Birmingham City.

I remember when I went down a couple of seasons ago they even had a sponsor for the substitution announcements (Floors2go, so it worked in fairness).

i'd like to know how long a game would take to complete if the watch was stopped everytime the ball went dead so we actually 90mins of game time.

If Rory Delap is playing then at least a couple of weeks.

What's happened to the 6 second rule for goalkeepers holding the ball in their hands? Now they can comfortably hold the ball for 10-15 seconds without any hassle

I agree, seems to have gone by the wayside.  Incidentally I miss yelling 'STEPS' as the opportunity useed to present itself at the match

What's happened to the 6 second rule for goalkeepers holding the ball in their hands? Now they can comfortably hold the ball for 10-15 seconds without any hassle

I thought that yesterday when Szczesny was seemingly having a sleep on the ball towards the end of the game against Man Utd.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest icemanblue

Any of you lot played on the 11-a-side pitches, at Parks, in North Shields? Just wondering what the surface is like? Best boots for it, etc.

Any of you lot played on the 11-a-side pitches, at Parks, in North Shields? Just wondering what the surface is like? Best boots for it, etc.

Old-style astro-turf, i've only ever wore astr-turf trainers on it, never tried boots.

Guest icemanblue

Old-style astro-turf, i've only ever wore astr-turf trainers on it, never tried boots.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...