Alan Shearer

Weznufc

Was allowed to stay 3 seasons too long in reality. Two of his last three managers tried unsuccesfully to sell him. Was embarrassing the hold he had over the Club especially when he took on that final season.

Did he hold the Club back ultimately?

Don't know what people think we would have "achieved" had he been forced out earlier. What has happened since he's retired and the strikers we brought in are a partial answer.

He scored 28 goals in his third to last season by the way.

I always think Shearer could have scored maybe another 40-50 goals if he didn't get those two long term crippling injuries. Come to think of it they also hampered the rest of his career which may have knocked off a couple of goals a season after. Lets see how Rooney would come back from it ;)

Happy birthday to a true legend. Got so many amazing memories watching him play for us and England. A few personal highlights have to be the 5-0 against Manure, hat-trick against Leicester in the 4-3 win, his goals in the Sheffield United and Spurs FA Cup semi-finals, his double against Inter Milan at the San Siro, hat-trick against Bayer Leverkusen, his wonder strikes against Aston Villa, Everton and Chelsea all at SJP, winding that cunt Roy Keane up in our 4-3 win against Manure, his penalty against the mackems in his last ever match for us, that amazing night against Celtic for his testimonial which I will never forget, and of course the record breaking goal against Portsmouth. Thats of the top of my head.

The things I miss most of all other than looking at him when I was wondering where a goal was gonna come from when we were struggling, is THAT celebration and a simple thing like when he came back to defend a corner and the ball was like a magnet to his head. I still stand by what I've always said, I don't care who scores for Newcastle, but every time Shearer scored it felt that little bit better. A bit more satisfying.

Happy birthday to a true legend. Got so many amazing memories watching him play for us and England. A few personal highlights have to be the 5-0 against Manure, hat-trick against Leicester in the 4-3 win, his goals in the Sheffield United and Spurs FA Cup semi-finals, his double against Inter Milan at the San Siro, hat-trick against Bayer Leverkusen, his wonder strikes against Aston Villa, Everton and Chelsea all at SJP, winding that c*** Roy Keane up in our 4-3 win against Manure, his penalty against the mackems in his last ever match for us, that amazing night against Celtic for his testimonial which I will never forget, and of course the record breaking goal against Portsmouth. Thats of the top of my head.

The things I miss most of all other than looking at him when I was wondering where a goal was gonna come from when we were struggling, is THAT celebration and a simple thing like when he came back to defend a corner and the ball was like a magnet to his head. I still stand by what I've always said, I don't care who scores for Newcastle, but every time Shearer scored it felt that little bit better. A bit more satisfying.

Completely know what you mean

We certainly carried him for the final 2 seasons, especially the last, but considering he'd been carrying us for 6 before it we owed him.

Like said those two injuries not only made him miss nearly two full seasons at the time, but certainly cut his career short and made him drastically change his game.

I don't think he hold the club back in his last two seasons. He was still top scorer in his last, wasn't he?

I think in the 2005/2006 season, together with Owen he would have been far better because the whole team did well whenever Owen was playing (almost ever). That match against West Ham where Owen scored a hattrick for example, or Arsenal at home with Nobby's winning goal.

Though, I agree that he maybe had a bit too much influence in his last years. But that's the way it is, he deserved it, somehow. He deserved to stay on untill he would finally break that record of Milburn.

Guest firetotheworks

That last sentence man, queer as f***. :lol:

:lol:

I can see it now

Teddy: 'Alan I'm at my wits end, she's left me, took the kids, took the dog. What should I do Al?'

Alan: 'Goals'

Teddy: 'What?'

Alan: 'Goals Teddy...goals.'

I'll never believe he held us back. He kept banging them in and ultimately became our record goalscorer, we've went down the pot since then.

Happy Birthday Alan, thanks for everything  :smitten:

would have all depended on who was spending the money to replace him wouldn't it?

SBR i'd have trusted with a wedge, all of the jokers that followed him up to shearer going i wouldn't whatsoever

Was watching his testimonial the other day, and that wonderfully cringeworthy moment when the referee gave the penalty and Shearer suddenly whipped his training top off and came on :lol:

"Referee says penalty! And guess what, do you know who's going to take it? Well it may be orchestrated but the situation demands it.....and Alan Shearer, who has rescued Newcastle so many times before has the chance to do so again, for the very last time...SAME OLD SHEARER, ALWAYS SCORING..."

:smitten:

Was watching his testimonial the other day, and that wonderfully cringeworthy moment when the referee gave the penalty and Shearer suddenly whipped his training top off and came on :lol:

"Referee says penalty! And guess what, do you know who's going to take it? Well it may be orchestrated but the situation demands it.....and Alan Shearer, who has rescued Newcastle so many times before has the chance to do so again, for the very last time...SAME OLD SHEARER, ALWAYS SCORING..."

Ah, loved that.   :)

I might watch the DVD soon again now.

:smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten: