Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=451142&cc=5901

Rangers match-winner DaMarcus Beasley insists UEFA and FIFA must take a hard line stance against racism after he was targeted by FK Zeta fans making monkey noises during last night's Champions League tie.

The UEFA match delegate included the actions of the home supporters in his report and the end of Zeta's European campaign could be followed by heavy punishment.

American Beasley had experienced similar in the past, and he fears the message that racism is unacceptable is just not getting through to supporters in some countries.

Beasley hit the late winner as Rangers prevailed 1-0 on the night and 3-0 on aggregate.

Afterwards, the former PSV Eindhoven winger promised to discuss with Rangers whether the club should make an official complaint.

He said: 'That's something FIFA and UEFA must fight with, and solve.

'This is the 21st century, and we are still having trouble with it.

'That's not normal, not just for us, black players, that's not normal for all other normal people.

'I've faced that kind of situation throughout my whole career in Europe, not so much during my playing days in England, but even in Holland I've had similar problems.

'There, at PSV, the club's management held meetings with me, trying to solve that together, but, things happened, especially at some European matches.'

He added: 'It sickens me to hear these chants but when you are on the pitch you have to try to blank it out. It degrades the game for everyone.

'I will discuss the situation with Rangers because I feel strongly about it and we will decide if we should file a complaint.'

Beasley fears the worst might still be to come, with Red Star Belgrade potential opponents in the final round of qualifying for the tournament proper.

The Serbian side lead Levadia Tallinn 1-0 after the first leg and face a tricky test in Estonia tonight.

Beasley recalled a Champions League qualifier he played for PSV against Red Star in August 2004, when he also came in for abuse.

He said: 'I remember playing against Red Star Belgrade, and I mention them as they could be our next opponents in the Champions League, and I still remember some racist chants at that away match.

'As a club (PSV), we did our best to point our finger at that problem, we warned UEFA on that, but I can't remember if there was any serious reaction after it.

'Maybe I'm wrong, but despite that, I'm sure that UEFA, and FIFA, are doing their best, too, to kick racism out of football, as it is necessary for us all to play in healthy sport.'

UEFA will also consider incidents in which bottles were thrown from a stand containing home supporters when Zeta were denied a penalty in the second half, and when substitute Charlie Adam was struck by a lighter.

There were no reported incidents of Rangers supporters misbehaving during the match. They had been warned that any incidents of sectarian chanting could result in strong-handed UEFA action against the club.

Rangers boss Walter Smith admitted he had not heard the abuse, having been absorbed in the game.

He said on the club's website: 'If it did happen I wasn't aware of it but the players coped well with the atmosphere.'

-------------

Thoughts, opinions, solutions?

The only solution is to come down like a ton of fat birds on clubs whose palyers or fans are PROVEN to make racist comments, etc.

In Europe, they get a 5 year ban, and fifa MAKES the national association relegate them from whatever domestic league they are in.

However, you'd have to be careful, as any idiot can (as we have seen on football pitches, the media and even on here) ACCUSE someone of racism. And an accusation isn't the same as fact.

The only solution is to come down like a ton of fat birds on clubs whose palyers or fans are PROVEN to make racist comments, etc.

In Europe, they get a 5 year ban, and fifa MAKES the national association relegate them from whatever domestic league they are in.

However, you'd have to be careful, as any idiot can (as we have seen on football pitches, the media and even on here) ACCUSE someone of racism. And an accusation isn't the same as fact.

Spot on.

It's all in FIFA's hands anyways, and the individual clubs and leagues. Living in North America, which has had such an illustrious history with racism, such shit would never ever be stood for in North American sporting arenas, or any public venues.

Certain parts of Europe seem to still be living in the dark ages.

Spot on.

It's all in FIFA's hands anyways, and the individual clubs and leagues. Living in North America, which has had such an illustrious history with racism, such shit would never ever be stood for in North American sporting arenas, or any public venues.

Certain parts of Europe seem to still be living in the dark ages.

If it wasn't for the fact that the underlying message behind the racism in parts of continental europe is so abhorant, the fact that such outdated - and frankly fucking childish - behaviour goes on at all would be comical.

Guest 22bnw

Its disgusting behaviour..but its difficult to come down hard. E.g. Emre last season - he probably didn't do it, but the verdict could have so easily gone the other way.

Pot calling the kettle black there. (No pun intended)

Weren't Rangers fans in the shit last weekend for singing sectarian songs against Inverness..

Surely secrtarianism and racism should have equal punishment.

This.  Although I doubt many people from glasgow would agree with you

Guest 22bnw

I don't understand why they continue the sectarian chanting because as far as I'm aware the clubs far from endorse it. They aren't true fans if they do it IMO

Clubs who's support are repeatedly reported to the authorities by the ref, players or the opposing club should expect a ban from that competition. Half measures have got us nowhere.

Guest optimistic nit

i think clubs should be either forced to play behind closed doors for 10 games or relegated/banned if they refuse. Its hard to punish a club when it can only do so much to control its fans, but a 10 game behind closed doors streak and a hefty fine should get it through to the fans. The club will also have to compensate season ticket holders.

Guest 22bnw

I suggest a £40 fine will solve this particular issue.

No way. I'm not paying. I have a right to post in this thread  :weep:

There's been loads of discussion in Scotland about this sort of thing this week.  Racism and sectarianism should be dealt with in the same way.

How to approach it?

I know where people are coming from by saying there's only so much the clubs can do and, in all fairness, both Rangers and Celtic have made huge strides to eradicate the problem of sectarianism.  It has worked at their home matches but their travelling support still persist with their inappropriate behaviour.

However, I believe that the best way to deal with it IS to punish the clubs.  Fine them, ban them from competitions, dock them points.  Supporters like to support a successful team and by pinning the clubs success to the behaviour of the fans in this way the so-called silent majority will be more inclined to root out the trouble makers and sort it out themselves.  This is the only way in my opinion - we have to force home the message that if you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem.

I suggest a £40 fine will solve this particular issue.

Surely at the discretion of the officer catching you doing it at the time, based on what sort of day he's having?

:lol:

Regarding the Emre thing, I have no doubt that he said something out of order, for Yobo and Howard to pursue their case so strongly there had to have been something substantial there. However, once again the Premier League went soft on it, and the way they handled the case was laughable.

The way it needs to be done is: player X calls player Y a nigger / chink / paki / martian... player Y and player Z both hear it, and complain. Instant fine / ban on X.

THAT would be taking a hard line for on-pitch racism, as there is no way to prove these things, except hearsay.