Football stuff on TV

Keefaz

The United thing is a drama btw.

It's no Goal.

That trick Munez pulled to Real still  hurts worse than Carroll.

Sir Matt Busby's family incensed over TV portrayal of iconic Manchester United manager

The family of iconic Manchester United manager Sir Matt Busby have criticised a new BBC film depicting the story of the 1958 Munich air disaster in which eight of the Busby Babes were killed.

The feature-length drama, titled United, stars Dougray Scott as Sir Matt and former Doctor Who David Tennant as his assistant Jimmy Murphy, and is, according to Busby's family, riddled with inaccuracies.

The 90-minute film, which will be shown on BBC Two on Sunday, centres around Manchester United first-team coach Murphy and how he rebuilt the team while Sir Matt recuperated from his injuries, and also how 20-year-old Bobby Charlton coped with his grief following the accident.

But the dramatisation has angered Sir Matt's relatives, from the clothes he wears to the way his character is portrayed.

"The film-makers have put my dad in an overcoat and a trilby hat," Sir Matt's son Sandy told the Mirror. "He looks more like a gangster than a football manager.

"In the film he never appears in a tracksuit, which is ridiculous, given he was the first 'tracksuit' manager of his generation.

"And the way he’s played, with head constantly to one side, is all wrong. My father was a proud man, proud of his fitness and of the way he carried himself.

"They’ve also got his character all wrong. In one scene, my dad is talking to Alan Hardaker [former Football League secretary] and speaks to him in a manner and in a tone my father would never have used.

"I wasn’t consulted about this film and, after seeing it, I’m glad I had nothing to do with it.

"The film-makers said they would protect the feelings of those relatives affected by the Munich disaster. But I was very upset watching the scene involving the third [and fatal] take-off of the aeroplane and had to leave the room."

Harry Gregg, the former United goalkeeper, who pulled Sir Matt and several team-mates - including Charlton - out of the wreckage, was also critical.

"Sir Matt had an aura about him and everyone respected him. But he certainly didn’t walk about in a trilby and a camel hair coat, as he does in the film.

"The film portrays us as a pub team. To me that is a terrible insult to the great footballers of that generation, the likes of Roger Byrne and Tommy Taylor.

"If that’s the way the United team of that time is portrayed, what does it say about other great players of that era, like Billy Wright, Dave MacKay or Danny and Jackie Blanchflower?

"The film gives a totally false picture of football at that time, which is what angered me the most. In the film, Mark Jones [united defender who died in Munich] is smoking a pipe in the tunnel before a game. I know there’s poetic licence, but that’s ridiculous."

Sandy added: "My dad appointed a loyal staff including Joe [Armstrong], who was chief scout and responsible for discovering many of the Busby Babes. But there is no mention of him in the film."

United secretary Walter Crickmer and coach Bert Whalley are also barely mentioned, while the eight journalists who were killed in the tragedy are omitted from the film.

United's director James Strong, said: "We’ve made every endeavour to be as accurate and truthful as possible in spirit and intention.

"We want this to be a fitting and appropriate memory of these amazing players, this amazing team and this amazing story that a lot of people are aware of."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/8468244/Sir-Matt-Busbys-family-incensed-over-TV-portrayal-of-iconic-Manchester-United-manager.html

I could slightly understand this if there was any logical reason for the BBC to make this programme.

I remember all the sadness and and sympathy after the crash being a young lad at the time.

But utd have been dining out on the sympathy vote media-wise for far too long now and, to me, this only shows that it's set to continue.

:kinnear:

Self-pity city.

I could slightly understand this if there was any logical reason for the BBC to make this programme.

I remember all the sadness and and sympathy after the crash being a young lad at the time.

But utd have been dining out on the sympathy vote media-wise for far too long now and, to me, this only shows that it's set to continue. Why else did they get away with winning fuck all for 26 years with Doherty's 2nd division side being compared to the Busby babes?

Oh the irony :lol:

The portrayal of Sir Matt was a strange one. They got the voice right, but the character in the drama seemed to have almost a sinister air about him.

They also seemed to want to blame the disaster on Alan Hardaker and the Football League's insistence on the team getting back for the Saturday fixture. There may be some complaints about that. My understanding was that the decision to go for the third, disastrous attempt at taking off was Busby's. He was probably concerned that a postponement would lead to the players being very late and tired for the game on the Saturday.

Self-pity city.

But utd have been dining out on the sympathy vote media-wise for far too long now and, to me, this only shows that it's set to continue. Why else did they get away with winning fuck all for 26 years with Doherty's 2nd division side being compared to the Busby babes?

Oh the irony :lol:

They're the most self righteous and self pitying cunts on this planet.

God forbid any other team should go through a terrible tragedy and steal Liverpool's thunder.  Boycott the BBC, justice for the 96.

I thought it was very good. Some very touching scenes.

I was glad to see whitley bay and tynemouth in the film. As well as my mate :)

i just worry that some people take it almost as a documentary and not the fiction that it is is (like thats damned united)

some of this is s****.......the after crash scene....blood in perfectly straight lines, playing cards all face up lying perfectly on the snow in some show of fake poignancy, going for emotion as opposed to drama or realism.

some of this is s****.......the after crash scene....blood in perfectly straight lines, playing cards all face up lying perfectly on the snow in some show of fake poignancy, going for emotion as opposed to drama or realism.

Yeah I thought that was a little bit hammed up. Agree though that it should be treated in the same light as The Damned United, which was also very good.

Yeah I thought that was a little bit hammed up. Agree though that it should be treated in the same light as The Damned United, which was also very good.

it's very similar to the damned united  which i thought had more drama then reality.

it's very similar to the damned united  which i thought had more drama then reality.

It did, but I enjoyed the portrayal of Clough by Michael Sheen.

for the cup final, when david tennant comes and at the back  if the line and pats a player on the back......thats our liam (holland top in the red/blues game)

Nice :thup: :)