The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

I remember how we were struggling to balance all the players Allardyce has signed so Keegan with his lack of tactical nous played Owen in the hole behind Viduka and Martins and it actually worked

Thought Klopp didn't have a winner's mentality. Or is it Pochettino? I can't keep up. Suppose we'll find out on June 1st cos they can't both have one.

Well quite.

We will :snod:

Pochettino has lost like 17 times this season with a lineup that cost on average £300million.

“Miracle” worker though :rolleyes:

Got Spurs to a CL final.

And it's hot shit anyway. Cba to find their most appeared XI but the strongest is arguably:

Lloris - 12m

Sanchez - 42m

Alderweireld - 11.5m

Vertonghen - 12m

Trippier - 3.5m

Sissoko - 30m

Eriksen - 11m

Rose - 1m

Son - 22m

Kane - Nowt

Alli - 5m

Total - £150m

Even if you add in Lucas (22m), Lamela (25m) and Aurier (22.5m) for their 3 cheapest players it's still wildly inaccurate. Maybe he's stuffing 50's into the players kegs but that'd be a lot of notes.

I'm not trying to even enter this argument, but wasn't most of that team purchased like prior to the most recent super inflation of transfer fees? Literally honest question. I recall at the time thinking Son was expensive as fuck in context to other deals.

Keegan got us promoted and then had us competing for a Premier League within 2 seasons. Yet "lacked tactical nous". Okay then :lol:

It was proved he did his style was simply you score 3 we will score 4 That year in 96 where Man United ground out 1-0 win after 1-0 win is what fucked us. 1-0 up at Ewood and ended up losing, the Anfield game once we took the lead we should have won. Man united seen games out once they went infront that season because Ferguson was far superior tactically and game management wise

Keegan crumbled under the pressure and it spread to our team

Someone’s hoovered up the trite media narrative eh?

Schmeichel was the difference if you ask me. That’s it.

Edit - also subsequent interviews with Gillespie and Ginola at least iirc said that they were not adversely affected by the ‘love it if we beat you’ stuff and that they loved his passion

Schmeichel and Cantona were the difference we didn't have them kind in our side. As much as I loved Pav he wasn't in the same level as a keeper and a fabulous goalkeeper can make a huge difference

The “Keegan - tactically naive!” thing does my nut in to be honest.  He might not have been big on organising the defensive shape and working on set plays but he knew football and how to win football matches.  I remember plenty of games at SJP where we were say cruising 2-0 up in the 2nd half and we would just keep the ball for 10-15 minutes to demoralise the other side, then we’d go and get another couple of goals towards the end.  That’s not being tactically naive to stupidly gung-ho, it comes from someone who was one of the best at what he did.

Keegan got us promoted and then had us competing for a Premier League within 2 seasons. Yet "lacked tactical nous". Okay then :lol:

It was proved he did his style was simply you score 3 we will score 4 That year in 96 where Man United ground out 1-0 win after 1-0 win is what fucked us. 1-0 up at Ewood and ended up losing, the Anfield game once we took the lead we should have won. Man united seen games out once they went infront that season because Ferguson was far superior tactically and game management wise

Keegan crumbled under the pressure and it spread to our team

Someone’s hoovered up the trite media narrative eh?

Schmeichel was the difference if you ask me. That’s it.

Edit - also subsequent interviews with Gillespie and Ginola at least iirc said that they were not adversely affected by the ‘love it if we beat you’ stuff and that they loved his passion

Schmeichel and Cantona were the difference we didn't have them kind in our side. As much as I loved Pav he wasn't in the same level as a keeper and a fabulous goalkeeper can make a huge difference

Agree 👍

I’ve always said we would’ve won the league if we’d had a Seaman or a Flowers. 

The “Keegan - tactically naive!” thing does my nut in to be honest.  He might not have been big on organising the defensive shape and working on set plays but he knew football and how to win football matches.  I remember plenty of games at SJP where we were say cruising 2-0 up in the 2nd half and we would just keep the ball for 10-15 minutes to demoralise the other side, then we’d go and get another couple of goals towards the end.  That’s not being tactically naive to stupidly gung-ho, it comes from someone who was one of the best at what he did.

I find that when teams lose playing open and attacking football they are lazily dismissed for being tactically naive. Theres a feeling that stifling the opposition attack rather than dismantling the opposition defence are only worthy of being called genius tactics.

I find that when teams lose playing open and attacking football they are lazily dismissed for being tactically naive. Theres a feeling that stifling the opposition attack rather than dismantling the opposition defence are only worthy of being called genius tactics.

I suppose it’s down to whatever you class as great tactics.  To me it’s all sorts of things such as making sure you win a game when you’re in the lead, making the right changes when things aren’t going well, and recognising where you can hurt the opposition.  Keegan was good these i think, as is Rafa even though he’s seen as a defensive coach.  Defensive shape and organisation etc. definitely does come into it, but it’s not the main thing that makes a master tactician like some of the dinosaur pundits would have everyone believe.

I suppose it’s down to whatever you class as great tactics.  To me it’s all sorts of things such as making sure you win a game when you’re in the lead, making the right changes when things aren’t going well, and recognising where you can hurt the opposition.  Keegan was good these i think, as is Rafa even though he’s seen as a defensive coach.  Defensive shape and organisation etc. definitely does come into it, but it’s not the main thing that makes a master tactician like some of the dinosaur pundits would have everyone believe.

As much as i loved them years in the 90s and think Keegan was awesome for us and it gave me the best memories i have as a toon fan its a crying shame Bobby didn't come when Keegan had left as he initially agreed to  as id have loved to have seen him with that squad wed have been on a different level

Keegan isn’t my type of manager

I'm a bit late to the party but what in god's name is this opinon :lol:

Only came 3rd with a promoted club and finished as top scorers to boot. Bloke is a dirty fraud - a failure, the money he wasted on Mike Jeffrey will never be forgotten. Thankfully Real Mike treated him accordingly.

:lol: :anguish: Weirdly obsessed with the abilities of football managers yet doesn't rate the best one in our recent history, who completely transformed our club and had us playing some of the best football in Europe, becoming one of the biggest clubs in Europe.

Cheers, I've seen enough.  Think most have.

Rafa Benitez is the best manager CV wise the club has ever had.

Kevin Keegan isn’t even anywhere near Sir Bobby in managerial CV.

Keegan isn’t on the same planet as Rafa Benitez as a manager the CV of both men tell you that :thup:

What relevance does Rafa's CV at other clubs have when discussing best Newcastle managers? If you think Rafa has done more for Newcastle than Keegan did then I don't know what to say.

:lol: :anguish: Weirdly obsessed with the abilities of football managers yet doesn't rate the best one in our recent history, who completely transformed our club and had us playing some of the best football in Europe, becoming one of the biggest clubs in Europe.

Cheers, I've seen enough.  Think most have.

Rafa Benitez is the best manager CV wise the club has ever had.

Kevin Keegan isn’t even anywhere near Sir Bobby in managerial CV.

Keegan isn’t on the same planet as Rafa Benitez as a manager the CV of both men tell you that :thup:

What relevance does Rafa's CV at other clubs have when discussing best Newcastle managers? If you think Rafa has done more for Newcastle than Keegan did then I don't know what to say.

Rafa has a great CV and has done well at other clubs but to say hes been better for NUFC than Keegan or Bobby is outrageous

Keegan is the most important manager in our recent history. Your reply went off on a tangent about Rafa and Bobby's achievements at other clubs, don't see how that was a relevant reply to what Keegan did for NUFC.