Manchester City

OzzieMandias

I live in Manchester and inlaws are City fans. Brothers in law have followed them all over lower division grounds and now Europe. Through them and others I know loads of longstanding fans, who seem just like our lot really. With the added humiliation of having the achievements of their main rivals rammed down their throat for many years. So my sense of their primary fan base is of people who can’t believe their luck/are still shaking off core feeling of always expecting to fuck it up.

What is funny to see is the shift in who the kids support. There  are two lads at my son’s school who come from Man Utd supporting families who want to support Man City! Tickles me to bits seeing the angst of their parents (and steadfast refusal, from one,  to buy them a strip).

It’s strange because I bet I could count on one hand the number of Man City fans I’ve met in day to day life, they are in short demand nationally as opposed to other top 6 clubs and even the likes of us, the mackems, Villa, Everton etc. who I seem to meet more frequently.

Quite a lot of them over here now.  They'll have seen huge growth in the Asian market along with Chelsea.  Liverpool seem to be the team dropping in popularity as fan migrate to more successful clubs.

I've thought that traditionally they've generally had a decent fanbase- nowhere near the 'best fans in the world' tag they assign themselves, but considering their situation (in D2/3, in Man Utd's shadow) and how localised their support used to be it was decent. Now, they still can't fill their plastic little ground (probably because half of them have been priced out). When you see CL matches and they score an important goal and the camera rushes to the crowd to try and catch some wild celebrations you genuinely do just see people standing up and- at best- applauding. It's fucking disgusting, I truly hope we never turn into that.

You can't blame the younger generation just getting into football now. With their exposure to FIFA and everything else that markets the crap out of MCFC, and with how they are just crushing everyone, it's as expected as it is sad to see. Especially youngsters up here, it's heartbreaking.....but what inspiration could they possibly take from NUFC? If your parents don't pass it on it's unlikely you'll find any magic in the black and white right now as a kid.

On another note, what will be interesting to see is how City's dominance under Pep will affect the PL. Or it's brand. For me, no one is getting close to them for another 2-3 years, in which time the lack of competition as we have recently known it will become zero competition. Especially if the likes of Valencia & Atletico Madrid can make it more than a two horse race in Spain, and if Serie A keeps picking, people from around the world will eventually start to pay more attention to these leagues. Meanwhile the Premiership will be no different to Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga in teams of a competitive title race. That's what people deserve in fairness for being so arrogant and dismissive of Guardiola's ability to succeed in England. Total fools.

Either way, if City are going to ever do one good thing....please be that you send the Premier League/Sky empire crashing to the ground.

Guest Howaythetoon

I cant see the popularity of the PL decreasing any time soon even if one team were to dominate. The rest will just keep throwing money at it and changing managers to keep up. On a football perspective, I do hope they win the league and at a canter as seems to be happening because it may force others to adopt a similar approach. There are far too many boring teams around with similar styles. Even Man Utd who I read would have lead the table a few times in former years with their current points tally are extremely boring despite some exciting players. City as a club for years have been a nothing club, although with a decent fan base which has now been diluted by day trippers and glory seekers. I honestly think if we were taken over and become another City if you like, our own fan base wouldn’t be as diluted as much. Too far North and being a one city club means the interest in NUFC will always come from within first and foremost. A City type takeover would probably lead to tens of thousands extra locals wanting to go to the match never mind others from outside of the City. Manchester City and the likes of Chelsea can never replicate that so they actually need tourist fans more than other clubs.

I cant see the popularity of the PL decreasing any time soon even if one team were to dominate. The rest will just keep throwing money at it and changing managers to keep up. On a football perspective, I do hope they win the league and at a canter as seems to be happening because it may force others to adopt a similar approach. There are far too many boring teams around with similar styles. Even Man Utd who I read would have lead the table a few times in former years with their current points tally are extremely boring despite some exciting players. City as a club for years have been a nothing club, although with a decent fan base which has now been diluted by day trippers and glory seekers. I honestly think if we were taken over and become another City if you like, our own fan base wouldn’t be as diluted as much. Too far North and being a one city club means the interest in NUFC will always come from within first and foremost. A City type takeover would probably lead to tens of thousands extra locals wanting to go to the match never mind others from outside of the City. Manchester City and the likes of Chelsea can never replicate that so they actually need tourist fans more than other clubs.

Yeah, you make some good points re fanbase and demand tbf. I agree.

How Mourinho is getting away playing the negative football he does is absolutely scandalous. An embarrassment of a manager these days imo. Plays for 0-0's in big matches, it's a load of crap.

I don't have problem with teams in the bottom half playing defensively- they almost have to if they want to get results. There's so much pressure on managers now that why would you take risks? This league is now set up to prevent people from playing expressive, risk-taking football....players aren't allowed to be creative or play with attacking freedom. You can totally understand a managers perspective on it. It's sad but it's the beast the likes of Sky have insisted on creating- drama, drama, drama.....every single day. Can't go a day in the pulsating PL without some drama like a manager being sacked for no fucking reason!

Regardless of how competitive the league is, you look at the general quality of football in La Liga and it's just lightyears ahead of here. Someone like Real Betis would play half the teams in our division off the park. You look at the likes of Eibar as well and what they have become despite their natural limitations and it is a beautiful sight. The Premiership is just a gross, sterile money fight these days. As a supporter I don't think the matchday experience has ever been worse, either.

Guest Howaythetoon

How Mourinho is getting away playing the negative football he does is absolutely scandalous. An embarrassment of a manager these days imo. Plays for 0-0's in big matches, it's a load of crap.

I don't have problem with teams in the bottom half playing defensively- they almost have to if they want to get results. There's so much pressure on managers now that why would you take risks? This league is now set up to prevent people from playing expressive, risk-taking football....players aren't allowed to be creative or play with attacking freedom. You can totally understand a managers perspective on it. It's sad but it's the beast the likes of Sky have insisted on creating- drama, drama, drama.....every single day. Can't go a day in the pulsating PL without some drama like a manager being sacked for no f***ing reason!

Regardless of how competitive the league is, you look at the general quality of football in La Liga and it's just lightyears ahead of here. Someone like Real Betis would play half the teams in our division off the park. You look at the likes of Eibar as well and what they have become despite their natural limitations and it is a beautiful sight. The Premiership is just a gross, sterile money fight these days. As a supporter I don't think the matchday experience has ever been worse, either.

I agree wholeheartedly. I pissed and moaned about how we played against Man City but that’s because I’m a fan, but the way Sky went on was a joke. It’s thanks to them in the main why we have managerial merry go rounds and the dominance of few teams not to mention the poor quality of football because it’s all about staying in the league to pick up the money or not getting beat.

Mourinho is a joke these days. When he first come to England he was a breath of fresh air, his Chelsea side was solid, but attacking too. He would go to Old Trafford and go for the win. This Man Utd side is as boring as anything I’ve seen from a so called top team.

He probably needs a year or so out of the game.

I don’t watch much European football, I barely watch any here, but from what I’ve seen the technical side of the game is of a higher standard and lower half teams from abroad would wipe the floor with some sides in the Premier League on football alone.

Our League still has its moments mind and when two teams go at it, I don’t think there is a better spectacle of a game than here when it’s played like that. Sadly it’s a rare event these days.

Back in the early 90s and even early 00s teams generally wee set up to go at teams and it was much more exciting with teams of varying style and exciting players. Almost every club had a stand out player or exciting players. Now they are all identikit.

Take Gray at Leicester for example or Redmond at Southampton, good players with the right attributes, but they play so defensively and within themselves to the point you look at them and think, they are samey samey. Far too many players like that across most teams. That’s why I loved Ben Arfa, he was different.

I find liverpool a breath of fresh air and enjoy watching them more so than Man City. Arsenal bore me these days, it’s the same every season, but at least they try and play. Spurs for me are probably the best team all-round in terms of coaching, style of play and they have some excellent players. But Man City are so far ahead it’s almost unfair on the likes of them who would probably be serious challengers if they were removed from the scene and clubs that also spend mega money.

Mourinho is taking the piss saying Man Utd need to spend more. They already have a strong team with some really good players, they are so far behind because their manager is a dull bore who has his players shackled even against the likes of Southampton.

The rest are much of the same.

I don't have problem with teams in the bottom half playing defensively- they almost have to if they want to get results. There's so much pressure on managers now that why would you take risks? This league is now set up to prevent people from playing expressive, risk-taking football....players aren't allowed to be creative or play with attacking freedom. You can totally understand a managers perspective on it. It's sad but it's the beast the likes of Sky have insisted on creating- drama, drama, drama.....every single day. Can't go a day in the pulsating PL without some drama like a manager being sacked for no f***ing reason!

I agree wholeheartedly. I p*ssed and moaned about how we played against Man City but that’s because I’m a fan, but the way Sky went on was a joke. It’s thanks to them in the main why we have managerial merry go rounds and the dominance of few teams not to mention the poor quality of football because it’s all about staying in the league to pick up the money or not getting beat.

Mourinho is a joke these days. When he first come to England he was a breath of fresh air, his Chelsea side was solid, but attacking too. He would go to Old Trafford and go for the win. This Man Utd side is as boring as anything I’ve seen from a so called top team.

He probably needs a year or so out of the game.

I don’t watch much European football, I barely watch any here, but from what I’ve seen the technical side of the game is of a higher standard and lower half teams from abroad would wipe the floor with some sides in the Premier League on football alone.

Our League still has its moments mind and when two teams go at it, I don’t think there is a better spectacle of a game than here when it’s played like that. Sadly it’s a rare event these days.

Back in the early 90s and even early 00s teams generally wee set up to go at teams and it was much more exciting with teams of varying style and exciting players. Almost every club had a stand out player or exciting players. Now they are all identikit.

Take Gray at Leicester for example or Redmond at Southampton, good players with the right attributes, but they play so defensively and within themselves to the point you look at them and think, they are samey samey. Far too many players like that across most teams. That’s why I loved Ben Arfa, he was different.

I find liverpool a breath of fresh air and enjoy watching them more so than Man City. Arsenal bore me these days, it’s the same every season, but at least they try and play. Spurs for me are probably the best team all-round in terms of coaching, style of play and they have some excellent players. But Man City are so far ahead it’s almost unfair on the likes of them who would probably be serious challengers if they were removed from the scene and clubs that also spend mega money.

Mourinho is taking the p*ss saying Man Utd need to spend more. They already have a strong team with some really good players, they are so far behind because their manager is a dull bore who has his players shackled even against the likes of Southampton.

The rest are much of the same.

I couldn't agree more about stand-out players at each team. Nevermind just a stand-out player in general, most teams in the 90's had a striker who could get into double figures. The premier league may have more money in it now, but back then when it came to that level of talent they had an embarrassment of riches in my opinion.

Today it feels like fitness levels have taken complete precedence over technique. There are so few teams now who have players that can pull off a display of sheer brilliance out of nowhere. I won't even get into the whole English talent argument because that's a can of worms just waiting to be opened :lol:

It's way too early to be talking about dominance with regards to City and multiple seasons, there's a reason why back to backs or further don't happen that often.

Teams adapt and copy what's best to beat the champions, I mean look at the history of the CL for example only Madrid have retained and I still feel like that was mainly due to competition dropping off significantly.

It's not a very easy thing to keep over multiple seasons, don't get me wrong I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen but I think talk of it happening is very premature.

Guest Howaythetoon

Each team would have a striker who could get 15 goals or more. I remember when the likes of Milosovic would get panned at Villa because he didn’t score 20 a season, ironically an 8 goal a season type of striker now would commmand 20m or so. I think with the Premier League it’s all about not losing and players working hard which makes it harder for flair players or strikers. Doesnt help when managers like Moyes, Mourinho, Pardew and Big Sam are in the dugout...

It's way too early to be talking about dominance with regards to City and multiple seasons, there's a reason why back to backs or further don't happen that often.

Teams adapt and copy what's best to beat the champions, I mean look at the history of the CL for example only Madrid have retained and I still feel like that was mainly due to competition dropping off significantly.

It's not a very easy thing to keep over multiple seasons, don't get me wrong I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen but I think talk of it happening is very premature.

:thup: Spot on.

Guest Howaythetoon

True, but if they do win it at a canter, it may turn teams even more defensive. The mindset will go from trying to win the title to trying to get a CL spot for the challengers which admittedly there are more teams capable of finishing in the top 4 now so that will always be at the back of their minds.

I’d love for it all to crash and burn mind.

Each team would have a striker who could get 15 goals or more. I remember when the likes of Milosovic would get panned at Villa because he didn’t score 20 a season, ironically an 8 goal a season type of striker now would commmand 20m or so. I think with the Premier League it’s all about not losing and players working hard which makes it harder for flair players or strikers. Doesnt help when managers like Moyes, Mourinho, Pardew and Big Sam are in the dugout...

Most teams played two up front then though, it's a lot easier to score goals with a partner and the general tactics have changed.

The drop off in having loads of great scorers doesn't really surprise me tbh, it's just a product of the environment changing and that goes for a lot more than just strikers.

I imagine people older than you felt the same way about the game you grew up with as you do about today's game.

Guest Howaythetoon

Most teams played two up front then though, it's a lot easier to score goals with a partner and the general tactics have changed.

The drop off in having loads of great scorers doesn't really surprise me tbh, it's just a product of the environment changing and that goes for a lot more than just strikers.

I imagine people older than you felt the same way about the game you grew up with as you do about today's game.

You are right in much of what you say, but the reason why 2 up top isn’t a feature these days is more down to not wanting to take risks because the risk of going down is so big or not qualifying for the CL is so big. Strikers these days are told to defend first also. Only the very very best get into double figures.

Older people I know yearn for the the ‘olden’ days. Me I yearn for 1990s. Admittedly that’s because we were actually good, I was young and getting into the sport and innocent when it came to footy in that I didn’t hate other teams or other players etc. because it was all new and exciting to me.

The golden period of the PL was from it’s inception to 2004 just before Abramovic came along and changed the landscape of the game financially. Say what you will about Man Utd, but every penny they spent on players came from the club’s actual revenues and even the likes of us could compete and did.

Our problem was piss poor managerial appointments.

The PL today is predictable, dull and so uncompetitive and I don’t just mean financially, but out there on the pitch. Most managers even the likes of Mourinho would settle for a point rather than risk losing.

KK we played Chelsea away not long after Xmas back in the early 90s and we lost and didn’t play particularly well. His response was that losing wasn’t acceptable and if the players couldn’t beat teams like Chelsea (away) he’d replace them.

The thought of beating Chelsea away today is the stuff of dreams and would have many a pen writer claiming such a feat as a famous victory, the PL can fuck off really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

It’s true to a huge extent but then he and his ilk spend day after day denigrating the domestic cups only to get angry when fans of teams other than those of their own don’t take it seriously. Much like VAR you reap what you sow.

Suspect city fans were off their tits midweek much to the chagrin of a lot of the presspack.