Ki Sung-gone

Guest ManDoon

Such an impressive game last night. Whenever he receives the ball he's always either already in acres of space or he manoeuvres into space before playing it to a B&W shirt. Cool as a cucumber.

Guest reefatoon

Written off as s**** and the new Geremi after about 3 games. :thup:

And now praised to the hilt and the new Gazza after about 3 good games. It all swings in roundabouts on here fella.

Classy as fuck last night.  When a few were losing their heads and Burnley were just pumping it long and tearing about like lunatics. Ki was just always so casual and kept it simple.  Hard to call MOTM, as I thought Diame and Yedlin were both superb with their workrate and getting stuck in.  But I think this fella probably deserves it.

Looked brilliant again last night but Diame needs to take a lot of the credit as well for digging in and doing all the dirty work to allow Ki to play. There was a spell in the 1st half where you could hear the Burnley fans moaning and groaning because they couldn't get near our two central midfielders.

Guest neesy111

Written off as shite and the new Geremi after about 3 games. :thup:

as a long time fan of Ki i was amazed how bad he was in those two early performances like

fitness didn't seem to explain it, he looked like he'd lost the will to live never mind play PL football :lol:

Didn't swansea fans say when he's good he's excellent but when he's bad he's very bad.  Seems to me a confidence player.

Guest reefatoon

Yep, they are working really well together. Shelvey is our best midfielder, but we play much better as a team with Ki and Diame in there. Wouldn't change anything at the moment.

Like a lot of players you don't fully appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of their game until you watch them closely.

I know a lot of mackems rated him but his ability to create time and space with a simple drop of the shoulder or feign is  outstanding and his range of passing is very impressive.

Did he lose the ball once lastnight? immense imo.

Can't remember any occasions, he has that rare ability for a Newcastle player to avoid pressure by moving it quickly and cleverly to make time and space. Jonjo has that as well, but Ki does everything much quicker so the game doesn't get slowed down. It's what separates the good sides from the likes of us usually.

I remember being really impressed with him on one of the occasions when the Mackems beat us at St James' as he was so comfortable on the ball and just sort of glided around the pitch keeping possession and dictating play. Great to see him do the same for us last night.

Guest neesy111

Can we seriously just play Shelvey further forward as a 10? I don’t want to see us break up Diame and Ki.

Shelvey isn't a number 10, as much as I don't like Perez he's the best of the bad suite of options.

Can we seriously just play Shelvey further forward as a 10? I don’t want to see us break up Diame and Ki.

Shelvey isn't a number 10, as much as I don't like Perez he's the best of the bad suite of options.

Agree but if we’re keeping the ball a bit more it could be worth a try at home to a team we’re expected to beat

Guest reefatoon

In an ideal world, what would be top target in the transfer market in Jan? Number 10 or striker?

It will be one or the other, but we really could do with both positions being filled.

Seeing as a cardboard cut-out of Ayoze Perez would be twice as effective as the real thing, I think Shelvey might be worth a go.

I wouldn't be against trying Shelvey, but he'd be a completely different option to Perez. Massive reduction in closing/hassling ability and a very different method of linking up with the striker.

Maybe try it with a second-half sub when we're comfortable sometime.

I wouldn't be against trying Shelvey, but he'd be a completely different option to Perez. Massive reduction in closing/hassling ability and a very different method of linking up with the striker.

Maybe try it with a second-half sub when we're comfortable sometime.

Not a bad idea. Think it could work with Shelvey dropping deeper. Would have been destructive on the counter against Burnley last night.

Calm on the ball, smart without the ball.

He is one of the missing pieces in Rafa's chess game, very neat and tidy yet quick to move the game along.

He probably a better fit in our midfield then Shelvey or Diame in Rafa's game plan as we often sit and counter.

A real holding midfielder like Gary was for us, Ki could be the decider how our season goes. (Like when Shelvey in form)

He offloads alot of the pressure in midfield build up play, allowing the wingers to stay in their positions. This in turn allows more freedom and attacking posture from our wingers. I love the fact we have 3 very influential midfielders in the team, if they play to their potentials probably no need to too worried about relegation this season.