Nobby Solano

Skirge

Having his say in The Ronnie Gill today.

Solano believes pressure is all on Aston Villa

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Apr 6 2011

NOBBY SOLANO feels that the pressure is “all on Aston Villa” in Sunday’s big Premier League clash with his beloved Magpies.

The Toon cult hero is convinced that United are just about safe in the top flight in their first season back since romping to the Championship 12 months ago.

However, he cannot say the same about the Villans, who go into the game just above the bottom three and knowing they could be dragged into the mire if they fail to take all three points – especially with a daunting trip to West Ham coming up hot on the heels of Newcastle.

Villa Park regulars unfurled banners such as “Who’s your next Messiah, Ant or Dec?” and “Sob on the Tyne” two years ago as United crashed into the second tier.

But the Brummie bedsheet brigade have been busy with new pieces of work lately, calling for Houllier to walk away from the second city.

All of it will be a far cry from that fateful day in May 2009.

Solano – who has pulled on the shirts of both clubs – told the Chronicle: “On paper, Aston Villa should not go down.

“They have quality players there and some very good young players too.

“I say on paper, but once a relegation battle kicks in, as Newcastle know, it isn’t about impressive stats, it’s about what you do on the pitch.

“When the pressure is on like it is now for Villa then it becomes a different situation.

“If Newcastle come away with a draw then it wouldn’t be a bad result, but Villa need all three.”

Football observers have calculated that 42 points could be the safety total in the top flight this season.

Yet with many teams scrapping away in the bottom six still having to play each other, 39 or 40 could still suffice.

Nevertheless, Solano admits the United fans who used to adore him will sleep easier with another away-day victory on Sunday.

He said: “It’s still a game that is big for both teams. The Premier League has been very tight this season from the bottom to the top and there are quite a few teams that aren’t yet safe.

“I think any team from 11th down could be relegated still.

“And for Newcastle that makes it a hard game because Villa know that really they need to get three points. Villa have difficult games after this, with West Ham away their next game which won’t be easy at Upton Park.

“They need to get a win from somewhere soon so there’s a bit of pressure.”

Solano could only stand back and watch events unfold at Villa two years ago, but while there were tears at Villa Park as the Mags went down with a paltry 34 points, he thinks it could be a very different day this time around.

Indeed, United supporters could well be toasting probable survival as they head back north.

Nobby said: “This is a very different game to the one two years ago.

“Now it is the home fans who are not very happy with Gerard Houllier and it makes life hard for the players when they feel unrest and discontentment from the fans. It’s going to be a tough period for them, that’s for sure.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/04/06/solano-believes-pressure-is-all-on-aston-villa-72703-28469359/2/#ixzz1Ik8E7wC3

Solano: NUFC can make Europe next season

Apr 6 2011

NOBBY SOLANO is confident United have the right ingredients to challenge for a place at Europe’s top table next season.

The Peruvian was part of Sir Bobby Robson’s side that went from rock-bottom in the Premier League to playing in the Champions League in just two seasons.

And the South American has given a resounding thumbs-up to the return of Robson’s trusty assistant John Carver, who played an integral part in building the team that played in Europe’s premier competition.

Solano told the Chronicle: “It was a great move to bring JC back to Newcastle.

“I know all of the players were very happy when he was there and I had the best days of my career working with Bobby Robson and JC.

“The players will quickly see what a good coach he is and if they listen to what he says the club will be moving up the league very quickly.

“JC and Bobby had a lovely combination and working relationship that just seemed to click. And all of the players enjoyed that – it was a happy camp.

“Who is to say if it can’t happen again?”

Solano enjoyed two spells with United and first arrived under Kenny Dalglish in 1998.

He was controversially sold by Sir Bobby to Villa in 2004, but returned to Tyneside in 2005 under Graeme Souness before moving on again.

And he feels there are still enough quality players at St James’ to challenge at the top of the table – but hopes to see some exciting new additions to the squad.

He said: “The players that are still at the club that I know are Stevie Harper, Steven Taylor and Shola Ameobi. I believe they are still big players for Newcastle because they all love the club.

“I think Alan Pardew will be looking forward to getting this season out of the way and then adding to the players he’s got.

“I don’t see any reason why they can’t be pushing towards the Europa League next season, especially if they improve their home form.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/04/06/solano-nufc-can-make-europe-next-season-72703-28469364/#ixzz1Ik8rJdUF

Nobby Solano still dreams of Newcastle return

Apr 6 2011

NOBBY SOLANO admits he still has dreams to fulfil in black-and-white colours.

The Hull City midfielder is enjoying something of an Indian summer at 36 in the Npower Championship alongside former Newcastle coach Nigel Pearson.

Solano is using Pearson as his coaching mentor as he divides life as a first-team back-up player with his role as player-coach with the Tigers.

Hull still have an outside chance of the play-offs and, while a Premier League swansong would be perfection for the Peru legend, Nobby told the Chronicle: “I’m really keen to be a coach. I am doing my coaching badges and qualifications while I’m at Hull.

“And it’s a great experience working with Nigel Pearson who I know from my time at Newcastle.

“I can learn a lot from him. You always want to stay in football after life as a player and I’m no different, the game becomes part of your life.”

Solano used to provide the bullets for the likes of Big Al, Duncan Ferguson, Obafemi Martins and Shola Ameobi to name but a few.

But now he has dreams of returning one day in a different capacity.

He said: “As an aspiring coach you want to get a job anywhere and then prove yourself. But one day I would love to do it at Newcastle.

“It is my club and I always still look out for the results and come back to the city. It would be a great way to pass on what I have picked up from the game.”

Solano will be back on Tyneside on Tuesday, May 17 at the Lancastrian Suite and will be appearing alongside Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan.

For more details ring Players Inc on 0191 229 9631.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/04/06/nobby-solano-still-dreams-of-newcastle-return-72703-28469365/#ixzz1Ik9H28Kj

I don't think I've ever seen a player at Newcastle with as good a touch as Nobby like.

Remember his goal against Everton under Roeder. What a class act.

I don't think I've ever seen a player at Newcastle with as good a touch as Nobby like.

Was that the outside of the right curler ?

what a gaol

what a gaol

Aye, that's the one.

what a gaol

Aye, that's the one.

The build up to that goal was brilliant too, apart from the lay off like. But what a finish

Guest johnson293

Jeez, I obviously missed it, but didn't realise he was now playing for Hull.

Last I remembered he was on trial at Leicester last season.

Guest Stephen927

The end of his time here was quite sad to watch. Put in some good shifts at full back though.