Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Or you could look at it as a way to distract from him chopping up journalists and beheading Shias.

Does this really work? ‘Shush man, Newcastle are 2nd in the league’.

not alone but as part of a broader sportswashing strategy with other sporting events they've been hosting over there like boxing, golf and the Spanish Super Cup

I gave up on the club years ago because of Ashley.  A new owner could convince me to return, but not this one.  He's only interested in the club to improve his profile in the west, and judging by this thread, it'll work.

You’re well within you’re right to make that decision. Hopefully you’ll be able to find a non-league team to support so you can enjoy football again? Can imagine it being quite hard to continue posting on here amongst all the positive threads about Mbappe scoring the winning champions league final goal?

I'll just support Valladolid instead.

My love of sports has slowly been beaten out of me.  Its almost not worth it to follow my teams anymore.  Its not just their individual mismanagement and mediocre results as much as it is the total disregard of the fan.  It's disheartening and is more than just my slide into old age and cynicism.  Its never about sport anymore; just money and the fastest way to get it.

My love of sports has slowly been beaten out of me.  Its almost not worth it to follow my teams anymore.  Its not just their individual mismanagement and mediocre results as much as it is the total disregard of the fan.  It's disheartening and is more than just my slide into old age and cynicism.  Its never about sport anymore; just money and the fastest way to get it.

Indeed. It's why I look forward to the international tournaments more than anything in the calendar now, there remains a purity to them that, even taking into account the gross way FIFA go about staging them, once they begin those events are ultimately about the sporting glory most of all.

Indeed. It's why I look forward to the international tournaments more than anything in the calendar now, there remains a purity to them that, even taking into account the gross way FIFA go about staging them, once they begin those events are ultimately about the sporting glory most of all.

This, broadly. I really enjoy the NFL though because there is still a level of parity, although that's underpinned by a significant amount of exploitation of labour. It's also helped because I'm part of an NFL community here and it was always important to me that sporting teams are rooted in their community.

Lets aim to compete with the likes of AC Milan, Dortmond, Ajax, Athletico Madrid and most of all bring the fans back together under the banner of UNITED rather than have the piss taking out of us every year by Ashley and his yes men. 

While this isn't really the point of this thread (I would welcome our new space muslim overlords), I agree with this in general. Want our club to be successful, but would like it to be done in a professional, methodical manner, where we're not buying success for ridiculous money. Obviously huge money is going to be needed after the years of underinvestment, but wouldn't feel right signing Mbappe in the summer for £200m for example.

May have been mentioned but saudi money controls sheff utd doesn't it?

private individual compared to the literal saudi state as reports on this indicate

So do we know it is the literal Saudi state as opposed to private companies or individiuals on this one?

private individual compared to the literal saudi state as reports on this indicate

So do we know it is the literal Saudi state as opposed to private companies or individiuals on this one?

Well aye, it's reported it's the crown prince and his sovereign wealth fund behind this.

Guest neesy111

That's pretty well known it is, it's the saudi regimes sovereign wealth fund.

I'm still not 100% convinced on this personally. Sure they're not gonna just write Ashley a blank cheque but if they've decided they want the club, unlike pretty much every other buyer, they'd just get it fucking done.

Guest neesy111

I'm still not 100% convinced on this personally. Sure they're not gonna just write Ashley a blank cheque but if they've decided they want the club, unlike pretty much every other buyer, they'd just get it f***ing done.

Why?  Do you think because they've got billions then another £50m is a drop in the ocean for them?  Then you're wrong, this is an investment which means they will only pay what they think it's worth.  Rich people are tight cunts as well.

I'm still not 100% convinced on this personally. Sure they're not gonna just write Ashley a blank cheque but if they've decided they want the club, unlike pretty much every other buyer, they'd just get it f***ing done.

Why?  Do you think because they've got billions then another £50m is a drop in the ocean for them?  Then you're wrong, this is an investment which means they will only pay what they think it's worth.  Rich people are tight c***s as well.

They've got hundreds of billions in that fund. If they decided nufc was their sportswashing vehicle I think it'd just get done yeah.

Also I'm of the opinion money is likely not the issue, it'll be advertising and such.

• 2 months later...

If it happens we'll sure enough find out the courage in whatever convictions we have.

Personally I'm dead against them being owners in every way, but will probably end up being a hypocrite and backing down and watching matches. If ever give them any money to them though, you have permission to throw me off a building.

much like when this started I really don't know how I feel about this and probably won't until some footballs been played. On the one hand its good to finally have ashley on the verge of leaving, on the other the mob replacing him is one of the worst regimes on earth

SUCCESS AT ANY COST.

Your kids ?

A trophy gathering dust in a cabinet somewhere would still amount to more in life than any offspring that takes half its DNA from me, so I’m in, at least. :lol:

Missed this reply at the time.  :D

Guest Gazibaldi

While I'm not ignorant of the atrocities these people are responsible for, I'm in no way responsible for their actions and I won't feel guilty about supporting the club I've supported since 1990. I know that indirectly I'll be feeding the machine that allows these people to continue doing whatever it is that that they do (things we know about and things we don't), but if I shut myself off from any possible thing that involves anything considered unsavoury, I literally think I'd probably be living on the streets. Everything has ties in someone exploiting or harming another these days. We made the this bed as a species.

I'm hoping, at least a good investment into the city and the surrounding area (airport/infrastructure/transport links/jobs etc) can be made so at least the region can improve for the lives of the people I ultimately care for. Us.