Our Worst Manager Under Ashley

ChrisMcQuillan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bruce is a better manager than Carver, but it's a low, low bar.

Only reason I don’t mention Carver is he wasn’t a proper manager imo. Bruce has managed in the top 2 leagues for two decades. :lol:

What are you on about man sure he was the best manager in the Premier League at the time.

Pardew probably squeaks this on a personal level because he actually believed he was Jesus. Bruce is thundering up the inside though with his shit interviews, pathetic excuses and “boyhood club” patter. He’s Potentially the worst manager we’ve had technically however.

Voted Carver but what a depressing list.

I am still surprised that Mark Hughes hasn't been on our list of managers.

The only thing that worries me about Bruce getting the boot is who MA would appoint. Grim times!

Anyone voting Bruce over Carver has a short memory.

Carver was awful but wasn’t a manager imo and was only interim anyway.

Bruce on the other hand has came in after Benitez, should have had one of the easiest jobs just tweaking what came before him, has managed for over 20 years and is fucking shite.

You can’t really lump Carver in there, he was a caretaker manager. Probably saw it as his big chance to outshine Pardew but the damage had been done at that point. Even if he had the capability there was little he could have done.

He didn’t make his own signings or have any influence whatsoever in the overall running of things.

This is a straight shootout between Pardew, McClaren and Bruce.

For me, Pardew was dreadful, some real depressing spells in there. Total dross players he was allowed to sign.

But, he was also there when the club lucked into a couple of excellent signings and we had our best season with best football since SBR was here. So for that reason he can’t be the worst.

McClaren thought he spent well, we did too at first. Mitrovic looked like he had the tools to tear up the league, and maybe he would have if it was 1995 but football had moved on. You don’t use a blunt tool for what’s precision work nowadays.

But look at an average match day team that season, Mitrovic, Perez, Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Tiote, Coloccini, Janmaat, even Cisse was still there. There is no way that team should have gone down.

Although turgid, Steve Bruce is getting (slightly) more with less. We probably hate him more but that doesn’t make him the worst.

The winner is Steve McClaren.

Anyone voting Bruce over Carver has a short memory.

Carver was awful but wasn’t a manager imo and was only interim anyway.

Bruce on the other hand has came in after Benitez, should have had one of the easiest jobs just tweaking what came before him, has managed for over 20 years and is f***ing s****.

This. I can't take Carver seriously as our manager. In the job for 4-5 months.

Bruce and Pardew very close for me but each week, Bruce is getting worse and worse and I'm not even talking about results.

Worse thing is, he claims he is from up here and supposedly knows the club. But the way he has gone about telling the media about how us fans should be grateful and that this club is 'we are where we are', that is the ultimate piss-taking. Sounds more like a mackem than a Mag.

I thought McClaren had some good ideas when he first came in. He just kept losing and lost faith in his own methods.

I'd put him above Pardew and Bruce because at least there was some evidence of thought happening on the touchline.

Yep 👍

Pardew for me. He had the best players to work with, but for some fucked up reason he decided to switch things around and settling on whatever yielded the worst results. For example going from an attacking 4-3-3 to a slow predictable 4-4-2 (playing Sissoko/Gosling/Gouffran/Cisse on the wings instead of HBA etc).

I was always so disappointed to see the line-ups before games as there was so much potential going to waste.

He was also content with micro-budgets every transfer window as he knew he could use that as an excuse down the line. This, in a period where player prices were almost doubling every year. Clubs who invested heavily in that period could really go to the next level, but we were left with players like Amalfitiano and loanees.

Why is the king on there? 5th, 10th and sure we were about 9th in January when he was hounded out too? I know he sucked up to Ashley etc but on results and league finishes he shouldn't be anywhere near this list like.

Genuinely not sure how much credit he deserves for any of that. Maybe I'm being harsh but he had a really good team yet continuously went on 6/7 game losing (or not winning) streaks which means he comfortably deserves a spot on there imo.

That fucking kick off routine :anguish:

The fucking corners floated to Williamson man :lol: Sure we didn't score from like 200+ corners or something daft.