News filters through that Parky is backing Curbishley to save the Toon.

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Since the Addicks returned to the Premiership, Curbishley has made them a force to be reckoned with. No longer favourites for relegation, the club can now be considered as an established side in the upper echelon on English football.

That is down to Curbishley, and the way he has moulded a group of players without any real star names into an effective unit.

Curbishley always seems to be linked with a move to a bigger club, and his name was mentioned in conjunction with the vacant jobs at former clubs West Ham United in the summer of 2001 and then Aston Villa when John Gregory had walked.

The manager stayed loyal, although he must surely look for a new challenge in the not too distant future."

Kevin Keegan tipped Curbishley as a future England manager, and it was after his resignation that Curbs was asked to help out with the England set-up prior to Sven Goran Eriksson's appointment.

I have rated him for a long time and making Charlton into a solid PL outfit from perenial relegation candidates is no mean feat, especially with very little money and no star names.

Why'd you put a dead-beat like Bruce in there ?

That said, with Shepherd's record on managers....(shuddering at the thought of Bruce here...)

My feelings about Curbs is that he is a dwon to earth coaching based manager who loves to work with the players. I don't think pressure will be a problem for him. He is a strong communicator and has good 'in match tactical fixes'. People underrated him cause he hasn't had the big job. He is 10 times the manager McClaren is and look where he ended up.

Ericksson is a little too cautious for us I feel. Could be wrong.

Also an added bonus is that players like Zoggy and Taylor will gain immensely from working with Curbishley week in week out.

Guest thompers

Sven. Aside from the fact that he's a proven club manager, he's also watched hundreds of premiership games in the last few years, he should be good in the transfer market!

Guest Darth Toon

I think Curbishley would jump at the chance - he left Charlton because he wanted a fresh/bigger challenge - he's not realistically going to get a chance at one of the top 4 so we're probably about the best he could hope for.

Really not sure if he's the man to make a real difference though.

Sven would be a higher profile appointment, but comes with an associated media circus (and probably Beckham) which is the last thing we need at the moment.

Guest thompers

I'd be delighted if Beckham came. He'd still be a massive improvement on what we have, regardless of whether he plays well in an England team that's clearly gone downhill without him.

Would Parker be happy?

They had a little clash (IIRC) when he left for Chelsea, although that was probably written off next time they saw each other.

If true I'd hope he'd make a move for Young with Carr as part ex.

If there is one team worse than us this season its Charlton, who i think are destined to go down with Dowie.

"If there is one team worse than us this season its Charlton, who i think are destined to do down with Dowie." TT

Hightlights the work Curbs was doing there and I think people have seriously understimated how much weaker Charlton are without him.

"If there is one team worse than us this season its Charlton, who i think are destined to do down with Dowie." TT

Hightlights the work Curbs was doing there and I think people have seriously understimated how much weaker Charlton are without him.

True, but he also left behind a rather weak team.

Saying that, Dowie has been woeful in the players he's signed, and that hasn't helped. Smacks of desperation, knowing they were getting a worse manager in, so decided to throw money at him.

Guest Invicta_Toon

He really had been there too long and knew he had taken that set up as far as it could go imho.

You mean he had taken his football management abilities as far as they could go?  blueyes.gif

as if a man with the mentality of staying at a tin pot small time club for 15 years would suddenly become the kind of man who can handle the nuthouse that is NUFC  :roll:

Guest Invicta_Toon

That is just pure suposition Vic. His coaching credentials are not in doubt.

whereas as we all know you have the vision of a pre-cog, Parkster  bluelaugh.gif

Guest Invicta_Toon

Look you spent all yesterday pointing out how difficult it would be for us to attract a big name coach. I am making a case for a sensible and I feel gettable manager.

fiddling while Rome burns tbh  blueyes.gif