Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Roger Kint

Will be interesting to see the players reaction on sunday, no doubt a few of them are feeling a little bit let down.

Dear God

Strike  :lol:

When signing on, or signing new contracts, our top players would have been promised that we had ambition and goals to improve the squad year on year, this window says the exact opposite.

Please just stop ffs

The squad is weaker than the one that ended the season. A complete and utter failure from the board, but hardly suprising.

Not sure its weaker overall, just up front with backups. Big chance for vuckic, sammy, Campbell potentially

Exactly. The negativity is waaaayyyy over the top, it's ALMOST funny! :lol:

Almost as over the top as the people who say we haven't had a poor window.

Their resolute stubbornness is ALMOST funny.

I don't think we've had a poor window, because we haven't had a poor window... it's a simple as that. Our squad is stronger in defence (with Anita and Good's additions), and in midfield (Anita, Amalfitano, and Bigi). Up front is the debate but we certainly have players who can play there if neccessary.

It is disappointing that we didn't strengthen the starting 11, but it's certainly not a poor window... just an OK window.

We've signed 1 player who can start in the league.

We already have some though, they will make up the rest of the team.

You're going to have a long day, bro. A very long day.

The squad is weaker than the one that ended the season. A complete and utter failure from the board, but hardly suprising.

Not sure its weaker overall, just up front with backups. Big chance for vuckic, sammy, Campbell potentially

I don't think we've had a poor window, because we haven't had a poor window... it's a simple as that. Our squad is stronger in defence (with Anita and Good's additions), and in midfield (Anita, Amalfitano, and Bigi). Up front is the debate but we certainly have players who can play there if neccessary.

It is disappointing that we didn't strengthen the starting 11, but it's certainly not a poor window... just an OK window.

Don't worry, after about 4 I will be staying well away.

I'm worried about next summer though. We'd already be struggling to avoid bids for Cabaye, Tiote and Ben Arfa but the lack of Champions League qualification will confirm it. Now I'm sure we'd get great money for them but that doesn't matter - as fans it'd be awful to lose that caliber of player. I fear we've already reached the peak :(

Will be interesting to see the players reaction on sunday, no doubt a few of them are feeling a little bit let down.

Dear God

When signing on, or signing new contracts, our top players would have been promised that we had ambition and goals to improve the squad year on year, this window says the exact opposite.

Please just stop ffs

Great argument.

Don't worry, after about 4 I will be staying well away.

:thup: Good move. Leave Hindu to take the heat.

I'm worried about next summer though. We'd already be struggling to avoid bids for Cabaye, Tiote and Ben Arfa but the lack of Champions League qualification will confirm it. Now I'm sure we'd get great money for them but that doesn't matter - as fans it'd be awful to lose that caliber of player. I fear we've already reached the peak :(

Thats my fear as well, seeing that it seems mike cba to push on for CL, what happens if we dont get near even the EL again next year?

Absolutely detest wanting players in being described as "negativity".

It's the complete opposite of that, it's wanting the team to improve. Hindu, you're always saying "I just like watching us play" - so why offer views on the window if you're actually not that bothered about us pushing on? That's as negative a view as you can have IMO.

Personally I like watching us win more than play.

Dear God

Please just stop ffs

Well that's Cabaye gone later this evening. Transfer request imminent  :shifty:

Guest neesy111

I'm pretty sure those players who worked their socks of last season would have expected some ambition from the club to push the club further and to allow the club to compete at all levels.  Standing still in football means going backwards in real terms especially in the premiership which evolves each and every year.

Ha, we're now worrying about NEXT summer?

That is just golden. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's the complete opposite of that, it's wanting the team to improve. Hindu, you're always saying "I just like watching us play" - so why offer views on the window if you're actually not that bothered about us pushing on? That's as negative a view as you can have IMO.

Everyone wants players in.

FWIW we won rather a lot with our current team.

Guest Roger Kint

Dear God

Please just stop ffs

Great argument.

There wasnt a need for one, you are acting like Ashley has kidnapped their kids not failed to add a few players. Of course they wont be a negative reaction from the players.

I'm pretty sure those players who worked their socks of last season would have expected some ambition from the club to push the club further and to allow the club to compete at all levels.  Standing still in football means going backwards in real terms especially in the premiership which evolves each and every year.

Exactly, they will dissapointed with the lack of activity.

Dear God

Please just stop ffs

Great argument.

There wasnt a need for one, you are acting like Ashley has kidnapped their kids not failed to add a few players. Of course they wont be a negative reaction from the players.

So if you have been promised ambition by the club to sign on, and got nothing in return in the end you would be happy?

Guest Roger Kint

Aye just like last summer when we failed to replace Carroll and that excuse was no doubt laughably used then only for us to go unbeaten for 11 games or whatever.........

Ha, we're now worrying about NEXT summer?

That is just golden. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well yeah, of course. I'm thinking medium-to-long term plans for the club, I don't think what I've said is untrue at all.

Big opportunity missed.

There is a lot of this sentiment but whats the opportunity? To consolidate 5th? To break the top four (3 places are almost certainly gone)?  I'm not saying its not frustrating, or that the board haven't pulled their finger out but you get the feeling that everyone would have been reasonably satisfied had the Debuchy deal gone through. Whilst we may have been easier on the eye i'm not sure the substantive difference (i.e. European Qualification domestic cup success, Domestic League Place) any additions would have guaranteed.

The main concern for me is still cover at centre back and more generally cover in the squad. But even if players had been bought for these roles I doubt they would have had the necessary wow factor to placate fans.

Disappointing window but hardly the end of the world.

excellent summation

Guest neesy111

That was last season though.  It's a new season, different challenges, expectations and all of our competitors have improved.

I'll keep going back to 03/04 as that was the last time we has such a bad transfer window and we went backwards in droves that season.  Not saying the repeat will happen, but we should learning of our past.

Aye just like last summer when we failed to replace Carroll and that excuse was no doubt laughably used then only for us to go unbeaten for 11 games or whatever.........

We signed Ba.

That was last season though.  It's a new season, different challenges, expectations and all of our competitors have improved.

I'll keep going back to 03/04 as that was the last time we has such a bad transfer window and we went backwards in droves that season.  Not saying the repeat will happen, but we should learning of our past.

We dropped two places and came within a couple of games of champions league football again.

Yes we did which is why everyone else is trying to improve their squads but we've not bothered.

What's an acceptable league finish to you? If it's lower than fifth then of choose you'll be happy with the window because you're comfortable with us being worse off. That's fine. But why do you have such a problem with those who want us to be better?

I'm not sure I really believe that, we seem to have a good team spirit. Some of them even hung around following relegation.

Some would have liked signings- sure Cabaye would have loved to see Debuchy arrive. Some not so much - I'm sure Simpson is happy he hasn't.

Guest Roger Kint

We signed Ba.

So the club and manager never once made any reference to the fact we would reinvest the Carroll money for another striker to replace him? Ba isnt an answer ffs considering that Cisse was the eventual replacement.