Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Much as Manchester City’s Middle Eastern backers have done in the eastern part of that city, the Saudis could invest in broader regeneration in Newcastle, showing their benevolence, leveraging some cultural capital and further burnishing their image – which, let’s not forget, is an all-important consideration in the deal.

So while Newcastle's Toon Army and the House of Saud may seem unlikely bedfellows, they offer exactly what the other side needs. Through the takeover on Tyneside, the stage is being prepared for an unlikely union, but one which could shake the top of the footballing tree.   

*the Russians know the score*

Let’s get the top of that football tree fu#%ing shaking.

Why are people up in arms about NUST?

They have demonstrated they can be trusted to have a dialogue and not “fish for likes” by plastering it all over the internet.

I might not matter too much to the PL but you can bet the new owners will take note of this when it comes to including them in the future.

Was just going to say the same thing, (without the video).

Some fucker even intimated Greg was looking for attention. :lol:

Richard Master's literally wrote to the legal counsel acting for Hetiz Cengiz complaining their correspondence had been leak into the media.

If we never want to speak to them again, and not use this as an opportunity to build some sort of dialogue with the CEO of the Premier League beyond the takeover e.g. on other matters, then we could throw it all away for some likes on Twitter.

But that would be very stupid.

By the same token, to play devil's advocate, do you see why making a point of saying you'll keep it private has got the seagulls flapping their wings?

I'd argue just saying he acknowledged the letter would have been suffice. The second you talk about 'keeping it private' it gives a connotation that there is vital information being shared.

Fairly sure that's exactly what happened, only the 'private' comment was later in response to people wanting to know what the letter said.

Absolutely right they keep it private AND I'm pleased they told us it happened.

Richard Master's literally wrote to the legal counsel acting for Hetiz Cengiz complaining their correspondence had been leak into the media.

If we never want to speak to them again, and not use this as an opportunity to build some sort of dialogue with the CEO of the Premier League beyond the takeover e.g. on other matters, then we could throw it all away for some likes on Twitter.

By the same token, to play devil's advocate, do you see why making a point of saying you'll keep it private has got the seagulls flapping their wings?

I'd argue just saying he acknowledged the letter would have been suffice. The second you talk about 'keeping it private' it gives a connotation that there is vital information being shared.

Fairly sure that's exactly what happened, only the 'private' comment was later in response to people wanting to know what the letter said.

Absolutely right they keep it private AND I'm pleased they told us it happened.

Agree entirely, NUST will be a massively useful organisation to us all (even those who don't 'like' them . . ) going forward. Well done them.

It's just the way we share information these days. I know something but if I tell you it becomes false, so I won't tell you. But if I told you nothing at all I wouldn't get any recognition for not telling you anything.

Guest The Little Waster

Going forward will NUST say anything when Yemen gets bombed or the House of Saud indulges in some other human rights abuse ?

Going forward will NUST say anything when Yemen gets bombed or the House of Saud indulges in some other human rights abuse ?

Groundhog Day. Same rubbish each day typed slightly differently, some people must be so bored.

I’m assuming not, and why should they? A supporters trust shouldn’t get involved in anything that isn’t directly related to the club, surely?

Playing footie manager

More likely he is updating his death list, reading reports about the spread of wahabism and looking at pictures of dead yemeni children, the fucking cunt.

I was thinking we were past time for human rights record to come up again, feels like it's been a good few weeks

I thought she wrote another letter just last week?!

No, I mean on here. A while since the thread has been down that path.

No they’ll just concentrate on matters that affect the football club I would think.

Guest awaymag

No they’ll just concentrate on matters that affect the football club I would think.

Whoa there, don't set our goals so low.  NUFC can use it influence to right all the wrongs of the world.  Move aside UN, Nato, just direct your problems towards NUFC and we will sort it for you.......

Whoa there, don't set our goals so low.  NUFC can use it influence to right all the wrongs of the world.  Move aside UN, Nato, just direct your problems towards NUFC and we will sort it for you.......

Nations

United

For

Calm

Nations

United

For

Cans

Unfortunately, we're all guilty of turning a blind eye when convenient. Sweat shops that exploit children make your trainers and tech goods.

After 13 years of abuse, I can understand why the moral compasses of many are comprised.

Guest chopey

The glamorisation by some of our fans to MBS and SA is fucking disgusting.

It's almost like, the majority of football supporters are a bit thick.

I think that's harsh, a lot of fans of Newcastle have been starved of success for generations and they see all these clubs getting taken over and ran properly with a bit of ambition, the fact that they are getting rid of Ashley is celebrated more than the new owners, its not as though the Saudis are going to make the Toon Army (hate that phrase) take up arms and bomb Yemen. The investment arm of Saudi and the State of Saudi can be separate entities.

Actually quite good to see the media move behind giving the league a kick up the arse for the way they’ve treated us as fans.

They’ve come out of this looking absolutely weak as p*ss. BeIN shouldn’t have had half the say and influence they have done and these tests have been wrongly used as moral rather than financial checks.

I think the premier league have boxed themselves into a corner with this decision. They’ve huge political pressure to deny the saudis but I think they know that Ashley/PIF will rinse them in court should they bow to said pressure.

Definitely not a moral check been carried out that's for sure, or this was dead in the water the moment it was put forward.

They've prioritised their IP and money seemingly, hardly a shock.

In my view the problem Masters has is that last time the rules were updated they didn't foresee a situation like this where there would be a potential takeover which by all accounts is unpopular with a lot of member clubs (boohoo) and more importantly one of the league's biggest sponsors. He surely wants to reject it but there's no written rule saying that takeovers can be vetoed by a broadcasting partner. So they'll keep digging away with the piracy until  either they've got enough to reject or time itself has cone to an end.

But yes, even he knows that rightly or wrongly the PL can't reject on moral grounds

Other way round in my eyes. They (the PL and the Government) want it but KSA are in breech of conditions in the test which, if they are put right, even if its just a facade, will be enough to pass it.

Saudi Arabia seem to be modernising and hopefully becoming more open to the rest of the world and with their 2030 thing, the more focus on the country will lead to some positive change. They aren't going to receive praise from me, but I'm not going to be expressing outrage at every possible opportunity when most of the people demanding it said absolutely nothing about Saudi Arabia pre-election in December.

I’m assuming not, and why should they? A supporters trust shouldn’t get involved in anything that isn’t directly related to the club, surely?

Surely murders carried out by Newcastle's owner are directly related to the club?

This is one of the unavoidable problems the takeover gives us.  The actions of the Saudi government have an effect on Newcastle now.  We've seen this already, where because of the actions of the Saudi government we've been stuck in takeover limbo for months.  You could say middle eastern TV piracy has nothing to do with Newcastle, but it's had very real implications for where we are as a club, what our current squad looks like and probably even our league position.

The contracts of workers in sportswear warehouses doesn't on the surface have anything to do with Newcastle, but rulings and public perception about that may have ended up having influence on how our current owner views the importance of Newcastle as an asset and in terms of how much of his time and attention it deserves.  That's why at times we've been sat on a Newcastle forum, in the football section, watching people appearing before select committees on BBC Parliament.