FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

Would be great if the Americans in here can give us some background on how this is going down and who has what powers etc...

What sort of things specifically are you curious about?

For instance how serious are they to push for real punishment?

The DOJ's conviction rate is like 93%, the only way people will get out of serious punishment is by informing the investigation. I really don't see anyway Blatter remains president by the time this is over.

This is also a good point. The DOJ basically never brings these charges unless they're sure they have you cold. Basically everyone takes a plea bargain because they threaten you with dozens of years of prison otherwise.

Thanks all that sounds good. Wow! At last some good news in the world of football.

Would be great if the Americans in here can give us some background on how this is going down and who has what powers etc...

What sort of things specifically are you curious about?

For instance how serious are they to push for real punishment?

I would guess very serious. The Obama administration in general has been pretty hawkish on foreign entities engaging in corrupt practices on US soil/in connection with the US market. The amount of time and effort DOJ have put into this case indicate that they're out for blood.

The indictment states that each of these guys could face 20 years+ on some combination of RICO charges, money laundering, wire fraud, tax evasion, and bribery (with bonus points for criminal conspiracy.)  Just based off what I've seen, that level of sentencing don't seem outlandish at all if they don't cooperate.

Realistically, most will probably work out some kind of plea deal in which they agree not to defend themselves and also provide information in exchange for less serious charges.  This is why I'm holding out some hope that the US authorities will work their way even higher up the FIFA totem pole.

The one wrinkle in this is probably extradition. I'm not aware of where these people are at the moment and how many of them are already in American hands. Depending on where they're holed up and what sort of treaty the US has with those countries extradition may take a significant amount of time.

Most were arrested in Switzerland, who have a very open extradition agreement with the US. I read somewhere that they're probably already shipped to America by now. :lol:

Few days in some black site deep in the woods and they'll give up their own mothers. :)

I feel like this is the one time that waterboarding is definitely justified.

Perhaps even the water brick. :lol:

Don't think that the English FA aren't behind this in some way either btw.

I think that bid team with Beckham, the Princes et al was f***ing furious after the outcome and from that point on I imagine they plotted their revenge.

I'd say it's nailed on that British Intelligence has played a role in this somewhere.

:lol:

"Sir, Sir! We've recieved intelligence that ISIS are planning a terrorist attack on Haymarket bus station!"

"Looka son, I've telt yi once, I've telt yi twice, aal w resources are gannin on bringin' doon the bastards that railedroaded the 2018 bid, Davey B's fuckin' foamin' y'kna"

:lol: :lol:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/05/27/world/americas/ap-soc-fifa-raids-trinidad.html?_r=0

PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad — An arrest warrant was issued Wednesday for former FIFA vice president Jack Warner at the request of authorities in the United States, where he was one of 14 people linked to international soccer indicted on corruption charges.

The Attorney General for Trinidad and Tobago said it had been working with the U.S. Department of Justice for about a year regarding the investigation of Warner, who was forced out of FIFA in 2011 over a bribery scandal.

Warner, who is an opposition member of Parliament in the twin-island nation, can be extradited to the U.S. under a bilateral treaty following a hearing.

Looks like they had all they had all the extradition stuff pre-planned before they went public too. So badass :megusta:

I just love how they waited for them to be nicely bunched together in Switzerland before rounding them up. Yanks are efficient.

I can't remember the last time I was in such a good mood reading the football forum :lol:

Is Prince Al Bin Al-Hussein really the sort of person we need to take over from Sepp Blatter, seems like it's more of the same to me. Fifa need the fumigators in, smoke the whole nest of vipers out and start again.

Racist

I just love how they waited for them to be nicely bunched together in Switzerland before rounding them up. Yanks are efficient.

I can't remember the last time I was in such a good mood reading the football forum :lol:

I do. :blush:

Nah man, escaping relegation wasn't that big of a deal O0

Lennart Johansson, former president of UEFA and honorary member of FIFA, have been interviewed in a Swedish paper today. Comes out with some pretty damning words on Blatter.

"Blatter will make sure he wins the election in the same way he always has. It's a shame that the worlds biggest sporting organisation has a leader like that. That's my opinion."

When asked whether he has known about corruption and money laundering: "I know that money was thrown around here and there for the 1998 election. Without that, Blatter would not have been elected. But he knows how to deal with these things, and he's never been prosecuted or anything has been proven. But I know what happened in 98."

When asked that Blatter denies any involvement or knowledge: "It'd be the first time the president of an organisation doesn't know anything. He knows about everything else at FIFA, why not this?"

He then goes on to say that England should host the 2018 WC, because Russia should be stripped off it and England are best suited for it, and that the Qatar WC should be up for a new vote.

He seems fairly certain that the two WCs will be up for debate like.

Lennart Johansson, former president of UEFA and honorary member of FIFA, have been interviewed in a Swedish paper today. Comes out with some pretty damning words on Blatter.

"Blatter will make sure he wins the election in the same way he always has. It's a shame that the worlds biggest sporting organisation has a leader like that. That's my opinion."

When asked whether he has known about corruption and money laundering: "I know that money was thrown around here and there for the 1998 election. Without that, Blatter would not have been elected. But he knows how to deal with these things, and he's never been prosecuted or anything has been proven. But I know what happened in 98."

When asked that Blatter denies any involvement or knowledge: "It'd be the first time the president of an organisation doesn't know anything. He knows about everything else at FIFA, why not this?"

He then goes on to say that England should host the 2018 WC, because Russia should be stripped off it and England are best suited for it, and that the Qatar WC should be up for a new vote.

He seems fairly certain that the two WCs will be up for debate like.

They certainly fucking oughta be.