The unpopular football opinion thread

Deuce

Guest Howaythetoon

I think he has the makings of a top player, but he is playing as if he’s been playing too much football at the WC and it’s catching up with him. Hopefully a big big performance from him today if he plays.

It's gone a bit too over-the-top. I can't get on transport, go to a shop or walk past reception at work without someone shouting it.

Was at Honest Burger the other night and some bloke stuck his head through the window and started screaming it.

That's more what I'm on about in fairness. The stuff on the internet has been good craic; but folks just randomly belching it down your earhole I can live without.

It's gone a bit too over-the-top. I can't get on transport, go to a shop or walk past reception at work without someone shouting it.

Was at Honest Burger the other night and some bloke stuck his head through the window and started screaming it.

That's more what I'm on about in fairness. The stuff on the internet has been good craic; but folks just randomly belching it down your earhole I can live without.

It's the blatant disregard for the actual chorus that annoys me tbh: 'Three lions on the shirt, Jules Rimet still gleaming...' etc thrown by the wayside!

• 4 months later...
Guest firetotheworks

Maybe not that unpopular on here, but I think if you either swapped the situations in which their careers panned out, or made those situations the same and then compared them solely on their overall football ability and the consistency of that ability, Iniesta was better than Zidane.

Maybe not that unpopular on here, but I think if you either swapped the situations in which their careers panned out, or made those situations the same and then compared them solely on their overall football ability and the consistency of that ability, Iniesta was better than Zidane.

So difficult to say, Iniesta is out of this world. Probably underrated when people are talking about the best players ever. But Zidane was Zidane, so hard to be sure :lol:

Been lucky to see them both for sure.

Guest firetotheworks

Zidane's probably got the more graceful technique, but I don't think his ability's better than Iniesta's like.

I just thought it was an interesting idea because there are some parallels in their achievements and influence, but Iniesta doesn't get anywhere near the level of adulation that Zidane does. I think if Iniesta was plonked in a team where he stands out as far and away the best player in the team like Zidane was with Juve, Real Madrid, and France, and you put Zidane in a team where he isn't the best player because Messi's there or in the 08-12 Spain team where everyone's exceptional, the perceptions would maybe be different.

I think it just comes down to Zidane being a bigger character and a leader. I love Iniesta but if I'd have to pick either for my team I'd choose Zidane on that basis alone. Also the fact that he consistently delivered the goods for Bordeaux, Juve, Real and France (in two different eras) while Iniesta of course only played for Barca and Spain and enjoyed huge amounts of success with a similar core of players around him with both.

For sure, when you actually watch Iniesta dedicated highlights what he can do is incredible.

Slightly different to Zidane as well though, much more of a dribbler. And obviosuly his telepathic relationship with Xavi and Messi helped him a lot.

I love watching Zidane taking players on. Insane ability to just drive the ball wherever he wanted. Didn't matter what was in his way, he'd flick it over their head with perfect precision, run round them and catch it on the other end with perfect control. Those signature "Zidane-roulettes" at the speed he did them.

Very hard to choose between their styles. Iniesta's close control could put half a team on their arses and his passing could completely bypas the other half. Zidane could just put his foot down and power through a midfield like nobody else existed and play a pass that the defenders couldn't even dream was possible. Then to top that all off, they could both probably play in the same way as the other one and be just as good.

Guest firetotheworks

No one think that if you put Zidane in the Barca and Spain teams, and Iniesta in the Juve, Real Madrid, and France teams, that the perception of them would be swapped?

The more I think about it the more I think Iniesta isn't viewed in the same way as Zidane because he was surrounded by some of the greatest players of all time and therefore didn't get the same amount of attention as Zidane, who despite playing with some outstanding players, stood out more by comparison.

I can't say I know much about it but my gf's dad says the same about Garrincha and how he'd get more credit if Pele hadn't taken all the attention.