The unpopular football opinion thread

Deuce

I don't mind Fat Sam as a manager and was disappointed when he got himself sacked off the England job. I view England as the Stoke of world football and I think we need an appropriate manager. I was even a bit disappointed when he got sacked at Newcastle, but obviously over the moon when we got Keegan in.

Glad someone mentioned Big Sam first :lol: Yeah, I was one of the few who was a bit gutted when Ashley sacked him. Was happy when he came in from Bolton and - ok we lost to Derby - but we weren't in particularly bad form.

Let's start a support group, #MeToo :lol:

Well I thought at the time the sacking was a little premature, and was very impressed with his first press conference and of course starting the season with good away win. I wonder where we would be now if Ashley had realised how much of a perfect fit the Fat headed git is for his idea of how to run a football club.

Can't wholly remember (only real memory of Allardyce as our manager was the toxicity of the atmosphere in the 0-3 humping at SJP off Liverpool) but my dad absolutely hated him to the point of jacking the season ticket when he was appointed. Bought a half season ticket after Keegan's appointment, mind. :lol:

Most people were actually fairly disappointed when he was dismissed, including me (check the thread on here). Fog cleared once I saw the tune Keegan ended up getting out of the same players.

I don't mind Fat Sam as a manager and was disappointed when he got himself sacked off the England job. I view England as the Stoke of world football and I think we need an appropriate manager. I was even a bit disappointed when he got sacked at Newcastle, but obviously over the moon when we got Keegan in.

Glad someone mentioned Big Sam first :lol: Yeah, I was one of the few who was a bit gutted when Ashley sacked him. Was happy when he came in from Bolton and - ok we lost to Derby - but we weren't in particularly bad form.

Which was their only win that entire season. The worst PL side in history; finishing bottom with 11 points. 4 of those points taken from Allardyce's NUFC.

I remember thinking we'd have a decent season after beating Bolton on the opening day 3-1 and Oba scored that funky overhead kick. I think we were unbeaten until Kenny Miller lasered that shot over Harper. Oh well.

"We're shit and we're sick of it" was the song the fans sung during Allardyce's time at NUFC. He bought a lot of passed it players too.

I suppose this is the "unpopular opinion" thread so keep up the good work fellas.

Just the way it was at the time.

https://www.newcastle-online.org/forum/index.php?topic=48631.0

Some belting quotes for McClaren in there :lol:

If Steve McClaren is appointed it will be the end of Newcastle Utd

if it's fuckin MacClown i'll fuckin go and support Amble Town.

If its MaClaren there will be a riot surely.

If only we knew what lay a decade ahead and we'd give him 80mil :lol:

Is that an unpopular opinion? I bloody hope not.

That bloke posted the other day filming himself for the entire Chelsea game was worse like, what a cringe.

I was under the impression that the popular opinion was that it's utter shite :lol:

Guess not.

"We're s*** and we're sick of it" was the song the fans sung during Allardyce's time at NUFC. He bought a lot of passed it players too.

I suppose this is the "unpopular opinion" thread so keep up the good work fellas.

That list. :lol:

Latest favourites from oddschecker

1. Harry Redknapp

2. Mark Hughes       

3. Kevin Keegan       

4. Martin Jol       

5. Alan Shearer     

6. Gerard Houllier       

7. Jose Mourinho       

8. Nigel Pearson         

9. Ottmar Hitzfeld       

10. Steve McClaren   

"We're s*** and we're sick of it" was the song the fans sung during Allardyce's time at NUFC. He bought a lot of passed it players too.

1. Harry Redknapp

2. Mark Hughes       

3. Kevin Keegan       

4. Martin Jol       

5. Alan Shearer     

6. Gerard Houllier       

7. Jose Mourinho       

8. Nigel Pearson         

9. Ottmar Hitzfeld       

10. Steve McClaren   

It was super-close to being Redknapp until he decided his dogs would get too homesick.

1. Harry Redknapp

2. Mark Hughes       

3. Kevin Keegan       

4. Martin Jol       

5. Alan Shearer     

6. Gerard Houllier       

7. Jose Mourinho       

8. Nigel Pearson         

9. Ottmar Hitzfeld       

10. Steve McClaren   

It was super-close to being Redknapp until he decided his dogs would get too homesick.

Redknapp laid the foundations for Poch, when Harry met Levy was the sliding doors moment for Newcastle and Tottenham.

Redknapp laid the foundations for Poch, when Harry met Levy was the sliding doors moment for Newcastle and Tottenham.

That's obviously not particularly true. The different trajectories of the two clubs since that time are entirely due to Ashley's ownership of NUFC - and by contrast, Levy's savvy but ambitious operating of Spurs.

The managerial appointments are mere footnotes.

• 5 weeks later...

Lewandowski is overrated now, carrying over from his Dortmund days

Aye he scores like 60 goals in a Munich side that piss the league anyway

5 in CL last season vs Anderlecht x2, Besiktas x2, PSG (1 of 5 against "top" sides)

8 in the CL 16/17 - vs Rostov, PSV x3, Atletico, Arsenal x2, Real Madrid (2 of 8 against top sides)

9 in the CL 15/16 - Dinamo Zagreb x5, Arsenal, Olympiakos, Juventus, Atletico (2 of 9 against top sides)

I'm not sure those stats are really backing up your point very well. I see that he has 22 CL goals over the past three years, that he has scored against PSG, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, and Juventus, in addition to scoring plenty against everyone else.

He's quite clearly a world-class striker.