The unpopular football opinion thread

Deuce

I think if Hazard was at Bayern he'd transform to the next step and he'd be in the top 5 no question, can't really see that happening for him anywhere else for  a while yet though. Other than Bayern I think Chelsea are the next best team for him in terms of showing his skill, getting a share of media/public attention and to win trophies at.

Would he get to play as much and be the top dog like he is for big parts at Chelsea? I mean Robben, Ribery and Muller are all better players IMO. I just don't think Hazard is THAT good, because I've seen him disappear more times than the others do. He's an excellent player and might one day be a top 3 player, but for me he's not a top 10 at the moment.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

He's definitely in the top 10. His overall stats put him amongst the best in the league and if he had a free role like at Lille he would be getting more goals and assists to show for his form this season.

He's definitely in the top 10. His overall stats put him amongst the best in the league and if he had a free role like at Lille he would be getting more goals and assists to show for his form this season.

Enlighten me how he's definitely in the top 10.

Neuer, Fabregas, Ribery, Robben, Muller, Neymar, Messi, Suarez, Aguero, Zlatan, Cristiano are all in my opinion better players. So not sure I agree he's definitely in the top 10. I understand there is a case to put him above some players, but we can't go on what he would be in another role. Because for Belgium he has more of a free role on the left where he doesn't really need to track back and he's outshone by De Bruyne most of the times who both tracks back and does more offensively.

I like Hazard and think he's an absolute fantastic player, but IMO he's not a top 10 in the world. Even forgot Di Maria and Kroos in that list.

Hazard is one of the best in the world, for sure. In a way, I sometimes think he's underrated - when naming #3 after Messi/Ronaldo he never gets mentioned.

I'd still probably put Aguero, Suarez or Bale there, but Hazard's in the mix.

Absolutely no way he's behind Bale like.

In what way is he better? Even this season where Bale has come in for some criticism, he's still the more effective player.

Neuer, Fabregas, Ribery, Robben, Muller, Neymar, Messi, Suarez, Aguero, Zlatan, Cristiano are all in my opinion better players. So not sure I agree he's definitely in the top 10. I understand there is a case to put him above some players, but we can't go on what he would be in another role. Because for Belgium he has more of a free role on the left where he doesn't really need to track back and he's outshone by De Bruyne most of the times who both tracks back and does more offensively.

I like Hazard and think he's an absolute fantastic player, but IMO he's not a top 10 in the world. Even forgot Di Maria and Kroos in that list.

He's done nothing to suggest he's better than Bale. Likewise Reus. Alexis Sanchez scored more goals last season, was better in the WC and is doing better in the league too. And these are just players who play similar roles. As a player I rate Modric higher.

There's always a player who essentially proves himself in the PL and we rush to anoint them #3. It happened when Rooney had that season. Bale a couple years back. Last year with Suarez. It was beginning to happen with Aguero before his injury. They would do it with Sanchez but he's already been at a higher level.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

I'll repeat it again if you're going to consider him as a striker then he'll definitely not figure in a top 10. However if I consider him as a conventional winger then yes he has been really good. Also I'm talking for only this season so forget the WC etc...

I'll repeat it again if you're going to consider him as a striker then he'll definitely not figure in a top 10. However if I consider him as a conventional winger then yes he has been really good. Also I'm talking for only this season so forget the WC etc...

I don't consider him a striker, where have I said that? Even on this season purely I don't see him as a top 10 player.

Jordan Henderson is hella over-rated.

Goes missing more than any other player I can remember. Lost track of the amount of times that he  pops up after 35 minutes and does something and I go "oh yeah, Henderson plays tonight".

Hazard is one of the best in the world, for sure. In a way, I sometimes think he's underrated - when naming #3 after Messi/Ronaldo he never gets mentioned.

In what way is he better? Even this season where Bale has come in for some criticism, he's still the more effective player.

In the way that he's been substantially more effective for Chelsea than Bale has been for Real in the past 18 months.

Also the way he has produced better performances.

Not to say the fact he has looked like more of a match-winner.

In the way that he's been substantially more effective for Chelsea than Bale has been for Real in the past 18 months.

Also the way he has produced better performances.

Not to say the fact he has looked like more of a match-winner.

That's not true though is it. Hazard has 31 goals & 14 assists in 85 games from the beginning of last season. Bale has 36 goals & 22 assists in 77. Less games, more goals and assists. He also doesn't take the majority of penalties for his team either. Clearly Bale has been more effective, let alone "substantially" less effective - which is a ludicrous statement.

The match-winner stuff is crazy too when Bale scored crucial goals in  helping Real win trophies. the Barca goal in particular was brilliant. Real stuffed a fair few teams in the CL last season but Bale was simply magnificent throughout.

Bale has been a 1 in 2 scorer for the past 3 seasons. Hazard is still 1 in 3. Takes all Chelsea's penalties and has scored maybe 2 league goals away all season.

To say Hazard is better and more effective than Bale is just not true. Hazard is yet to top Bale's last Spurs season let alone the big game match winners of last season.

Also there's more to effectiveness than just goals and assists. Otherwise Zidane and Iniesta were never effective.

Hazard is more gifted than Bale, that is quite clear. He does multiple things which impact a game which makes those around him better and makes him more dangerous.

You don't see teams triple team Bale like PSG did Hazard, he still has to prove it on the biggest stage but he clearly has all the tools required to be much better.

This debate reminds me of the Neymar and Bale debate from a couple of years ago, I always believed in Neymar's superior ability and eventually I believe Hazard will clearly be considered the better player.

Love watching Gareth Bale as well.

Don't like goal line technology.

Never really understood why there aren't more players at the top level who can take an absolutely giant throw in. Not that difficult trait to train up but can be a really effective asset for any team. Of course watching Stoke under Pulis was pure aids where their game plan was only throw ins but still. Every team should have at least one player who can launch a gigantic throw in.