The unpopular football opinion thread

Deuce

That Nani sending off last season, was the correct decision.

Agree. No difference between it or the Van Bommel one in the World Cup final where Manchester United superfan Howard Webb didn't send him off.

De Jong billy

My mistake.:-*

It's gonna be interesting to see how some of the shite Man U play in midfield do without Fergie this season. My bet is they'll suck donkey balls and suddenly Cabaye to Man Utd doesn't look such a stretch.

If Moyes can get Gibson and Osman playing top football I'm sure he'll manage with Carrick and Cleverley.

It's gonna be interesting to see how some of the shite Man U play in midfield do without Fergie this season. My bet is they'll suck donkey balls and suddenly Cabaye to Man Utd doesn't look such a stretch.

If Moyes can get Gibson and Osman playing top football I'm sure he'll manage with Carrick and Cleverley.

Not so sure about Cleverley, considering Osman is superior.

Not so sure about Cleverley, considering Osman is superior.

Debatable.

Not in my mind. Osman is quite simply a better footballer.

Tom Cleverley would not look at all out of place at a side like Fulham, for example. You'd think, oh, he's alright. Absolutely classic example of a player being overrated because he plays for Man Utd, or a team like Man Utd.

If he improves drastically over the coming few years then fair play and I'll happily say he has become a quality player but until then he'll offer little to a team with genuine title aspirations. He's just not very good.

Not in my mind. Osman is quite simply a better footballer.

Tom Cleverley would not look at all out of place at a side like Fulham, for example. You'd think, oh, he's alright. Absolutely classic example of a player being overrated because he plays for Man Utd, or a team like Man Utd.

I seen a lot of people (from other clubs) that think like that but honestly everyone at our club rates Cleverley very highly. He's a very quick thinker and always plays a smart pass and he's full of hustle and bustle as well. He came on leaps and bounds last season and we're expecting him to raise his game even further this year. He is only 23 remember which is relatively young for a central midfielder.

Osman had the better season last year but I think they're very similar in regards to ability. Osman has probably reached his peak and could start to decline soon, whereas Cleverley will get better and better for years to come yet.

I would rather have Tom Cleverley on my team to be honest.

Moving the goalposts a bit though there mate. Of course from a long-term point of view you'd want Cleverley there. But Osman currently, and has been, the better footballer for a good couple of years now, so my point was very much based on the present, and, IMO, the false perceptions of Cleverley's footballing ability due to what club he plays for.

He may well raise his game this year, you'd certainly expect him to. I just think you're fucked if Moyes sees him as a regular starter/playing the vast majority of games. Don't see enough in him currently, simple as that. Also think it perfectly illustrates where England are if players like Cleverley are generally seen as "the future".

Oh, I think it's fair also to point out I actually was a fan of his at first. Thought his loan spell at Watford was extremely encouraging and I was expecting big things. Just been disappointing since then I reckon. Time on his side and all that.

I guess that's just where we'll have to agree to disagree. I already rate him highly and think he's already a very good footballer and progressing at a very good rate considering he only broke into our squad under two years ago.

It's kind of the same situation as Carrick where opposing fans didn't rate him that highly during his first few years with us and consistently said he wasn't good enough to be starting for Manchester United. Now everybody sees him as the best or one of the best midfielders in the league.

I would love us to sign Fabregas for obvious reasons, but I see Carrick and Cleverley as a good central partnership. It's going beyond those two that's the problem. Anderson and Giggs are next and I don't believe they are good enough.

---------------------------------

Since we're in the unpopular thread here's another from me: I think Ole Solskjaer is arguably the best finisher we've had at the club since the Premier League began.

Cleverley is just not very good.

Carrick. Cleverley. Anderson. Giggs. Jones. Fletcher.

A considerable blindspot left behind by Fergie when he said he wanted to leave them in the best possible position. It was alright when Fergie was there and he drew performances out of each and every player and had a such a well oiled machine that just about anybody could step in and look good. The weakness of this area is going to become far more glaring under moylez.

I want there to be a full challenge system in the premier league like there is in NFL and cricket. I'm not bothered about it 'slowing the game down'. I'd rather wait an extra 30 seconds and get the correct decision. The league is skewed in favour of the rich teams far too much as it is without them being awarded countless dubious decisions over the course of the season and people talking about things evening themselves out.

Guest icemanblue

Technically, he's at professional footballer level. However, he has the heart the size of a cowardly pea. Pathetic levels of desire and application.

Carrick is not fantastic. He's good and was wrongly criticised for a number of years.

Pirlo, Xavi, Schweinsteiger and Scholes are fantastic.

Cleverley is just smack average and wouldn't start for any of the other clubs trying to win the CL.

Guest neesy111

Ruud Van Nistelrooy was the best 18 yard box striker of his generation.

The last great one. Interesting he won very little in his career. That type (which Cisse is one but inferior) is a little obsolete in modern footy

Didn't win the CL.  Won a few league titles though.