Joelinton

Stifler

I also thought he played alright today. Honestly, I am starting to feel for this guy. He's no way a 40m player but I have no doubt he would be much better if the team actually played to his strengths and had an actual well trained attacking plan.

I also thought he played alright today. Honestly, I am starting to feel for this guy. He's no way a 40m player but I have no doubt he would be much better if the team actually played to his strengths and had an actual well trained attacking plan.

And his strengths are?  Seriously, his hold up play is shocking, he can't head a ball, he does not know how to run the channels and his movement in the box is non existent.  Never in a million years is this bloke a striker!

And his strengths are?  Seriously, his hold up play is shocking, he can't head a ball, he does not know how to run the channels and his movement in the box is non existent.  Never in a million years is this bloke a striker!

I don't think hes a striker either. However, he shows flashes of decent play on the wings now and again. Having said that, I do feel for him because there is usually fuck all for him to pass to most of the time he has the ball with him in the final third and/or when its hoofed up to him.

He's shit, but I feel he could look somewhat decent if we had something of a well drilled attacking plan. Still, not a 40m player and most certainly not a striker/player you rely on for regular goals at this level - which just makes the transfer all the more baffling.

I don't think hes a striker either. However, he shows flashes of decent play on the wings now and again. Having said that, I do feel for him because there is usually fuck all for him to pass to most of the time he has the ball with him.

He's shit, but I feel he could look somewhat decent if we had something of a well drilled attacking plan. Still, not a 40m player and most certainly not a striker/player you rely on for regular goals at this level - which just makes the transfer all the more baffling.

Well at least we both agree he is shit.  I certainly haven't seen these flashes of decent play however.  He doesn't even have any pace.  I haven't got a clue why he is here, what purpose he is or even how he ended up being a professional and getting paid for it.  I do agree we play with no game plan etc

Guest Howaythetoon

Honestly a prime Shearer would only be on 5-6 goals in this side.

A retired Shearer would still get 5-6 goals more in this side than Joelinton.

At one point ASM broke away from the half way line, usual type of run right to the bye line and crossed the ball. Joelinton hadn't even got as far as the penalty area

Here’s the problem with the system though. If Joelinton wins a ball on halfway, there’s not a chance he’s making the ground up. This is where you need the wing-backs further up and one of the midfielders taking a gamble once we’ve won the first header. It probably helped Rondon last season that Perez wasn’t a speed merchant because it gave him the chance to turn and catch up with play. ASM and Almiron are heads down, full pelt, there’s little chance Joelinton even if he does bust a gut is going to get there.

At one point ASM broke away from the half way line, usual type of run right to the bye line and crossed the ball. Joelinton hadn't even got as far as the penalty area

Here’s the problem with the system though. If Joelinton wins a ball on halfway, there’s not a chance he’s making the ground up. This is where you need the wing-backs further up and one of the midfielders taking a gamble once we’ve won the first header. It probably helped Rondon last season that Perez wasn’t a speed merchant because it gave him the chance to turn and catch up with play. ASM and Almiron are heads down, full pelt, there’s little chance Joelinton even if he does bust a gut is going to get there.

Perfectly put :thup:

It's happened numerous times this season.

And guess what? The manager has still not addressed it, or sought to resolve it in anyway.

Find it a little odd Bruce said he wasn’t played as a no9 most of his career post game then criticised him for not getting into the box and only getting one goal this season. I guess he’s right in certain regards. I guess we can’t do this at present but maybe trying playing him in the position he’s used to in future and see what happens?

I struggle to see how Joelinton was any good on the wing for Hoffenheim as none of his attributes look suited to playing out wide. He isn't suited to this system either up front or out wide as he's not fast enough for the latter, and not good enough at winning the 40-60 balls for the former.

All that said, even in a system perfectly suited to him I'm still not sure he'd ever get you 10 goals a season. So you're going to need consistent goal scoring wide players or to give him a strike partner. The more time goes on it just looks a worse and worse piece of transfer business, as highlighted by Rafa 12 months ago. 

I struggle to see how Joelinton was any good on the wing for Hoffenheim as none of his attributes look suited to playing out wide. He isn't suited to this system either up front or out wide as he's not fast enough for the latter, and not good enough at winning the 40-60 balls for the former.

All that said, even in a system perfectly suited to him I'm still not sure he'd ever get you 10 goals a season. So you're going to need consistent goal scoring wide players or to give him a strike partner. The more time goes on it just looks a worse and worse piece of transfer business, as highlighted by Rafa 12 months ago. 

I think he was on the wing in the same way that Perez is on the wing for Leicester. As you say I don't see how he could any other way as he doesn't have a trick and isn't overly quick.

Hoffenheim also played a 3-4-2-1 last season, and so when he played 'wide' it was more narrow. Similar to how Almiron and Perez played for us under Rafa last season.

Otherwise in a more traditional setup, it was more the way Perez is currently used for Leicester like Disco said.

Who have Hoffenheim replaced him with out of interest?

Some of these guys - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tsg-1899-hoffenheim/transfers/verein/533

They changed manager in the summer though so there's a fair chance they've changed system/style (other managers seem to be capable of performing such sourcery). Can't say I watch much German fussball though.