Joelinton

Stifler

Maybe the guy has ability but it didn't show yesterday and I'd put that down to Bruce.  It looked like Almirion was told to just keep running, Joelinton was told to stay close to the defenders and not try to find space.  The team just weren't compact and when we got possession we just seemed to stretch and not move forward as a unit.  By the second half the players were just doing whatever they fancied as there was no game plan.

It won't be long before the players get fed up with this mess

forcing Joelinton to be a true target man and not allow him to use his dynamic pace and strength will limit his influence on attack.

One thing I notice about our strikers / attackers is they rarely hit the ball clean on shots. Always snatching at them - contrast to Tammy Abraham’s first major effort yesterday where he really took a second to get a proper hit on the ball. Joelinton did so well to fashion his own chance in the first half and you just knew he would rush that shot.

I did like that chance he created for himself at the edge of the box which was saved pretty easily in the end. Nice foot work.

You do just worry whether him & Almiron could be Perez & Mitrovic all over again though. A bit raw to be leading the line for a full season at this level.

Guest godzilla

I did like that chance he created for himself at the edge of the box which was saved pretty easily in the end. Nice foot work.

You do just worry whether him & Almiron could be Perez & Mitrovic all over again though. A bit raw to be leading the line for a full season at this level.

Almiron looks like he could be a good player but will be judged on goals and assists. Big couple of months for him coming up as he certainly needs to improve in that area. He looked absolutely knackered in the second half also.

Almiron looks like he could be a good player but will be judged on goals and assists. Big couple of months for him coming up as he certainly needs to improve in that area. He looked absolutely knackered in the second half also.

But Brucey has been running them into the ground in training for 4 weeks, they should be the fittest team in the league?!

you do just worry whether him & Almiron could be Perez & Mitrovic all over again though. A bit raw to be leading the line for a full season at this level.

Bound to happen imo. Having lost Perez, Almiron is basically just Perez pre-Almiron. All of the spark and creativity in the final third - particular centrally - is now his responsibility, rather than it being shared and therefore collectively more productive.

I must be in a different camp. I think he was magnificant and showed why he’s worth the price tag.

He was very decent in the first half, but woeful in the second.  Magnificent is certainly over egging it.

Because genius Bruce fucked up the whole team completely in second half.

What I observe (and my focus) is the area he covered and his physical duel with Arsenal’s CB. Joelinton nearly won all these battles, no matter it’s in the air or on the ground. In addition, you should pay attention on his ball touch with both foot. Although he not up to Vidukas level yet, he definitely edges it over Rondon.

He may not save us from relegation (which is good) but his quality is there, and I am pretty sure I ain’t alone. Just like Sissoko and Wijnaldum, he would have no problem finding a top 4 team after having a showcase season with us.

I remember saying exactly that when we started that season under McClaren. I like the look of both players, but they would really benefit from having a proven manager to guide them and take some pressure off. Rafa was always very supportive of Perez even when he wasn't scoring goals. I can't see Bruce having such a cool head. He was blowing a gasket when Willems got his instructions mixed up yesterday.

you do just worry whether him & Almiron could be Perez & Mitrovic all over again though. A bit raw to be leading the line for a full season at this level.

Bound to happen imo. Having lost Perez, Almiron is basically just Perez pre-Almiron. All of the spark and creativity in the final third - particular centrally - is now his responsibility, rather than it being shared and therefore collectively more productive.

Thought the team badly missed the third spoke to the attacking trio yesterday from last seasons formation. Seemed like many times there was only one in the box and/or no-one coming round on the cover to pick up overhit balls in plus it meant nearly everything went through the centre in the first half with some success tbf although it is easier to defend against. Wasn't like the extra man in centre midfield was doing much either. Shelvey and Longstaff were both pretty ineffectual.

Guest chopey

I quite like this Joelinton fella but I can totally see why Rafa had no intention of spunking 75% of his transfer budget on him.

Hopefully yesterday makes Shelvey redundant and he just copies Rafa’s system with Maximin in. Longstaff was poor yesterday.

Thought about this earlier, seeing as he's inherited a very similar squad to how we started last season you'd imagine he'd have reviewed it to see what the crack was. If he had then he'd have seen that Rondon & Perez were isolated for months and part of the issue was Shelvey. Ki/Longstaff and then Almiron + 2 up fixed the issue.

What an absolute knacker.

Hopefully yesterday makes Shelvey redundant and he just copies Rafa’s system with Maximin in. Longstaff was poor yesterday.

Thought about this earlier, seeing as he's inherited a very similar squad to how we started last season you'd imagine he'd have reviewed it to see what the crack was. If he had then he'd have seen that Rondon & Perez were isolated for months and part of the issue was Shelvey. Ki/Longstaff and then Almiron + 2 up fixed the issue.

What an absolute knacker.

I thought on paper the three in midfield looked good in pre-season. Hayden was the one getting forward joining the attack but after seeing Longstaff yesterday, I’m hoping it was a one-off because we’re in trouble otherwise.

Was against Arsenal though - but in any case - i wonder if Longstaff's first competitive match in some time + the weather + somewhat bad day overall ?

I think it was probably the lack of structure with all recent changes, in both players and coaches. Rafa was very detailed about where players go and running channels so midfielders would know where to find the runners. Another poster, David Edgar said this in the match thread, and I think it was probably on the mark.