Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

Unconfirmed but I'm hearing you don't need to always offer players a 6 year deal.

A 2 year contract on "fair" wages with a clause to review the salary based on appearances and performance would seem reasonable. Problem is, another club could take the risk and offer better terms.

I think Joelinton got a 6 year contract so Ashley isn't done with the super long contracts just yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Aye with them both being announced at the same time.

The Chronicle can do a 30 page collectors pull out piece on them and how the club is in safe hands with a Geordie in charge and Geordies running the midfield.

How are we going to boo him if he goes abroad? 

Hope humpty numpty has the foresight to arrange a pre-season friendly with Shortstaffs new team so the wongaloids can give him the reception his disgusting ambition and desire to improve himself deserves.

‘They hold all the power these days. We often see it with young players’.

Excellent man management there Steve. You fat cunt.

:jesuswept: Just seen those quotes from him. That is unreal to call a young player out like that, and basically blame him/his agent for the contract situation.  :idiot2:

Suspect it may be bollocks but doesn't sound like what should be the easiest contract talks are going well.

Wonder if both brothers are being advised to run down their contracts now.

Sean’s doesn’t end until 2022 so he’ll be waiting a while.

Let's hope he gets the Perez treatment on his return to St James' with another team. How dare he leave for a club with ambition.

But then the Carroll treatment if he heroically comes home on a free after pissing his career away. What a boon it would be for Jack Colback’s team ahead of the season at the Lonsdale Slip-on Dome.

Matty might be thinking twice about staying if he's aware of interest from other clubs. Not sure any players are looking at our current style of play and management and getting excited about it. I'm certain Schar for one will be pushing for a move away.

He's probably getting fucked by the club money wise in the negotiations. Often happens when a kid comes through for their local team. The club thinks they can take advantage of their loyalty

I thought the opposite with Matty. Second cup game I’ve seen him play where he completely goes missing in the second half and his closing down/tackles is nowhere near the player. He’s got a long way to go if he’s going to make it at a top level.