General press coverage

Optimistic Nut

Guest Carrick18

I still remember that remark from one of the Athletic founders saying they'd wait out every local paper and watch them bleed out essentially.  :anguish:

Not a big fan of the brand split of podcasts. Feels like we've now got two sub-par pods. Fair play to Iain Macintosh, I bet he's made a pretty penny on what was essentially a risky punt.

Hmm I still quite like both tbh. I really like Daniel Storey and Michael Cox on Totally but almost everyone else they have on I can take or leave.

Aye, despite what I said I usually still listen to both. Would agree with you RE: those two even if you merged both podcasts. Sid Lowe is really, really good too. The rest are a bit of mish mash to being fairly unlikeable.

And to Carrick, they probably won’t have to wait too long thanks to Covid but given they don’t really report news as such I wonder if they’ll change their approach in time. Don’t know what they do for the US stuff.

Guest Carrick18

Hmm I still quite like both tbh. I really like Daniel Storey and Michael Cox on Totally but almost everyone else they have on I can take or leave.

Aye, despite what I said I usually still listen to both. Would agree with you RE: those two even if you merged both podcasts. Sid Lowe is really, really good too. The rest are a bit of mish mash to being fairly unlikeable.

And to Carrick, they probably won’t have to wait too long thanks to Covid but given they don’t really report news as such I wonder if they’ll change their approach in time. Don’t know what they do for the US stuff.

So I can't speak to the US sports coverage, but as it relates to the dirty soccer stuff, they actually caused quite a stir among supporters.

They essentially billed themselves, as they have in the UK, as being dedicated to every MLS team with coverage of the lower leagues when relevant. They got a raft of sign-ups after poaching a lot of the major beat reporters and then they massively dialled that coverage back and released several writers. They became 'regional' in their coverage, and in some cases they had no-one for major places like New York for example.

I will be very surprised if they're still employing full-time coverage of Championship teams in 18 months time.

Guest chopey

So I can't speak to the US sports coverage, but as it relates to the dirty soccer stuff, they actually caused quite a stir among supporters.

They essentially billed themselves, as they have in the UK, as being dedicated to every MLS team with coverage of the lower leagues when relevant. They got a raft of sign-ups after poaching a lot of the major beat reporters and then they massively dialled that coverage back and released several writers. They became 'regional' in their coverage, and in some cases they had no-one for major places like New York for example.

I will be very surprised if they're still employing full-time coverage of Championship teams in 18 months time.

I've just signed up on the £29.99 a year offer and it said every Premier league game would be covered and 5 Championship games.

Guest Carrick18

There you go then.

I know they have Forest and Derby covered and Leeds. Phil Hay might keep his job based on the numbers, but I'd be very surprised (baring promotion) if Derby does. Nothing special there.

I enjoyed the Jamie Vardy piece the other day. He's gone from WKD to being a keen gardener and is a proper Maths whizz - he kept answering questions with Maths banter :lol:

He's one goal away from 100 in the PL, which is remarkable for his journey.

I enjoyed the Jamie Vardy piece the other day. He's gone from WKD to being a keen gardener and is a proper Maths whizz - he kept answering questions with Maths banter :lol:

He's one goal away from 100 in the PL, which is remarkable for his journey.

Ha aye, cracking read!

Guest chopey

Just finished reading the Athletic piece on the decline of Hull City. Fascinating read.

Aye that's my lunch time read tomorrow, really impressed with the quality of the Athletic.