General press coverage

Optimistic Nut

Guest Carrick18

Which of them is doing Stewie Griffin impressions? :lol: Good Lord what next? Garlic bread?

It requires a bit of context, but basically George says the words 'issues' in a weird way (almost like issuuus'). Taylor did an impression of it and they said it sounded like Stewie Griffin.

Which of them is doing Stewie Griffin impressions? :lol: Good Lord what next? Garlic bread?

It requires a bit of context, but basically George says the words 'issues' in a weird way (almost like issuuus'). Taylor did an impression of it and they said it sounded like Stewie Griffin.

Sounded shit with and without context.

Guest Carrick18

Oh, to be clear, I was not trying to big it up, more explain how they fell into that ravine.

Guest Carrick18

Subscribe to the Athletic and the written work covering NUFC is decent if sometimes a bit 'on the fencey' particularly pre-takeover rumours.

Clearly they're fans of Bruce, the bloke, and that's borne out in the coverage he's recieved all year.

The podcast is utter bilge though.

The 'Sergeant Waffles' craic is diabolical and actually demeans him massively like he's the work experience kid.

He plays that role very well, by the way, he comes across as green as f***.

The bloke hosting the podcast has the worst chat of all time and Caulkin doesn't cover himself in glory.

I think you have a vision/opinion of an author/journo and then you hear their chat and are instantly let down. Caulkin is that for me.

He'd be better off sticking to written work imho.

Sacking the plum who hosts it off and giving Waugh a couple of years to develop then reconsider with a bit more gravitas around it.

:thup: couldn't agree more about the hosting and Waugh. It's almost the antithesis of the Athletic output n all, canny tabloid.

Disco[/member] On Waugh, by the way, it's like he knows he doesn't belong. He's forever self-depricating to the point where you actually think 'Are you experienced enough for this gig?'. Caulkin is obviously the senior writer but Waugh genuinely comes across like the work experience kid.

Even in the most recent podcast he talks about writing a piece about why PIF might want to buy NUFC and whether there is an economic angle to it and almost immediately says 'I wrote this with the help of Joe Bloggs because he knows more about the finance stuff than me!'.

Almost like a cop-out/lack of confidence in his own work.

He's more Ryder than Caulkin at this moment in time that's for sure.

To be fair, Waugh spent a few years at the Chronicle, he's hardly sat on the shoulders of giants, especially when it comes to broadcast stuff. You can be a good writer and a woeful podcaster/pundit, and I think that's where he's at. Two north-east writers always felt like overkill anyway.

Guest neesy111

Remember when someone dobbed Disco[/member] in to Taylor with a screenshot and he spent days tweeting about it. :lol:

Even I don’t remember that. His personality does rub me up the wrong way mind so is entirely plausible. Wor lass has just asked me what I’m laughing at RE your documentary comment n all.

I found it, it wasn't you, it was neesy111[/member]  :lol:

https://www.newcastle-online.org/forum/index.php?topic=96984.425

I had forgotten about that. :lol: :lol:

I've still got bags of time for Caulkin and there's probably no other writer whose work I'd sooner read when it comes to Newcastle stuff. And obviously his connections with the incumbent owners have been invaluable recently.

I do agree that he's lost his edge since joining The Athletic, mind you. I suppose the 'problem' is that, with having dedicated club writers, The Athletic becomes a hosting platform for a bunch of fanzines, and there'll be plenty of subscribers who only read the stuff about their own club. In that sense it's basically like a (much, much higher) quality version of the Chronicle, with lots of light-hearted good news stories being written for Newcastle fans, the likes of which you'd never see Caulkin producing for The Times. At The Times, the audience was much broader and you got the feeling Caulkin was speaking on behalf of Newcastle fans - usually the disgruntled ones - rather than to them. It had a real sense of "this is what we've got to put up with, world." And that's why he was obviously so heralded on here.

I don't really know what his angle is supposed to be in this current format and I agree that some of his pieces haven't really done much for me. The big pieces like the away day at Everton and radgie Ritchie; I couldn't care less, to be frank, but then again I've never felt so detached from the club, and I'd just get frustrated that they weren't filling pages with more meaningful exposes on what a disgrace we were/are. Hopefully that sort of stuff will strike more of a chord when we're rid of the parasite.

He'll still be a legend if only for his pieces during years gone by, where I felt like he was the only writer out there who I could rely on to keep me sane, particularly during the Pardew years.

Great post this Yorkie.

Is the pod from today any good?

I listened to half an hour of it and seemed alright.

General gist of it was Caulkins still confident, bulk of the checks have been done, only thing thats stopping it is the privacy and he suspects they'll be negotiating with PIF to make sure its watertight before they come to a conclusion.

General gist of it was Caulkins still confident, bulk of the checks have been done, only thing thats stopping it is the privacy and he suspects they'll be negotiating with PIF to make sure its watertight before they come to a conclusion.

Sounds positive. I'll give it listen later on.

I'd say he definitely didn't sound concerned put it that way.

I'd say he definitely didn't sound concerned put it that way.

He's a pretty calm bloke to be honest. Hopefully his confidence isn't misplaced.

Guest Carrick18

He’s done well for himself alright :lol:

There was a big piece in GQ that talks about the bloke that put this all together.

He has a truly stupendous write up from 'anonymous sources'. One thinks he's a good team builder, the other a total chancer.  :lol:

Always found Taylor and Besty to be quite a contrast. Don't think Besty has any airs or graces.

Doesn't surprise me, I wondered where the money was coming from. When Max Rushden did the Ramble Meets show, he told the story of when Totally was formed - they sprung it on the Guardian right before the season started that they were going independent, fully expecting the Guardian to panic and buy them out but they just got told to fuck off.

Doesn't surprise me, I wondered where the money was coming from. When Max Rushden did the Ramble Meets show, he told the story of when Totally was formed - they sprung it on the Guardian right before the season started that they were going independent, fully expecting the Guardian to panic and buy them out but they just got told to fuck off.

They probably should have, the Guardian one has gone badly downhill IMO.