General press coverage

Optimistic Nut

Where did it all go wrong for Deportivo La Coruña?

Twenty years after winning La Liga, the club are battling to avoid relegation to the third tier. How did it come to this?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/copa90/2020/feb/25/deportivo-la-coruna-la-liga-wrong-spain?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium=&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1582651401

• 2 weeks later...

Where did it all go wrong for Deportivo La Coruña?

Twenty years after winning La Liga, the club are battling to avoid relegation to the third tier. How did it come to this?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/copa90/2020/feb/25/deportivo-la-coruna-la-liga-wrong-spain?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium=&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1582651401

I’ve followed them this season, at least they’re not rock bottom anymore as they were for a long time. They’ve had a real upturn in form since New Year and are currently 17th. But yeah, awful season.

No fucking mention that staving off relegation is now seen as a successful season, year in year out.

The excitement and satisfaction coming from Bruce and the media that we've nearly hit 40 points is fucking disgusting.

Slightly to the side of this topic, there's a couple of times I've seen a journo's wage guessed at (the guess is usually about 35k pa) and then the post goes onto look down on that amount as if it's beneath them. I didn't realise we were all spaceman cowboy millionaires on here these days.

Sorry if the folk who do it didn't mean for it to sound that way and I've just picked it up wrong, but it's felt that way to me.

Well, that was the inflection given to it by to the under butler who read it to out to me anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Subscribe to the Athletic and the written work covering NUFC is decent if sometimes a bit 'on the fencey' particularly pre-takeover rumours.

Clearly they're fans of Bruce, the bloke, and that's borne out in the coverage he's recieved all year.

The podcast is utter bilge though.

The 'Sergeant Waffles' craic is diabolical and actually demeans him massively like he's the work experience kid.

He plays that role very well, by the way, he comes across as green as fuck.

The bloke hosting the podcast has the worst chat of all time and Caulkin doesn't cover himself in glory.

I think you have a vision/opinion of an author/journo and then you hear their chat and are instantly let down. Caulkin is that for me.

He'd be better off sticking to written work imho.

Sacking the plum who hosts it off and giving Waugh a couple of years to develop then reconsider with a bit more gravitas around it.

Agree about Waugh, have nowt against the bloke as a journalist but he makes barley water seem thrilling when you hear him on the podcast.

That said, the host has unbearably shite patter too and George is kinda roped into it all. Unless George is talking takeover I can't be arsed with it tbh.

Possibly because there is fuck all going on right now so they have to chat shit?

Been the same since they started it tbf but got increasingly worse as that wanker hosting it has increased his input/shit chat and his mocking of the work experience kid.

Caulkin reflects his written self in every other podcast I've heard him on, I don't know why the craic is so bad on Pod on the Tyne. :lol: There's no need.

Agreed that he used to be better to listen to as guests on other platforms but I think he's (seemingly happily) dragged to the level of chat from the bellend host.