Achraf Lazaar leaves NUFC by mutual consent

Disco

I was at a cup match last season where he started. There wasn't a single thing about him that looked like a left back, he looked like a winger that wasn't great at defending. I can't work out why he plays there.

Was Wolves at home. No idea why we bought him at all tbqh.

• 2 weeks later...

He said: “When I signed with Benevento on August 31st, it was the end of a nightmare. I never played, and Benitez didn’t give an explanation. He just kept telling me that I was more of a player for the Premier League or Serie A than for the Championship.

“It’s a shame, as he wanted me at all costs. In July last year, I was about to sign with Fiorentina, where the contracts were already ready, when he started calling me relentlessly to convince me to go to Newcastle. Too bad his words were just words: what a disappointment.”

• 5 months later...

http://www.nufc.com/

Having failed to make an impression at Newcastle since arriving from Palermo in August 2016, attempts to kick-start the faltering career of Achraaf Lazaar back in Serie A have proved to be equally disastrous.

Moroccan-born but raised in Italy, the 26 year-old made the last of his ten United appearances in the League Cup defeat by Nottingham Forest back in August, before departing on loan to Benevento.

That was intended to be a season-long switch, but after playing just nine times for the side who have managed just a solitary win all season, a change of coach has seen Lazaar lose his place completely.

Reportedly in Spain for treatment on an injury before Christmas, he was then twice named as an unused substitute for league fixtures during January.

However the left-sided player was then omitted from the revised squad published following the closure of the transfer window - despite the club leaving four of the 25 available slots unoccupied.

The three clubs in a season rule means that Lazaar will now be idle until June, regardless of his contractual status (at present he's our player until 2021).

That also removes any faint hopes he may have retained of forcing his way back into the Morocco squad for this summer's World Cup Finals.

• 5 months later...

This guys been treated like absolute muck since coming here

Is it not just a case of him not being good enough? We got him a loan as soon as he was surplus to requirements.

I wonder what persuaded Rafa he would be a useful addition to our squad? Seems to have been a very poorly researched signing.