Achraf Lazaar leaves NUFC by mutual consent

Disco

Get in. 

No idea why he didn't make it here, but I guess he wasn't following instructions, learning the language, putting enough effort into training...  One of them.

The one signing from last summer I was excited about so quite a disappointment it didn't work out. We should be able to recoup our layout, maybe more, on him though.

Like most of us, I've seen little of him to judge but the fact that he can't get past Dummett who has been atrocious this pre-season says a lot about the guy. Rafa doesn't even want to look at the guy, look at the Wolfsburg game. Clark had to play the full 90 mins, Mbemba came on and played right back, Gamez had to go to left back and there wasn't another CB to replace Clark.

Really odd situation, surely Rafa sanctioned the deal and knew something about the player, but what he's seen in training obviously makes him think he's not cut out for the English game.

Got a decent look at him when he played in the Hull cup game.  He did some good stuff with the ball and looked pacey but also bottled a 50/50 on the halfway line so my guess is that Rafa has him in the "soft as s****" category.  Probably the right decision, our fans never have much patience with those types, Thauvin is a recent example.

Looks like he could be off soon - just put on his Instagram story he is meeting some Italian football agent - Andrea Cattoli.

That's his agent.

:lol:

He must look like white-hot dogshit in training, has barely seen any time on the field.

Got a decent look at him when he played in the Hull cup game.  He did some good stuff with the ball and looked pacey but also bottled a 50/50 on the halfway line so my guess is that Rafa has him in the "soft as s****" category.  Probably the right decision, our fans never have much patience with those types, Thauvin is a recent example.

Another strange one, I would have assumed that if he was as soft as shite, Rafa would have picked that up in the scouting reports, seeing as he supposedly vets the players for character before committing.

Rafa doesn't tend to have much patience for players who seemingly struggle with instructions - I'd guess that's why Mbemba has slipped down the pecking order. In Lazaar's case it's a bit more surprising given in Italy it's always been 'the system is everything' but then maybe my preconceived ideas of Italian football stemmed from watching it on Channel 4 about 20 years ago are a bit out of date.

Either way, bye!

Palermo played 3-5-2, 4-3-1-2 (one of the 3 dropping in as a CB) or variations of this system when he was there. This means he was always played as a left midfielder or wing-back rather than a full back in the traditional sense.

In that context his signing never made sense. Not even like he could have played further forward, as the wide player in a 4-2-3-1 is a very different role too.

Either he was signed without proper scouting or we wrongly thought he could adapt to a new position.

Transfermarkt shows him having 50 games of playing time in Serie A over two seasons, the first with his club (featuring Dybala) comfortably mid-table. You would think the typical player from there would get playing time in the Championship.

Benitez will remember him because he scored a 40-yarder against Napoli in 14/15. The shot was hit centrally though and the keeper comically lost the bounce.

Another strange one, I would have assumed that if he was as soft as s****, Rafa would have picked that up in the scouting reports, seeing as he supposedly vets the players for character before committing.

I can only go off what i saw first hand.  It's the only time i've seen him close up and for a decent amount of minutes.  I could be totally wrong of course.

Who is our back up LB? If we are looking to shift him and Haidara.

Gamez

He has played RB every time I've seen him including pre-season at Hearts. Also fairly right footed it seemed.

Gamez

He has played RB every time I've seen him including pre-season at Hearts. Also fairly right footed it seemed.

None the less he would be the back up in that position. It's almost like we need to sign another left back. If only someone like Gibbs was available...

Gamez

None the less he would be the back up in that position. It's almost like we need to sign another left back. If only someone like Gibbs was available...

Would've liked to see this lad to be given a few games to see if he's up to it but clearly not rated by Rafa.

If our budget is what it appears to be then what Arsenal want for Gibbs is out of our reach for a LB. Can't say I'm that bothered about him as I don't think he has much hunger in him these days.

Gamez

Would've liked to see this lad to be given a few games to see if he's up to it but clearly not rated by Rafa.

If our budget is what it appears to be then what Arsenal want for Gibbs is out of our reach for a LB. Can't say I'm that bothered about him as I don't think he has much hunger in him these days.

Mitchell Dijks would be a good cheap option given he is in his last year of his contract at Ajax. Giant strong left back at 6'4 got rave reviews on loan at Norwich last season. Apparently they wanted to keep him on but couldn't afford his wages to keep him on permanently had a fee agreement of just €3m.

• 3 weeks later...