Achraf Lazaar leaves NUFC by mutual consent

Disco

Guest reefatoon

I don't understand how he is going to gain any sharpness, get used to the league/tempo and gel with the team if he is not given game time. He absolutely should start the next 5-6 games or so, regardless of how he performs.

We should be able to carry some players in this team and get results at the same time. If not, we shouldn't have signed him in the first place.

Totally potty idea, he should be blooded with late bench cameos when games are already won. The goal this season is promotion not to experiment beyond what is necessary.

Was just about to say this. Mental idea.

He was poor last night to be fair. His first few crosses in the first half flew straight out of play, he gave the ball away more than once too. Improved slightly in the second half and had a couple of decent moments. Think he could be a decent player when he's fully settled in, mind.

I don't understand how he is going to gain any sharpness, get used to the league/tempo and gel with the team if he is not given game time. He absolutely should start the next 5-6 games or so, regardless of how he performs.

We should be able to carry some players in this team and get results at the same time. If not, we shouldn't have signed him in the first place.

Totally potty idea, he should be blooded with late bench cameos when games are already won. The goal this season is promotion not to experiment beyond what is necessary.

Guess it's just a difference of philosophies. Applying your method, in my mind, just delays the process. This isn't some 16 year old academy player, so we shouldn't spend 6+ months easing him into things to see if he is up to it.

He has a much higher skill ceiling than Dummett, so a couple of bad performances is worth it in my mind if he gets up to speed quicker for the sake of our long term results this season.

It showed yesterday that we can get results even if he doesn't play particularly well, so why not persist with him for a few more games even if his performance level is inconsistent/poor?

Thankfully I don't think Rafa follows this mantra. Only way this lad gets a run in the team like that is injuries

Guess it's just a difference of philosophies. Applying your method, in my mind, just delays the process. This isn't some 16 year old academy player, so we shouldn't spend 6+ months easing him into things to see if he is up to it.

He has a much higher skill ceiling than Dummett, so a couple of bad performances is worth it in my mind if he gets up to speed quicker for the sake of our long term results this season.

It showed yesterday that we can get results even if he doesn't play particularly well, so why not persist with him for a few more games even if his performance level is inconsistent/poor?

Because Newcastle United is a meritocracy not an old boys club and Dummett has been playing better than Lazaar? Dummett gets too much stick on here. Really frustrates me how much time we give to new signings on here while perpetually writing off our current XI. Within the last week I've seen posters on here suggest Diame is better than Sissoko, Ritchie is better than Townsend and now Lazaar should be starting ahead of Dummett after one game during which he was by all accounts awful against a second string Wolves side.

I'm not saying we should write him off but going off last wednesday's game he doesn't sound ready yet and he needs to earn his place.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like his attitude, even though he's barely played, there's no whinging going on, he's just biding his time and adapting to the game here. Still think he'll be a good signing, looking forward to seeing more from him.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad this guy improved significantly on what was (by all accounts) an absolute horror show in his first appearance. Thought he entered the team philosophy with no qualms at all and got forward well too. Real shame that effort that cracked the bar didn't drop in.