Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

I watched him a fair bit for Leeds and I dsagree like, works the channels and has the ability to run at defenders and brings his teammates into the game well, he's not a poacher. Villa didn't need him though, Kodjia looks a great buy.

He's quite ok technically at this level but the major problem is that he's too one paced. Wullie is right about him never being involved for even a play off chasing side should have been a worry. Was very glad we never went near him.

McCormack's goal record coupled with the fact he's never been in a team anywhere near promotion should have set alarm bells ringing, and I said as much when they signed him. Darren Bent is a fair comparison. All goals and offers sod all else.

:thup: Aye agree completely.

Bent has done it at a decent level though. I couldn't see McCormack getting 10-15 goals in a Premier League side. I'd say more Michael Chopra. Seemed to score a fair few down here but did he ever get close to promotion?

Cardiff were close, no?

Michael Chopra? Howay man.

McCormack's done well at every team he's been at and has 66 league goals over the last 3 seasons. He played on the wings a lot for Leeds too after Snodgrass left, otherwise he'd probably be hitting around 20 a season the past 5 year. No idea how he would have done in the Premiership like, I don't think it's worth guessing when Jamie Vardy comes up and rapes the league*.

Darren Bent was probably a far better striker mind, I just don't think they're that similar.

EDIT: *although like Sewelly says he is pretty one paced, where as Vardy is the exact opposite.

Can't pretend I've seen a lot of him, but it's a bit harsh to use the fact his teams don't usually push for promotion against him, maybe the rest of the team was crap and he was doing a great job just scoring what he did?

If you've watched him regularly and don't rate him fair enough but that point seems potentially a little unfair.

Unlucky with the chance early on.  His movement is usually pretty good.  But worryingly, he seemed to be on a different wavelength for a lot of the night.  Regularly seemed to be making a run to an area and the ball ended up nowhere near him.  Not sure who's fault that is.  As we know Rafa's methods rely on certain players making particular runs in different situations.  So could be the final ball being misplaced, but it might be on him freelancing and not following instructions?

He looked absolutely knackered yesterday as the game went on, constantly snatching at chances when they came.

The build up play was so slow and sideways and Hull were sitting so deep we were never going to get the chance to thread through killer passes to him, especially not when he was that wrecked so he's incapable of turning his man and getting some conviction on his shots.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/10688132/newcastles-dwight-gayle-takes-on-efl-weeklys-10-to-tackle

What do your team-mates call you?

Gayley. Not very imaginative, but nice and simple.

What is the best thing about playing for Newcastle?

Playing in front of 52,000 fans every week and selling out away stadiums every week as well. It's fantastic and amazing to play in front of them.

Who's your best team-mate in football?

Probably Fraser Campbell at Palace.

Toughest opponent so far this season?

Dominic Iorfa at Wolves. He has a lot of good attributes and they were good when they were played against and made it hard. They were a tough team to play and beat us on the day.

What is your squad number and what is its significance?

Number nine and I know the history it holds and it's fantastic to wear it. I feel privileged to do so. Alan Shearer congratulated me when I scored my hat-trick against Norwich and there was a bit of amazement to hear from him. Watching him play when I was growing up, it's amazing to get that sort of comment.

Best moment in football so far?

Playing in the FA Cup final last year was one of the best. Growing up knowing the importance of the cup and the excitement it gave me watching it. It was a really good experience.

Worst moment?

Getting relegated from the Championship with Peterborough was a bad one.

Which team do you support?

I don't really. You don't really support anyone when you start playing, you just concentrate on the team you play for. When I was growing up it was Manchester United.

What was your initiation song at Newcastle when you joined?

Wonderwall by Oasis. It got booed off, the boys were not too happy. I'm a bit tone deaf. Grant [Hall] was a great singer…he was curled up in a ball but what came out of his mouth was decent!

Where will Newcastle finish this season?

Top I hope, but we're not getting complacent so we need to keep going and pick up results and see where it takes us at the end of the season.