Andy Carroll (now playing for Amiens SC)

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

It would be nice to see Gayle get on the pitch as I'm certain he'd offer more to actually scoring, at least AC does well to defend long balls and set pieces thus far. I still would love to see him bang in a trademark header at home though.

I think that's the point half the time - the extra solidity Wor Andy provides defending set pieces. He's certainly not adding anything to the attack.

Could we not just have bought a big centre back to do that?

I think that's the point half the time - the extra solidity Wor Andy provides defending set pieces. He's certainly not adding anything to the attack.

Nah I think we're more than covered for centre halves! He is a good option to come off the bench for the last 20 minutes and we are either needing to defend a one goal lead or chasing a goal. His best work this season has come in our own penalty box and not the opposition's so far, it has to be said.

:saylor:

Bring him home.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope he starts on Saturday.

I do, so people will see he's absolutely finished.

Yep. Seeing loads of people saying play Carroll & Gayle yet we managed to look even worse after these two came on. Gayle was on the pitch for 20 minutes and honestly can’t remember him touching the ball. Carroll managed a decent shot then spent the rest of the time literally falling about the place.

One thing was noticeable after Carroll and Gayle came on, we started hoofing the ball even earlier. The ball was coming down with snow on it, but poor Andy just couldn't get a clean deflection off his bonce into some random space where Gayle may or may not have been.

That effort on the volley was pretty tasty, like. For all he's basically broken, he still looks more potent than Joelinton. And at least when he's on the pitch, there's a discernible gameplan; even if it is useless, it's identifiable as route one. Contrast that with whatever the Almiron/ASM/Joelinton mess is supposed to be.